Carrera Gt

f430

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2006
I ask as I am seriously thinking of trading the GT for the CGT. I test drove one yesterday and can tell you its one hot driving car.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would try sending Racer X a message. He'd probably be the best reference point. Be warned though, I think he ditched the CGT because it was something of a problem child...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just to let you guys know what happens, impacts like that (especially steering wheel), cause the aorta to tear just after it exits the heart. This can be a little tear which bleeds over a long time, or a big tear that gushes. In either case, the pericardium (the sac surrounding the heart and separating it from the other organs in the chest) fills with blood and then the heart can't pump cause no room is left. It's called tamponade.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Big Carrot said:
I've seen that video before. That guy is NUTS! Slinging that thing around on THOSE roads takes balls of brass! He drives it like I drive my car when NOT on a mountain road with walls all around! lol That car definitely does sound amazing!
That guy is Tim Schrick, he has quite some racing background. Amongst others, two seasons in the DTC championship. His father is know from the camshafts (in german Nockenwellen) they produce for racing cars. Schrick tuning..

Ha says the car is very controllable with gas, if oversteers, simple get of the gas, and don't use the steering wheel too much, as per Walter Roehrl (works with Porsche, ex Rallye Worldchampion and legendary driver).

He also says the Michelin tyres work extremely well with the CGT. Maybe a suggestion to see if they are available for the FGT measures !

stefan

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Some more of Tim,
on the Nuerburgring, in deep winter... Inspiration for DBK to go and try snowy Detroit, these days !

http://hoheacht.free.fr/vids/nordschleife_winter.mpg

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
A couple of weeks ago I had the unique opportunity to drive my GT, a CGT, a Ferrari Enzo, a F50, A F40, a Noble M12 and a Viper on the West track at Bondurant in Phoenix for four days. We would 'race' for 20 laps or so and switch vehicles.

It took awhile to get used to the CGT clutch, definitely something you have to concentrate on in order to drive in daily traffic. The car does have the greatest traction control system that I have seen. It does not give the impression of being overly interfering at all. It will allow you to slide the rear out maybe 15 degrees and then softly helps you bring the car back in line. There is no feeling of suuden fuel starvetion or braking from the system at all.

On the third and fourth day we turned off all the traction/stability controls in the cars that had them in order to better appreciate the cars. The Enzo and the CGT literally became different cars! In the case of the Enzo it was much more predictable, though you could still slide it sideways shifting into 4the at 100 mph+ if you did not pay attention. The CGT became a real handful. There is an awful lot of power in that car that comes on VERY suddenly and not in what I felt was a smooth predictable power curve. It would lull into thinking you knew what you were doing and you would push it a little bit more and then surprise, you were oversteering like crazy trying to recover. It felt like a whole new boost of power would hit at 5500 RPM. All that being said it was an awsome vehicle, unlike any other Porsche.

The Enzo and CGT could and did dust the GT pretty effectively. The GT held it's own against any of the others and was a very predictable joy to drive on the track. It took a day and a half to get the tire pressure dialed in though.

Derry

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
Just to let you guys know what happens, impacts like that (especially steering wheel), cause the aorta to tear just after it exits the heart. This can be a little tear which bleeds over a long time, or a big tear that gushes. In either case, the pericardium (the sac surrounding the heart and separating it from the other organs in the chest) fills with blood and then the heart can't pump cause no room is left. It's called tamponade.

in layman terms,,,, "your phucked and bought the ranch"

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
Some more of Tim,
on the Nuerburgring, in deep winter... Inspiration for DBK to go and try snowy Detroit, these days !

http://hoheacht.free.fr/vids/nordschleife_winter.mpg
Stefan, vid made my day, my favorite track, bar none... :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Red Rocket said:
Oh, yes I think most of us know about that case. The owner/driver of the car was apparently a great guy who did a lot of charity work. The passenger was actually a very successful web entrepreneur from near where I live (Vancouver) and he was also an experienced rally driver.

I understand the event was an open track day and there was no one signalling drivers coming out of the pits whether the coast was clear. The Carrera driver was doing 160 mph - they say - and to avoid the Ferrari coming blindly out of the pit lane he ended up skidding sideways across the infield to the inner wall. Similar in some ways to the impact another Vancouver-based driver (Greg Moore) suffered which was also fatal, at the same track in 1999.

I have it on good authority that what killed the CGT occupants was internal injuries based on the impact. Tragic. But this points out something else that drivers of fast cars need to know. Air bags and seat belts are sometimes not enough when you're going at those speeds - if the car stops moving abruptly by hitting a solid object (i.e. a tree or concrete pillar) your internal organs keep going and it is internal injuries that often kill occupants of cars at those speeds. Just physics and physiology. So drive safe out there and consider the consequences before you risk yourself, or certainly a passenger.

Your account is spot on, I was sadly there. I did not see the car being waived on the track. I will never forget that day.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It SUCKS being at the track when an awful event happens. I was @ Pocono a few years ago when there was a fatality, what made it worse for me, is the gentleman that passed, was from my town, and I had met him for the 1st time the day before........

