Can not clear CEL Check engine light ?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
Haven't driven my 2005 GT in a while. Had a nice day, went to take her out, and as soon as I start it up, I have a CEL on. While this is not that uncommon when I take it out after a bit of a rest, normally it's a running rich code of sorts that is easily cleard.

However, today, for some reason having an issue. When I hook up either my SCT handheld tuner or another code reading device I have (both of which normally work fine), both devices say no Error Codes and nothing to clear. Even when I hit clear all codes, still have the check engine light lit. Weird. Can't read a code and can't clear it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks and happy new year to all my GT friends!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Clamshell or frunk closure?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Would that throw a CEL?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Frunk and Clamshell show as door ajar.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Frunk and Clamshell show as door ajar.
Thats what i thought. Its weird

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did you try to show pending codes? The light shouldn't be on if they're pending though.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Cant see any codes. Even when i clear any codes on either my SCT tuner or another device, stays on. Weird

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First, are you sure they're being cleared? With the OBDII reader (not the SCT) can you call up the emissions readiness indicators and see if they are all cleared? If so then the code clear action also happened...

Speaking of which, how old is your battery???

Codes are also cleared if you disconnect the battery so you might try that. Disconnect overnight ...

Are you doing the clear with the engine running? I seem to recall something about just having the ignition in the on but not running state didn't clear.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
When i connect either device I have (sct handheld tuner and another gizmo), as I have many times in past, it says No error codes present, in spite of CEL being on. Even if I hit clear all codes (when still says none), CEL stays on. Tried with car running and not, but ignition turned on). Weird. Never seen this before.

In past when car sat a while might get a CEL light, but always had a simple code that could be cleared.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Dumb idea,but have you tried unhooking the battery for ten minutes?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You sure CEL and not Check Gauges light?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for chiming in Kendall. I appreciate your expertise.

I didnt even know there is a check gauges light. I am not at car at moment, but am pretty (90+%) sure it was the yellow/orange colored engine icon that is lit. Will dbl check when back at it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The Check Gauges Light (CGL?) is red and round and in line with the other red warning lights.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Its def my check engine light that is staying lit

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Almost all of the code readers have the capability to check "active" codes, but also pending codes. Is it possible that you can check to see if you have any pending codes?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks Kendall. Will try that tomorrow (away today). Someone also said (might have been you in old post) that an oldish battery could throw a check engine light that can't be cleared? Not sure how old my battery is. Will check that as well. Car certainly drove fine, and zero issues starting it up a few times. Cranked perfectly. FWIW, it is always kept on a trickle charger. Speedhut gauges all seem to be working fine.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Update - checked - no pending or current codes. Still shows CEL that I can not clear.
I disconnected positive off battery for 15 minutes, then reconnected. Still shows light.
Ugh,,,,

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How old is the battery? I had mine on a trickle charger virtually every minute I wasn't driving it for 7 years. I'd noticed a gauge every now and then wouldn't power up, but if I stopped and restarted they would come back. I finally noticed that the "charging" light never advanced to "charged". Replaced the battery and no more gauge probs. The reason I mention this is because I think the instrument panel lights are "controlled" by the same control unit...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Instrument lights seem fine. Have speedhuts though.

I think my DieHard battery is only 3-4 yrs old. Cant find a date readily on it. Always always on a trickle charger. Car starts right up every time too.

May try a new battery tomorrow, though not sure if / how an aging battery would throw an unclearable CEL, with no error codes available…. It is weird.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My 2-1/2 y/o optima works fine if I am driving every day or have it on my smart charger.

If it sits for a week without the smart charger, it can’t start the car. Replacing it this spring.

Moral to my story? These batteries can fool you into thinking they are ok.

Plus, subscribing to learn what your solution is.