Canadian Bumper Pic.

SkyMan

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Just returned from the show in Montreal. IMO the colour does not do the car justice at all; i also don't think it's worth the extra $15,000CDN. At any rate...

IMG_0332.jpg

I'm also quite disappointed that i didn't get to pick the exact colour of my car; I had to give Ford Canada 3 choices; whichever is being built on my build day is the colour i get. I went with 1)tungsten silver 2)yellow and 3)black..

Can't freakin wait! :cheers

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Bump up the moose

centerpunch said:
Gee, I wonder if any Canadian purchasers will accidentally take off the extra bumper stuff?

Agree, ey, some probably might loose them in the woods entirely !
Agree also that the color does not do justice at all. makes it look like a toy, and very plastic'y really.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
there's a guy on eaby jpeter or somehting like that bids and buys these things like they're going out of style..I know who he is but he doesn't know who I am..he's LOADED...but me guess he thinks after 40 years or so they will be worth lots of money..good luck..tacky

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Skyman: I also just saw the Canadian model of the GT at the Calgary Auto show and I have to say that the rear bumper modification that they have made to meet the Canadian bumper safety specs is UGLY. Not only that but the exhaust is now inset into the bumper by about 2 or 3 inches. The car reminds me of the extenders put on 1950's cars to install a continental spare tire kit.

After looking in my Workshop manual to see how the US spec cars have their bumpers mounted it looks like we just have to undo 8 bolts to the bumper and 8 bolts to remove the aluminum spacer. Then the bumper can be reinstalled the way the US spec cars are made. In the meantime if any of our US friends see a GT driving around with a bumper that looks like it belongs in a campground on a travel trailer, please don't laugh, its just one of your Canadian neighbours down visiting with their GT. Ah the price we Canadians have to pay to be safer than everyone else in the world...

Skyman, are you getting your car in the first group of Canadian cars in April/May or do you have to wait for the second 100 cars to be built in September after the US spec production is completed?

Attachments

• Web PSD DSC_9496..jpg
    Web PSD DSC_9496..jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Web PSD DSC_9497 copy.jpg
    Web PSD DSC_9497 copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Web PSD DSC_9506 copy.jpg
    Web PSD DSC_9506 copy.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 162

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Continental Kit GT

Ouch, that bumper extender is really ugly. It does look like a 50s continental kit extension. On the good side, does not look like a big deal to remove to normal. The exhaust is a big issue. Have you ever seen what an inset exhaust does to body work of any type? Not pretty. There is also a great deal of air spoil on the back of these cars. Mine is almost always pretty dirty even when the rest of the car is still clean after a drive. :frown

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
....ouch, that hurts.. Just take it off, and when stopped, say it must have just fallen out when overtaking a moose, sign autograph and pass picture to the cop...

or drive it with, and put a ´learner´ sticker on the back ! :banana

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Overtaking Moose

Knowing our laws up here I'd probably get another ticket for unlawfully passing a moose.

In any event, the second thing I'm going to do when I get delivery of my car will be to take the bumper off. The first thing I'll do? ... wax it, zoop seal all the aluminum, photograph it and give it a big hug - then it'll start coming apart.

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
What is zoop seal?

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Zoop Seal and Front Bumper

Bman33: Zoop Seal is ceramic sealer that protects polished metals. It works on aluminum, stainless steel and chrome amongst other metals. I found out about it from a friend who is a hot rodder and uses it on all his billet aluminum. I use it primarily on polished aluminum to prevent oxidation. I've got a large collection of XKE's that have polished aluminum valve covers, SU carburetors and manifolds. Once I put the sealer on after the aluminum is polished I don't have to touch it for about 3 years (or longer depending on use). Having said that it is not inexpensive - their small protection kit costs around $100 US but it will do the GT and more quite easily. I just looked up their web site and it is www.zoopseal.com Anyway, that GT supercharger is a prime candidate for it, and it will be nice to use it on something new, rather than all these vintage cars that I've restored.

VPC: The Canadian front bumper specs are the same as the rear as far as I know. It was impossible to see what changes, if any, were made to the front. Fortunately if they made changes to the front bumper they are all hidden. The Ford people didn't seem too keen to have me crawling under the car, when they were using it for publicity photographs during the show.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
zoopseal is amazing stuff, I have been using it for a while.

I saw a picture of a car that hit a moose, bullwinkle wound up in the front seat, no idea what happened to the driver. bullwinkle was ready for the barbeque.

ReiKo

Mar 8, 2006
Grosse Pointe, MI
The front bumper is modified with the canadian crash laws... Also just to let the Canadians know... You can't get the McIntosh system for your Ford GT... You have to go with the base model stero... Due to the fact the rear bumper adds weight so they took weight off on the inside... Also your IP is different colors and gauges... The NVH foam is added in more areas...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Bony, what parts on the GT do you use the Zoop Stuff? Aren't the wheels and Supercharger painted Aluminum?

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
ZoopSeal

Has anyone had experience using ZoopSeal on brushed aluminum. I went to their web site and there is no specific mention for this type of application. It shounds like a great product and I would consider it for the interior of my GT but am fearful that it may compromise the finish of the interior brushed aluminum trim.

DOCCARS

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
I think I will avoid using it on the interior trim. I tend to agree with you that there is probably some type of coating and the material may compromise the factory finish.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAD IN NC said:
Bony, what parts on the GT do you use the Zoop Stuff? Aren't the wheels and Supercharger painted Aluminum?

I haven't used it on the GT, great for the valve covers and carbs on an XKE, whereever you have polished aluminum parts