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Holy CRAP!!! That sounds like a wet dream to me!! Can I get in on this action??? lol

Derry said:
A couple of weeks ago I had the unique opportunity to drive my GT, a CGT, a Ferrari Enzo, a F50, A F40, a Noble M12 and a Viper on the West track at Bondurant in Phoenix for four days. We would 'race' for 20 laps or so and switch vehicles.

It took awhile to get used to the CGT clutch, definitely something you have to concentrate on in order to drive in daily traffic. The car does have the greatest traction control system that I have seen. It does not give the impression of being overly interfering at all. It will allow you to slide the rear out maybe 15 degrees and then softly helps you bring the car back in line. There is no feeling of suuden fuel starvetion or braking from the system at all.

On the third and fourth day we turned off all the traction/stability controls in the cars that had them in order to better appreciate the cars. The Enzo and the CGT literally became different cars! In the case of the Enzo it was much more predictable, though you could still slide it sideways shifting into 4the at 100 mph+ if you did not pay attention. The CGT became a real handful. There is an awful lot of power in that car that comes on VERY suddenly and not in what I felt was a smooth predictable power curve. It would lull into thinking you knew what you were doing and you would push it a little bit more and then surprise, you were oversteering like crazy trying to recover. It felt like a whole new boost of power would hit at 5500 RPM. All that being said it was an awsome vehicle, unlike any other Porsche.

The Enzo and CGT could and did dust the GT pretty effectively. The GT held it's own against any of the others and was a very predictable joy to drive on the track. It took a day and a half to get the tire pressure dialed in though.

Derry

Oct 26, 2006
Derry said:

Derry

Was this with Squadra Piloti??

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Derry said:

Derry

firebirds west track is an extrememly short and tight track like the streets of willow at willow springs. the gt would do better on a longer track as a result of its weight and supercharger. the firebird west track favors lightweight cars that have very precise and nimble handling. this track is about the worst for a viper or a GT. this track is best suited for a car like a highly modified lotus elise that has a turbocharger, etc

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Derry said:
It took awhile to get used to the CGT clutch, definitely something you have to concentrate on in order to drive in daily traffic.

Derry

Derry !

Ma man, your cCGT omments (clutch & back end/power curve) are spot on ! I only consider commenting cars in 'testing' with the traction control off. The electronics only mask the situation, the true character and temperament come out without electronic gizmos activated..

Only point for our consideration: The GT in our modded form smokes the Enzo. Weak part becomes acceleration out of a curve (trACTION OF TYRES), so open first and only then accelerate because of tyre grip, and the breaking before a turn with proigressive brake heating you see fading.
So the Enzo comers up before the curve, and you leave them behind at the exit... bye bye Enzo ! :biggrin

This weekend I drove the f430 Challenge in Fiorano (Ferrari house test track across the factory) with slicks in full race trim.
Man, that thing freaks you out ! And smokes all mentioned here streetmachines, unbelievable curvespeed :eek

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
A couple of comments to add to those alraedy made. There is no doubt that the short and tight track put the relatively heavy GT at a disadvantage. After alot of trial and error with front/rear tire pressure settings I was impressed with the relative cornering of the GT. I was on the stock tires, though I did put in yellow Padgett brake pads. The tires were shot at the end.

The Noble was the most forgiving, very fun to drive. The GT was in everyones top 2 choice.

Derry

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Derry said:
A couple of comments to add to those alraedy made. There is no doubt that the short and tight track put the relatively heavy GT at a disadvantage. After alot of trial and error with front/rear tire pressure settings I was impressed with the relative cornering of the GT. I was on the stock tires, though I did put in yellow Padgett brake pads. The tires were shot at the end.

The Noble was the most forgiving, very fun to drive. The GT was in everyones top 2 choice.

Derry

Derry,
Would you please share what hot pressures you were running on stock GT tires? In the high 20's PSI range?

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Lee Noble who owns Noble Automotive was there driving also. He designs and builds the mid engine Noble cars in England. He convinced me that the front and rear should be at different pressures based on the weight distribution. We found that 27psi in front and 34 in the rear seemed to be the best combo. That was after heating up the tires.

As a side note, the track was actually designed to run clockwise (the opposite direction of the way it is normally run out there) we ran it as designed for three of the four days. It is much faster that way though without any run outs for safety. They began running it counterclockwise after a Nascar driver launched a car up the embankment into the air and landed on a four lane highway.

Derry

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Getting late in the year so of course re-runs are on. Just watched the "Victory By Design" focus on Porsche on Speed. They have updated the show to include the Carrera GT. The opening scenes with the GT are worth watching alone; plus some great footage in the opening of a guy drifting a RUF turbo all around a race course. Incredible car control.

Also, in case you missed it this week's "Behind The Headlights" installment was on the Mark IV GT-40. Check out the schedule for re-runs. Some nice original footage I have not seen before in this one hour program.

Green Beret

Green Beret
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
Danville,Calif
The CGT is a great car. My son lives in Westport, Ct and has a black one. It has a V10 generates 610hp and is not supercharged. The unit is completly carbon fiber. All the workmenship is outstanding, great ceramic brakes. I got to drive it in October and it is faster than my FordGT. You have to be careful starting off as you don't use the gas as the computer gets it rolling. A real jewell for about $440M. He has driven my FGT and thinks it is also great.
Note he races another 911 at Watkinsglen and is certified . Every one needs to know their car well before extreme driving.