Can I drive it? How to respond...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Fubar said:
I just test rode one of those also. I was really impressive. I had to go buy a bike afterwards. I am getting to old to lean over the fast bikes these days so I got a Ducati Monster. Ducati's sound so cool with a set of pipes.

We all waited for BMW to offer us a deal on one, which never happened and then, I decided to sell my bike, a limited production R1100S Replika, production #3, and get something nice and safe, like a Ford two seater...

Are you gonna get Termignoni's for your Duc? Enjoy!!! I love the raw design of the Monster.

Maschinen_K1200S02.jpg

Mitziehe2_K1200S052.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SYCO GT said:
Bony - great picture - there has got to be an interesting story behind that one.

It wouldn't be so bad if that was MJ's first scrap in the parking lot, but she has a long bad history....

Attachments

• 86442.jpg
    86442.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
It wouldn't be so bad if that was MJ's first scrap in the parking lot, but she has a long bad history....

And I thought GT's had parking space issues...

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
when I get a GT, the only people I would trust enough to let drive it are some of my friends who already have GTs, though I would give out rides freely. :wink[/QUOTE]

:willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy

:ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack :

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

:biggrin

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
SYCO GT said:
Hey E.P.,

Been mostly adults and young adults for me. I did drop off my little one at preschool - loves to take rides in the GT. It's awesome that it has LATCH and airbag deactivation. I haven't given any rides to pregnant mom's or young kids, other than my own.

You can really make a person's day, with gestures like that. That is cool that you are doing what you do.

I feel that I am fortunate enough to have this car, so I will try to share it, within time constraints, work, and safety considerations. 5-30 minutes out of my day to make someone else's day is not going to kill me, and is probably therapeutic for me anyway.

It is tougher with this car, since the inquiries are frequent and regular.

The more people we can convert to car guys, the better. Just one person at a time. :wink

I love the way Hammond, on Top Gear, put it: "When you drive into town, in a supercar, you should make everyones day." That's what the GT is, a supercar; and as such, gives people something to talk about because, after all, they just saw a GT!

Everytime (meaning the two times) I've seen a GT on the road I've talked about it with someone else. I talked about where it was, what it looked like, everything, and it makes my day! At autorama this Sunday my friends had to literally drag me away from a GT that was there.

I just hope for the day that I go into a parking lot somewhere and happen to see one, with the owner about to walk up to it. Yes, I would talk to him, and yes I would ask questions; I simply never see these, so the one chance I get to talk to an owner, I'm going to take it! I do see how this may become annoying to an owner but certainly you can all see why it happens. Now I am also completely infatuated with the GT, so my reaction to a GT and Ferrari F430 are going to be a bit different (granted both would envolve some sort of screaming and jumping up and down :lol ). Seeing the car in person, and talking to an owner in person, would make more than just my day.

THamonGT said:
I have given many rides to friends and young kids primarily because in my area there are very few GT's around. Most are very appreciative to have their picture taken with my GT. (probabily 200 Kids) Most friends know how expensive it is and that it took me 39 years to have one and are very understanding as to driving it. Most won't ask.The reason I show and display it often in this area is because not too many around here (south of Houston). Tomy Hamon PS. I love to make young people grin and dream. My wife can't drive the GT as she can't reach the clutch even with the seat pulled up and can't drive my AC Cobra for the same reason.

It does seem that GT's are quite rare here in Houston (at least on the north side). I've seen two 360's in the last week, which is very rare but still no GT.

If I had one, I would be the same way it; and this is how I am with my Lightning. Alot of people are curious about the truck and what it can do, so I give them a ride in it, and it blows them away! So in a GT I can see myself doing the same thing, however (because it's a GT) I would be a bit more cautious on who got to ride or sit in it.

Empty Pockets said:
it didn't cost me a dime. Who knows, mebbe it even created a little "motivation"?? :thumbsup

E.P.

Haha, before I got into cars I wanted to succeed and make money but once into cars and seeing how costly the hobby is, I now want to succeed even more so I can support my hobby even more. Then seeing the GT, well that just put "motivation" in my heart like you wouldn't believe, and I haven't even had the chance to sit in one yet!

Last edited:

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
SYCO GT said:
I didn't realize the e39 M5 was disliked.

I had an E39 M5 as my daily driver for 5 years and thought it was a fabulous car for a 4,000 lb, 4 door sedan. I now have an E60 M5 and think it's even better. These are not at all in the same category as a Ford GT though, apples and oranges...

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
SYCO GT said:
And I thought GT's had parking space issues...

