Cars & Next Generation

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I had a sobering conversation with my 19 yr old Nephew. He has finished his summer job and has a few thousand net. I asked him if he could spend it all now what he would spend it on AND it was not cars....even after i showed him a rough but nice '65 Mustang on ebay.

His list was Apple Mac Book Aer, BOSE sound system, 50'' LCD, ipod etc. Mind u he has a laptop, smartphone, and LCD already. It was no use, kids just dont view cars the same way.

The whole notion of power, freedom, independence, girl-magnet and style that cars brought is lost. It is literally at the appliance stage for them.

Maybe this Nephew will save us........?

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Not all is lost with the future generation. I am 23 and if I found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow I would run (not walk) to the Forum and contact Shelby. We're still out there...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It was no use, kids just dont view cars the same way.

Take heart, Kayvan. Not ALL kids are 'that way'. My lil' grandson (1-1/2 yrs old) sat on my lap yesterday GLUED to the CarFax 400 at Michigan! He was NOT HAPPY when the commercials came on either!!! He started fussing, pointed to the 'screen & said, "Caaah GO????" (translation: where'd the cars go???...with an emplied, " BRING 'EM BACK N-O-W!" (OTOH, my lil' 3 yr old grandaughter was busy on her computer! lol!) (BTW, her's is a REAL computer...not a toy.)

(Edit: re my grandaughter: for a looooooong time she was FASINATED by "Rory the Racing Car" [T.V. cartoon] and "Lightning McQueen". She had Lightning McQueen BOOTS, and shirts, and sheets, and pillow cases, and you name it! And she loves her Bimmer pedal car [sorry, Sam]! So, she's not by any means a "lost cause" in the car dept!)

Last edited: