Can't shift into gear no clutch need advice

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
Started my car this afternoon to take a little spin ....uncovered,unplugged , starts right up all good, go to put in gear and its not happening?? I depressed the clutch pedal and tried to put it in reverse would not go. I checked clutch fluid, full....what possibly could it be? Last time I had the car out before I put it away I power washed the wheel wells and parts of the rear suspension......could water have gotten somewhere that it shouldn't?.....I did use leaf blower to dry off wet areas...drove it in the garage It did start and drive fine before I put it away. I can shift through all the gears no problem with engine off. Help! please (the clutch pedal feels good like always)

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Halfshaft bolts changed?

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
Halfshaft bolts were not changed....but I can't engage in gear to put power to the halfshfts...just will not go in gear ..when I apply a little muscle to the shifter the car starts to move with the clutch depressed. no funny noises or any fluids leaking

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Can you have someone watch the cables by the tranny to see if there is any movement. The fact that the car moved with the clutch depressed is a little scary. I think you'd be better off not starting it up anymore until you get a little more input.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sounds like the throwout bearing. Can you get under the car to access the inspection window in the bell housing? If you can, check for any fluid, even trace amounts, in the housing.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you washed it just prior to putting it away, the brake rotors may have enough rust to prevent the wheels from turning. This has happened before. The rust forms and locks the pads to the rotors.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If you got water in the bell housing, which I assume you did, something may be seized together in the clutch pack preventing your clutch from engaging / disengaging. Try putting the car in gear, with the motor off, then try starting it in gear with the clutch pressed in. Make sure e brake is on and just barely tap the start button and see if the car try's to move....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you washed it just prior to putting it away, the brake rotors may have enough rust to prevent the wheels from turning. This has happened before. The rust forms and locks the pads to the rotors.
I had that happen, but the motor has enough torque to break it free.

Is the engine/trans seem like it's in neutral?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There would be no way to get enough water in the bell housing to seize something up unless you forded a stream.

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
Shelby, just tried what you suggested and it worked! started in gear with the clutch depressed a little movement then all was back to normal thanks to all!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Like Shelby said, you got some water in there and seized something up. lol

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Haha Sinovac......

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Where else can you find the correct answers in a short period of time? It is amazing the available information that our experts are willing to share

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Haha Sinovac......

The clutch can stick for the same reason the brake pads/rotors can stick after the car is parked wet. I would not have thought he could get enough water in the bell housing though. I guess the lesson here is not to pressure wash or at least drive the car thoroughly to dry the components after a pressure wash.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You would be amazed at the amount of things we have learned about the Ford GT having had more than 500 of them pass through our dealership.... ;)

Oh, and that post was my 5000th post, so guess I made it a good one!!!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Halfshaft bolts were not changed....

Dave was absolutely correct to go to this as the first thought. I too went there.

My only question is WHY hasn’t the car been upgraded to this known problem????:facepalm:

Everyone should have accomplished this upgrade on their vehicle by now.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You would be amazed at the amount of things we have learned about the Ford GT having had more than 500 of them pass through our dealership.... ;)

I'm sure. There is no substitute for experience

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Like Shelby said, you got some water in there and seized something up. lol

lol