Cat exhaust systems help?

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
The acufab x pipe and the cat pipe from heffener? does anyone have any of them installed and can you comment on looks, sound ect... acufab $1500 heff $2400 is it a case of "you get what you pay for??? or are they diff somehow?:ack I would like to have a system insatlled by the GT guys in No Ca. when they come up.

Thanks

Steve 06gt1858

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The acufab x pipe and the cat pipe from heffener? does anyone have any of them installed and can you comment on looks, sound ect... acufab $1500 heff $2400 is it a case of "you get what you pay for??? or are they diff somehow?:ack I would like to have a system insatlled by the GT guys in No Ca. when they come up.

Thanks

Steve 06gt1858

I have the X pipe. Love the sound. Some people like tips of the new Heffner set up. The X pipe is probably the simplest design and lightest set of cat back pipes. The quality is first rate !! They are all probably about the same in actual power gain which is minimal. The real advantages are the weight reduction , heat reduction and better air flow thru the engine bay.

Aug 25, 2006

Thanks

Steve 06gt1858

This hopefully remains a personal choice issue because the mechanics of those being offered, AccuFab, Heffner, etc are all closer to the same when compared to different.

I decided to install the AccuFab because I wanted a more race car looking exit; meaning the tail pipes are a purpose designed no bright work or fancy tips. I went so far as to have John aka AccuFab send me a system that was the natural stainless steel finish, completely un-polished.

Now having shared this Heffner as well as a couple others offer baffles and have a fancier looking tip; some in fact a double wall design and yet in the end I feel that it truly depends on what you are looking for.

I wanted a business looking exhaust as such was drawn to the AccuFab system however it too will soon be replaced with the complete Stainless Works exhaust system with the small metal bed cats.

The sound of the AccuFab is wonderful and IMO without drone as suspect the others to be similar.

Good luck with your quest

Shadowman

Last edited:

06gt1858

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2007
Lodi Ca.
Shadowman,

You indicated a replacement system that is coming " a complete stainless works exhaust" what are the small BED? Cats is this a new system replacing cats forward and who is working on it? my main reason for the upgarde is sound only the "bling bling" doesn't do anything for me. I like the look of raw power race look like you, would you wait for the new one, or will the acufab do the trick for me....

I took her out for a sunday afternoon ride today and she is tight no "rattlesnakes here" and runs fantastic, I found my self wanting to keep on going, 100 miles later I sadly went back to the ranch,:frown after driving this car I have decided to drive it instead of looking at it:thumbsup

Thanks as allways, I must owe you a beer by now with all your help!

Steve 06gt1858

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman,

You indicated a replacement system that is coming " a complete stainless works exhaust" what are the small BED? Cats is this a new system replacing cats forward and who is working on it? my main reason for the upgarde is sound only the "bling bling" doesn't do anything for me. I like the look of raw power race look like you, would you wait for the new one, or will the acufab do the trick for me....

I took her out for a sunday afternoon ride today and she is tight no "rattlesnakes here" and runs fantastic, I found my self wanting to keep on going, 100 miles later I sadly went back to the ranch,:frown after driving this car I have decided to drive it instead of looking at it:thumbsup

Thanks as allways, I must owe you a beer by now with all your help!

Steve 06gt1858

Yes; I will soon be installing the Stainless Works system; they offer it as a cat delete system meaning "at the race track RAW and visceral sounding" or with what are referred to as small metal bed cats which will be aggressive in as much as the AccuFab, Heffner, etc are because none of these systems mentioned use a typical muffler. The OEM muffler is replaced and it its place is a open tube system with a couple offering to install baffles at the individual request.

So as to answer your question; small metal bed cats. Small as in the physical size, metal bed the medium within the cat that heats up creating the supper heated furnace like environment through which the unspent fuel is burnt, and lastly cats indicating that they are cats versus a muffler or resonator.

