Car Search Methods

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Is there an online method of searching for GT dealer stock ? The standard Ford site search engine does not include GT's. My search, so far has been limited to Ebay and Auto Trader, although AT is pure fantasy and a waste of time. While Ebay and the GT.com site seem to be the most valid estimator of value, neither accesses the large number of "unsold" cars. This was made very apparent when discussing a white car with a central states (aka flyover country) dealer. The dealer made the point that "look this is a white car--much rarer than a red car" I agreed, but then he stated "hold on , let me prove that....Im searching...and right now there are 7...no 8 red cars at dealerships within 200 miles of here". I immediately realized that access to the data on the seemingly large volume of unsold stock would facilitate faster ownership at a realistic price.

ART T

GT Owner
Nov 21, 2005
Healdsburg, CA,
I have been enduring the same frustration. With Autotrader, It seems that they really have no concept of the car's value. Consequently, I just use the Autotrader site when I feel the need to be lied to by someone that for the most part knows alot less about the car than you do. Since I tend be somewhat Bohemian in my appearance, I have also been shuffled to the mustang GT since it is more affordable. This is what some smart salesman and his manager call qualifying. Maybe it was the birkenstock and rolling stones t-shirt?

The Ebay site is the best bet for a reasonable price on the car, the trend has changed dramatically over the last months. And short of the few hardcore have to have in Sky blue and orange, like myself. I have seen cars go a few grand behind MSRP for 2005s and the bidding has not exceeded MSRP for the 2006s. Like I said, they can be had at a reasonble price with a little patience.

Good Luck!

Art Torano

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<The dealer made the point that "look this is a white car--much rarer than a red car" I agreed, but then he stated "hold on , let me prove that..>>

I have heard before that red is the most common color "by far", but I have not found that to be true...checking the breakdown of GT colors on eBay periodically, for instance, the results are always similar: white and red in the lead, black and blue and silver midpack, & yellow being the least common (not counting the new heritage or tungsten yet). Sometimes there are one or two more whites available than reds, sometimes one or two more reds available than whites. Black and blue are not even THAT rare, there are usually about half as many blacks and blues as reds and whites on eBay or AT.

At the very beginning of production (first few months), it seemed that red was easily the most common, but white certainly seems to be close behind ever since.

It will be interesting to see the official breakdown by color when all is said and done.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I bought mine by emailing dealers directly that had cars listed in Autotrader and ebay. I paid no attention to asking price, just made serious inquiries (via email) and asked if they were open to negotiation...most were. Ultimately I struck an out of state deal and bought a car. I purchased back in March when market prices were a bit higher, but got reasonable deal at the time.

Actually, I bought my Ferrari F430 the same way last month. As many of you know it is also a "hot" car and difficult to get a good deal on. Just email as many dealers as you can and one will eventually bite.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Hmm, I was always curious as to which was rarer between silver and yellow. I always knew those were far and away the rarest colors from what I've seen in for sale ads/ebay.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There is a reason cars without stripes and the yellow ones are rare...Hell, paint yours pink and you will own the only one! :lol

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
centerpunch said:
Well, we all have different tastes.

...(a) the dealers assumed most buyers of an expensive car would want all the options, and (b) you make more money on a loaded car.

I think if the customers had ordered the cars the mix might be totally different.

And I only have one vote, but to me, "no stripes" looks better.

+1

Be nice if over 99% of the GT's didn't have the sound system.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
US pricing tactics

Florida Chris said:
I bought mine by emailing dealers directly that had cars listed in Autotrader and ebay. I paid no attention to asking price, just made serious inquiries (via email) and asked if they were open to negotiation...most were. Ultimately I struck an out of state deal and bought a car. I purchased back in March when market prices were a bit higher, but got reasonable deal at the time.

Actually, I bought my Ferrari F430 the same way last month. As many of you know it is also a "hot" car and difficult to get a good deal on. Just email as many dealers as you can and one will eventually bite.

You are all a bunch of lucky fellows... When I decided I NEEDED to own one of them, I went out (just at the end of recall) and ended up with the possibility to have one built as I wanted it, but for a non negotiable 235k$ minimum... I honestly thought (having had checked two other sources in Miami area) that was the price standard and I'd buy it, or someone else... And I'd potentially end up not getting one at all.. Like the European 101's, they were not really on the market but personal allocation only.
Of course I feel cheated about it, but what the hell... I'll keep it anyhow and won't resell it, so over time I'll just need to forget about my 'European goes and buys an American Supercar on his own' naive experience.
Now I know, so next one I'll get chaeper, and hopefully this post amuses all of you, at least makes ya'all smile and grin.. !@!

Last edited:

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Follow up

50 BMG said:
+1

Be nice if over 99% of the GT's didn't have the sound system.

@@@@ if that means that they didnt have that huge stupid thing between the seats, Im for that !!

Doc (AM and recorded books --and most are still on cassettes-- listener)

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
Does anyone know if there will be a way to research the production totals of the various colors / stripes / options?

I think I have one rare combo (yellow - no center stripes - no side stripes) and would be interested to know how many were made like this.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
DLKGT said:
Does anyone know if there will be a way to research the production totals of the various colors / stripes / options?

I think I have one rare combo (yellow - no center stripes - no side stripes) and would be interested to know how many were made like this.

Just a guess: yellow with both stripes deleted will probably be the rarest of them all.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have a white one without center strip, I bought it because it was lighter than the ones with strips :lol :lol I figured no center strip made up for the Mac sound system. I was able to order my car, however was informed that the standard radio was a long time back order and would delay the production of my car.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
50 BMG said:
Just a guess: yellow with both stripes deleted will probably be the rarest of them all.

... probably the only one ! Why you did that to yourself ??? :frown

yozi007

Oct 15, 2005
Bend, Or
Florida Chris said:

Ebay on a non-sale worked well for myself and a good freind. I called after a auction expired and bought it over the phone in 10 minutes from a Minnesota dealer for under msrp, my freind upon its return to Oregon, by the way, cross country in a GT is the only way to travel, what a trip even with the ticket in Montana. Ordered a 06', in yellow, at the same discount. Excellent transactions from a reputable dealer, Monticello Ford!

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
yozi007 said:
...even with the ticket in Montana.

Let me guess, I-90 just past Billings...?

And thanks for the heads up on Monticello Ford, I'll have to give them a call and see if they have anymore allocations available.

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dr Robert Harms said:
@@@@ if that means that they didnt have that huge stupid thing between the seats, Im for that !!

Doc (AM and recorded books --and most are still on cassettes-- listener)

What is AM? Cassettes??? Doc, you're showing your age...You think they can retrofit an 8 Track for you? :thumbsup

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
I found the Fordgtprices.com a great help. It is far easier to use their site to track Ebay sales, rather than using the watch feature. Auto trader is what I used to locate and purchase my GT, I found sorting by color extremely handy.
I found that emailing a phone number and negotiating that way was more personel, you could get a feel for the urgency (if any) to make the sale. Some guys were pleasant and some were arrogant or clueless, either way, I directed them to Fordgt site for a reality check. My salesman called me back and a deal was struck, way below his advertised price. I would suggest to any potential buyer to try that tactic. To this day I have salesman calling me to offer a car at a sticker price. Good Luck.
Peter 1644