Car capsule

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Does anyone use a car capsule or a carcoon to store their GT throught the winter? What size do you use? Is it wide enough or does it touch the fenders?
Thanks

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Search the old posts about this. There was quite a discussion on this with links.

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Hi Dan

Yes I use a Carcoon during the winter here in England, it keeps the car dust and moisture free, I also use tyre shoe's on each wheel to pretect the tire shape and tyre wall.

The GT fits in the Cacoon without actually touhing the car and is powered by two very small low voltage micro fans through carbon filters, costs hardly anything to run.

Let me know if I can help any further,

Regards

Patrick

Carcoon3.jpg

Carcoon2.jpg

Carcoon1.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Patrick, looking at the rear of your car, I thought the extra fog lights were round, but your's seem to be rectangular. Pardon my stupidity, but what is a tire shoe? That's a new one on me. Thanks for the info. Frank

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Dan, I have 2 car capsule(s). 1 for the Gt & 1 for the DB9.

The GT is so wide that the smallest I recommend is 18 ft.

The capsules work great but are a bit of a pain when you want to use the car. When deflated the plastic clings to the paint surface and 2 people are needed to remove it without scuffing the paint.

However, to get around this condition I use a carcover in the capsule. This elimates the clinging & scuffing and one person alone can remove the capsule.

If I'm not planning on running the Gt for a week or more I use the capsule. It's great additional protection.
Larry

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think the round fog lights (and reverse lights) were used by Roush for the 'official' 28 cars imported into the UK. The square lights are for those cars imported by the owner or specalist dealer.

I find an electric (oil filled) radiator and a dehumidifier in my barn keeps the cars warm and dry....

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Yes my car was prepared by Roush, but did'nt like the way the round lights were cut into the rear bumper? was affraid this may casues a problem or weakness, although roush assured me this was not the case.

These were bolted onto the rear grey bumper strutts, much cleaner and very neat, allowing the car to be returned to original if required.

Roush made all the other changers as per the spec, using all ford factory parts.

These included a new fog light switch, heavey duty battery replacement, trickle charging point to mention but a few.

On the Cacoon front, I dont have the same problem as Larry above, the cacoon does deflate onto the car, but it is easy to un-zip and remove, but it is advisable to use two people in anycase to ensure the zip does not cath the paintwork.

I was told not to use a cover over the car in the cacoon as this could trap moisture and could effect the Due point, perhaps thats just a UK recomendation due to our damp climate in the winter.

Regards

Patrick

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Frank

Sorry, a if you leave the car standing in the same position of a period of time, tyres can develop "flat spots" and sidewall deform, resulting in bumpy rides and uneaven tread wear.

Tireshoes are a solid rubber pad, shaped like the tyre itself, this provides support for the tyre releiving them and keeping them perfectly round by means of thier concaved solid rubber pad.

Easy to install just drive your GT into position, place a pad in front of each wheel, and just drive onto them, easy.

I use these in my Cacoon.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Car Bubble

I have had a PDK (Price Delivery Knowledge) Car Capsule for 7 years for my AC Mark IV Cobra and use it for my Ford GT and it fits fine. 16'X79"X68". Clean car then place in Bubble and forget about it, keeps perfectly clean and dry. Telephone # 1-800 PDK-2822. I do not use a car cover inside Bubble.
Greatest thing next to sliced bread!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Wow! I just aircondition my garage. :thumbsup

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
prmoldoaks said:
Frank

Sorry, a if you leave the car standing in the same position of a period of time, tyres can develop "flat spots" and sidewall deform, resulting in bumpy rides and uneaven tread wear.

Tireshoes are a solid rubber pad, shaped like the tyre itself, this provides support for the tyre releiving them and keeping them perfectly round by means of thier concaved solid rubber pad.

Easy to install just drive your GT into position, place a pad in front of each wheel, and just drive onto them, easy.

I use these in my Cacoon.

I never heard of these either. I've seen something the car can be lifted onto the keep the tires from flatspotting but nothing you can drive onto. Where can I buy a set?
thanks

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, I've never seen them either. Where do you get them or who is the manufacturer. Thanks FJP

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
sharp33 said:
I never heard of these either. I've seen something the car can be lifted onto the keep the tires from flatspotting but nothing you can drive onto. Where can I buy a set?
thanks

Are these the tire shoes you are using?
http://permabag.com/tireshoes.htm
Do they really work as advertised? I normally roll the car around in the shop during the winter but if I place it in a car capsule this is going to be impractical.
thanks

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
In the USA, I believe this company offers the same solution:

http://www.tirecradle.com/tcradle.htm

They even show a picture of a Ford GT, so it must be worth it :biggrin
BUT, the price seems pretty steep for what you are getting....

Last edited:

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Sharp

Yes they look like the ones?

The site I have here in the UK is:

http://www.autopyjama.com

The do ship to the States according to the web site, if you have any problems I could always get them and ship them for you.

Regards

Patrick

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I just put my GT away for the year. I got a 16' car capsule. It is "just" wide enough! The length is perfect so it doesn't use up too much space. Here's a picture before it is inflated. i have others in my gallery.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/GT_car_capsule_011_Medium_.jpg

thanks for the help
Dan

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dan, looks like you have a lot of dangerous stuff "hanging" in that garage just waiting to fall on your baby!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Yeah, lots of stuff in my garage. It's been hanging for years so I think it is OK. Also, the inflated bubble should help. Just in case :wink

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
DanQ said:
I just put my GT away for the year. I got a 16' car capsule. It is "just" wide enough! The length is perfect so it doesn't use up too much space. Here's a picture before it is inflated. i have others in my gallery.

thanks for the help
Dan

aren't you a bit worried about your fertlizer spreader falling on your GT?
It causes me to pucker when I see that Scottsman Special hanging there... :eek :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
DanQ said:
Yeah, lots of stuff in my garage. It's been hanging for years so I think it is OK. Also, the inflated bubble should help. Just in case :wink
It is a good thing you are not in earthquake country! Where I am, near SF CA that stuff would come off the wall during a moderate quake. In a large quake the house may fall on my cars!

BlackICE