This system I am installing is from the heads back; meaning all of the OEM exhaust will be removed and in its place will be stainless steel ceramic/thermal coated headers, stainless steel slip fit collectors, stainless steel small metal bed cats, stainless steel tail section with a cross over pipe integrated prior to the tail pipes exiting the gal.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions.

BTW; I am glad that you took her out and that the results were stellar and the emotions high. There is no doubt that the Prancing Horses and the Bulls are cause for the blood to boil and the emotions to to rise and yet when behind the wheel of these gals they simply feel right and ask to be exercised.

Be safe and get to know each other.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
This system I am installing is from the heads back; meaning all of the OEM exhaust will be removed and in its place will be stainless steel ceramic/thermal coated headers, stainless steel slip fit collectors, stainless steel small metal bed cats, stainless steel tail section with a cross over pipe integrated prior to the tail pipes exiting the gal.

Shadowman

Would you mind posting pictures of the exhaust system pieces (out of the box) when you get them?...and as you install them? Thanks...

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I will soon be installing the Stainless Works system;
Does the system incorporate bungs for mounting all four oxygen sensors? Do the cats perform sufficiently so as to avoid an ECM fault code from setting (CE light). Will the system pass a state emissions test (on the dyno)? Is the system a straight out the back design, unlike the cat back systems that loop up and then back down (straight out offers several advantages IMO)?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
New Cat Back exhaust system.

I have one of these ready: www.fordgtexhaust.com 4 more in process.:biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I have one of these ready: www.fordgtexhaust.com 4 more in process.:biggrin

sounds nice, but a bit too quiet for my tasting...:biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
Would you mind posting pictures of the exhaust system pieces (out of the box) when you get them?...and as you install them? Thanks...

A complete pictorial "blow by blow" will happen for all to see.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Does the system incorporate bungs for mounting all four oxygen sensors? Do the cats perform sufficiently so as to avoid an ECM fault code from setting (CE light). Will the system pass a state emissions test (on the dyno)? Is the system a straight out the back design, unlike the cat back systems that loop up and then back down (straight out offers several advantages IMO)?

Master Joe:

Good questions; yes all of the sensors are reinstalled; pre and post O2 and the EGR tube.

My experience with the systems that use small metal bed cats (have been using them for many years on numerous gals) in this state of California...... they have always passed the sniff test with absolutely no issues.

I hope this helps.

Oh by the way; the loop up design of the systems such as AccuFab, Heffner, IDA, etc has little to do with the designed flow characteristics but rather this (or something similar) was required so as to be able to transition from the OEM cats flanges which are on a horizontal plane whereas as the exit point is slightly off vertical and then add to this distance in between these two point is very close which significantly reduces one’s options. In the case of the Stainless Works system it simple remains lower and flows on a horizontal plane all the way out her ass as such there is no need for the loop design.

Now with all of these questions being answered let me reiterate; the AccuFab, Heffner, IDA, etc. are all wonderful systems and I am not changing the system because of any dislikes.

All the best

Shadowman

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i like the tips on my borla muffler the best. can the tips from my borla muffler be cut off and retrofitted onto any of the aftermarket x-pipes?

Aug 25, 2006
i like the tips on my borla muffler the best. can the tips from my borla muffler be cut off and retrofitted onto any of the aftermarket x-pipes?

Certainly and yet I would suspect that a set of tips could be purchased all by them self from Borla.

Regards

Shadowman

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Certainly and yet I would suspect that a set of tips could be purchased all by them self from Borla.

Regards

Shadowman

which x-pipe do you think would work best with my idea? and how should one go about merging them together? weld them together or slip fit them together with a band fastener?

Aug 25, 2006
which x-pipe do you think would work best with my idea? and how should one go about merging them together? weld them together or slip fit them together with a band fastener?

Once the selection has been made the intigration method would be defined.

Now as for which I would suggest....................... I think that any of those presently on the market are great pieces.

Takes care

Shadowman