Car Lift Reccomendations

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I am looking at lifts to save some garage space. I have a 68 Shelby and the GT I need to stack. The trick is my garage floor is heated through cools in the floor. Not sure if there are any single or 4 post lifts that do not require you to drill in the cement. Curious to hear options or what people are using.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think many require drilling holes, only that it may be a good thing to do if you live where earthquakes are likely to happen or want a little more stability.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Lots of threads on this topic. I have radiant floor heat, have 3 Quality branded 4 post lifts not bolted down. Others have bendpak. I'm very happy w ours. A major part our our purchase was our dealer, that delivered and set them up. We have bought 6 from him.

http://www.qualitylifts.com

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have two Rotary lifts which have been very good. If you are storing a car I would only use 4 post. I would never have one unbolted , but that's just me.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have a Bendpak four post, and it is not bolted down. No problems. Dealer and installer assured me bolt down not needed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
BendPak HD-9. Because it had to be red. No bolts, but then we don't have earthquakes. Just sinkholes. You need air to release the locks. Or, you can get an accessory that uses lift motion to compress air in a small cylinder.

IMAG1010.jpg

Last edited:

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
BendPak HD-9. Because it had to be red. No bolts, but then we don't have earthquakes. Just sinkholes. You need air to release the locks. Or, you can get an accessory that uses lift motion to compress air in a small cylinder.

I live at 6000 ft near Lake Tahoe, we get quakes but nothing a 4 post lift can't handle. That looks great. Good luck with the sinkholes, those are fun....

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I have mine unbolted in southern California, No problems. I like the idea of being able to move it around to allow for different floor space needs.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 post / unbolted in Detroit . No problems
ajb (andy)

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Love my HD-9XW-M. Not bolted down. Get a set of Race Ramps. As others have said, you'll need air to release the locks.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You can also get locks to hold the rear ramps out straight for clearance. Then you lose the automatic roll off protection.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Then you lose the automatic roll off protection.

true Gary but nothing a $5 set of wheel chocks cant solve from Northern Supply. Mine are fixed as I showed ya due to the fact that I can quickly more the bottom car out, which is typically the FGT.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I ave 4- 4 posts lifts. Currently none are bolted down. Placed on heated porcelain tile floor. My 2 post mechanic/dealer style is bolted down. But we marked the area were it was to go and made sure no heating tubes were placed in that area for drilling/bolting it to the floor.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Have 4 lifts and none are bolted down. Like others have said, it is very convenient to move the lifts as needed.

332qmf9.jpg

DJ.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am looking at lifts to save some garage space. I have a 68 Shelby and the GT I need to stack. The trick is my garage floor is heated through cools in the floor. Not sure if there are any single or 4 post lifts that do not require you to drill in the cement. Curious to hear options or what people are using.

Personally, I would only use a lift which is bolted down. However, if you can't or prefer not to bolt the lift to the floor, make sure you buy a lift specifically designed for this type of installation. The lifts pictured in post 14 have sleeves over the posts (I believe they are made by Backyard Buddy). This makes the lift stable when free standing. Most lifts are not made this way. Not all lifts are designed for free standing installation.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
^^^^^ Yes, BYB:

2q2mv04.jpg

DJ

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Daniel DJ, how how is your ceiling?

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Backyard Buddy, 4 post...not bolted. I do find that the Backyard Buddy seems narrow between the posts and pulling the car in takes some getting used to. Backing in is better as I can eyeball the posts in the side view mirrors.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
^^^^^ Yes, BYB:

2q2mv04.jpg

DJ

That T-bird is stunning!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I sure like the looks of the Back Yard Buddy and have heard, well built and not that expensive for a store age lift.