Carbon Fiber Wheel Details

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
They are grainy, because I zoomed way in on the images from the configurator, but it appears if the optional carbon fiber wheels are actually not painted, but left exposed, which is awesome! I always thought it was strange that they painted the carbon fiber wheel in the GT350R black, rather than leave them exposed, but on the GT, they will be exposed - just coated in either matte or gloss clearcoat.

They also appear to have just a single lug per wheel, ala the race car, which is another feature very appropriate for this type of car. At first I wasn't sure I liked the way the CF wheel looked, compared to the standard style, but this changes everything!

cf_1.jpg

CF1.jpg

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
are you sure that is not just a cap covering the the center?

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
I have no idea, but for this level of car, center lug wheels are not uncommon.

This screen grab came from the latest Ford GT documentary episode and this wheel looks like it has a center lug. This wheel looks a lot like the race car wheel, but also similar to the design of the CF wheel in the configurator, so I'm not sure what this actually is. Time will tell, I guess....

24.jpg

Last edited:

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
The wheels on that clay model look similar to the race car wheels, but are definitely not identical, so I think we might be looking at the CF wheels on that silver clay model!

10494818_10103172552805662_4173450396215342931_n.jpg

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
When doing high volume CF items using the weave cloth if the weave is not laid it to the mold esthetically perfect they look bad and would not be sold. Any car that has CF bits as an option will pay more for Exposed CF weave because painted parts are not weave critical. Rejected exposed weave parts can be painted and sold because they are structurally ok.

Also there is another form of CF cloth that is used . The inside of our Clam shells is uni-directional matt that is used when appearance is not critical and it is less expensive than weave CF.
When the ZR1 Corvette came out with exposed a CF roof panel GM had to use a UV protectant in the resin or the Clear coat to protect it.. It was $70 000 a gallon. !!. I think the wheels are being made in a compression mold which would make using the uni-directional more applicable and painting them the best option,,

Center lock wheels look cool but you wouldn't want to live with them.. The first time you get out your 350 Ftlb torque wrench you be wishing for the old 5 lugs !!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They are not a center lock, and they are painted. It's just the configurator that looks like they are a center lock.

The GT350R wheels are painted because UV rays penetrate the clear unacceptably. The GT350R wheel also has a ceramic coating on the interior of the barrel to protect against heat. Don't paint the inside of the wheel unless you want to mess with the integrity of that coating. GT can probably get away without it because the clearance between the barrel and the brakes allows for cooler temps.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
They are not a center lock, and they are painted. It's just the configurator that looks like they are a center lock.

The GT350R wheels are painted because UV rays penetrate the clear unacceptably. The GT350R wheel also has a ceramic coating on the interior of the barrel to protect against heat. Don't paint the inside of the wheel unless you want to mess with the integrity of that coating. GT can probably get away without it because the clearance between the barrel and the brakes allows for cooler temps.

When you say they are "painted" (as far as the GT wheels go), do you mean the carbon wheels will be delivered painted wither matte, or gloss black (or gray) instead of exposed weave, or do you mean they will have a clear "paint" on them, still showing the exposed weave?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Painted with either matte or gloss black paint.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Dave... do you know if the 05/06 wheels will fit the new GT?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Dave has some good insight. I would say the GT CF wheels would be ceramic coated on the inside as well because the Carbon brakes get much hotter that the steel rotors on the GT 350's.. I want to know what they weight ?? :biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Dave... do you know if the 05/06 wheels will fit the new GT?

The 18" front GT wheel from the 05/06 will not clear the rotor OD.. the 6 piston caliper are also massive.. take it from someone who is spent a lot of time with them when designing my set up.. :biggrin

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
The wheels on that clay model look similar to the race car wheels, but are definitely not identical, so I think we might be looking at the CF wheels on that silver clay model!

10494818_10103172552805662_4173450396215342931_n.jpg

Those are BBS FI - I have the same on my 05 (W/ 5 lugs)

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Painted with either matte or gloss black paint.

That is really unfortunate. I was mega excited when I saw the exposed carbon wheels on the configurator.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That is really unfortunate. I was mega excited when I saw the exposed carbon wheels on the configurator.

Just kidding. They ended up making it with the exposed, for now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Just kidding. They ended up making it with the exposed, for now. Hopefully it stays that way.

Great! Not that it matters as I'll never own one. Still really cool, though.

I feel like exposed carbon wheels are just one of those things that will really separate this car from its rivals. Many outsiders are questioning how a Ford could be worth $400K. Details like this go a long way to justifying that.

Still wish they were single lug, though. It's one of those cool race car features that again, sets it apart from "normal" cars.