Car help,

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
I apologize if this question (or a variation) has been posted but here goes....

I'm deciding on my next car and would love some opinions. I already have a track car and a couple exotics. Here's what I need/want:

1. 75k price (ish)
2. Every day car, driven about 100miles a week
3. Fun
4. 2 seater OK
5. would love to see it hold some value if possible

Gonna trade in my E55, so I'd like something "high end". What do you guys think????

H

HHGT

Z8 without any doubt.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Save $12K and get a 2010 CTS-V. I have had current M5 etc and this is best daily I have had. It will NOT hold value, however, but a blast.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
Consider a used Porsche Twin Turbo, or a Porsche GT2. You can find many well cared for examples that have .not been abused.

The Z06 is a great car but I question if it will hold its value.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Save $12K and get a 2010 CTS-V. I have had current M5 etc and this is best daily I have had. It will NOT hold value, however, but a blast.

CTSV is a great car - however they have a history of rear axle issues - Don't know if that has been fixed for 2010.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I doubt you could get a R8 for much less than $100k but that could be a consideration.

Also 997 TT would be getting closer to the $75k mark.

Last edited:

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
911TT would be the best option probably. could also look at the DB9 or vantage but they wont hold value taht well in my opinion

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
I'm not one for doing a lot of posting but I really appreciate the thoughts so I'm gonna go further on the subject. Hopefully some people will share my interest on the topic. Also, I'm not a great writer (like so many others on this forum) and lack a certain amount of political correctness. So, please don't take any offense if my thoughts don't coincide with you regarding a certain car.

I already own a Z8 (bought it from the Apple guy) and don't consider it as an every day car. The logic to purchase one at the $75k price point (ish) is, in my opinion, spot on. I also own a GT, '06 Viper and '00 360. I wouldn't want to make any of them a "daily driver".

Here's my current thoughts....... at 5 last night, I "decided" that a '07 GT3 was the way to go. Then, like most car guys, the wafflling set in. Too low, not (365 day) street tires are my biggest concern. I followed that with the last gen Porsche TT but I've already had a 996 TT that I loved (and sold). Can't bring myself to buy another one. Then I looked at Z06's. A lot of car for the money but, the interior/seats..... as an every day "high end" car..... uh, no. The CTS-V isn't (my opinion, no disrespect) not enough of a step up from an E55.

So, this morning, I'm thinking about trading in my Viper and E55 and buying an R8. Great interior, paddle shift option, cool looks and HOPEFULLY some value retention.

I have till July 15 to decide, what's my under/over on changing my mind until then? I say 6. Again, thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Yessssss R8 has amazing interior and should hold value relatively well.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not so sure the R8 will hold value well.

Although I owned one for a while, I certainly can't say for sure because I am not an expert on car values. Most exotics don't (not counting GT). The V10's release drove the V8 model's value down some. Now there is an R8 convertible coming out.

Audi has already announced they will likely cease the V10 production of the R8 and have future models be either supercharged or turbocharged V6/8s. With an ever evolving lineup, typically the old models drop in value. Look at F-cars.

It is however a great car, albeit underpowered in my opinion. It is rated at 420hp to the engine, so likely 320-350 to the wheels. A Heffner turbocharged R8 was at Miami's recent event. I didn't get to ride in it, however the owner raved about it.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

I dont know how much they were when new, but according to the Black Book a 2008 R8 with 20K miles:

Black Book
Extra Clean: $93,300
Clean: $91,450
Average: $86,575
Rough: $78,800

Last edited:

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
A nice 10k mile R8 seems to be around 105. As for the power, I agree. It's togh to pay 100k + for a car with a RS4 engine. Especially as RS4's are very soft. This is probably the R8's biggest drawback.

Any input on a CLK63 Black?

H

HHGT

A nice 10k mile R8 seems to be around 105. As for the power, I agree. It's togh to pay 100k + for a car with a RS4 engine. Especially as RS4's are very soft. This is probably the R8's biggest drawback.

Any input on a CLK63 Black?

Prices tank just as quick.

Maserati GranTurismo are now in the 70s

and

Bentley GTC could be had in the same price range as well

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
New or Used?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I will say this. I had a Porsche as a daily driver in the early 90's. I am tall and after awhile it hurt to get in and out of it. Low is great for a weekend romps but not as a daily. If you are tall factor that into your purchase.

Rode in an R8 and it was nice. I like the looks of the R8 too, but I don't see it holding value and if you like/are used to power it is lacking. Best of luck with your choice. :cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
M6, best daily driver if thats what you want, but it seems to me that you really dont want a daily driver for your daily driving:lol

I had an M5 for the last four years, beat on it every single day, never broke, all maintenance covered, comfortable, sporty, fast, and when the lease was up last week I turned it in and didnt even look back. And that is really tough for me because I dont like selling my cars. I really enjoyed the M5 but didnt develop a relationship with it:lol leave it to the germans to make great daily drivers, very competent and technical cars, but no emotions invovled:biggrin

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Aston Martin V8 vantage. It probably doesn't meet your criteria for holding its value, but it sure is pretty... A quick search of craigslist showed two 2007's in the 70-75 range. It's not the fastest, or most reliable but I bet it rides nice for a two seater. I'd think a 911 GT3 might be a bit too track oriented for daily driver... No worries, have fun in your search!

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
I had to laugh at the "you don't want a daily driver as a daily driver" comment. You're probably right! I saw an Aston Martin DB9 yesterday and I thought, that's a pretty nice looking car! Anyone know anything about the current Aston ownership group? Who can service them in So Cal? Any opinions on 2006-2008 quality?

Bentley, huh????