Syco, after parking like that, Bony STILL let me back his GT into a parking structure during the rally. :banana Now that's one brave man!!! :eek

Bony, am I really the only one you've let drive it? I feel so special now! :wink

Jasper, just remember who is going to be driving you around in AZ! See you at the auction in Jan! :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
Jasper, just remember who is going to be driving you around in AZ! See you at the auction in Jan! :biggrin

One thing I enjoy in Scottsdale is Spring Training... try to catch a few games each year

Attachments

• glad_its2.jpg
    glad_its2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 29
  • glad_its3.jpg
    glad_its3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 28

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
approaching GT owners

Blackstorm:

Most GT owners arn't like the Hollywood types who spend years SEEKING fame & attention and then, when they actually achieve it, BELLYACHE about being recognized & approached.
Instead, most GT owners (I think) have the attitude that they're darned lucky to own something most people can only dream about having in their own garage, and that, "attention", automatically comes with the purchase ...like it or not. Therefore, most owners are kinda resigned to the fact people are gunna approach 'em about their car, and it's "no biggie".
I've found most people approach my own darn self like they were approaching royalty or something! Kinda timid & shy! ME, for Pete's sake! If they only knew! :biggrin
My wife & I were staying at the Bellevue Westin a couple months ago, and during our "check in", I was discussing cars with the head bellman at the front desk & we were talking about his Camero (sounded like a DARN nice ride, by the way) when he mentioned his dream car was the Ford GT!!! Well! When I infromed him I happened to own a blue one HE ABOUT PASSED OUT! I thought I actually saw his knees buckle! He said he just HAD had to shake my hand - and he did! - 'cause he'd never been, "...this close to somebody who actually OWNS ONE and probably never would again!" It was a double dose of "Yes, SIR!", and "No, SIR!", from that minute on! I mean, the poor guy was just dumbfounded!
Yeah, GT owners answer the same questions over & over. Yeah, it can get "old hat" once in a while if you LET IT. But, when I find my attitude starting to "go south" on that front, I just remember how BLESSED I am to have that car and how numbstruck those who admire cars like ours get when they see one ... and that their first impression of a GT's owner - and therefore their impression of ALL GT OWNERS ( and owners of all exotics for that matter) - will be formed by their experience with ME. And I don't wanna screw that up.
The main reason for this is, I remember the first time I approached a guy who was driving an exotic car. A yellow Lambo Gallardo 'twas. The jerk driving it ignored me like I wasn't even there & like hadn't said a word to him . No lie. I'm not exaggerating. ( I was wearing my grubbies & driving my beater p/u ... so, obviously I wasn't "good enough" to even "speek" to him. Never judge a book by it's cover, guys!). I've never forgotten that snobby "expletive deleted". It irritates me to think about that jerk even now. So, I make it a point to be DANGED sure I NEVER, EVER, treat anybody like he treated me.
Enough bloviating ~~~~~~
What I'm tellin' yuh, Blackstorm, is: approach 'em!!!!! GT owners put their pants on 'same as you!!!!!! And feel free to remind 'em of that if'n yuh run into one who's a jerk about it!!!!:biggrin

E.P.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
bony said:
One thing I enjoy in Scottsdale is Spring Training... try to catch a few games each year

daniel from the pics i'm beginning to understand what you are trying to

say :willy

would you like to share that story on the gurney bubble on the passenger
door when said lady was driving?, or is it still to painfull? :eek

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
Jasper, just remember who is going to be driving you around in AZ! See you at the auction in Jan! :biggrin[/QUOTE]

and just remember i have to see dr spetzer to see if i've got a brain,
afterwoods.

:willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy :willy

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
bony said:

Daniel - thought you were a SF Giants /Kalifornia boy. Didn't know you liked the Cubs :rofl

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DBK said:
Don't be mad because you have Beamers Chris.

An older lady in a silver Z8 was giving chase on the freeway the other day; pulled up and smiled. It had a hardtop bubble. Pretty rare sight.

Actually, all Z8s were delivered with hard tops. You just rarely ever see them on the cars.

Empty Pockets said:
'chris
An' "figger" is actually "figure"... an' "nobuddy" is actually "nobody".
Sooooo? :willy

E.P.

EP- Sorry nothing personal. Just one of my [many?] pet peeves. :cheers

Back on topic-

I have given numerous rides and lots of kids have been in the driver's seat. When I bought my Heritage I let the owner of the dealership give a ride to one of the girls that worked for him. He couldn't believe it when I threw him the keys. Nice small town and I trusted him.

I let a Lotus guy drive my F430 a couple of weeks ago. He had wanted to drive an F-car his entire life. I rode with him and he was respectful of the car. He still wears the smile on his face from that drive.

I have allowed many people to drive my '07 GT500 Shelby. Some that I have only met at a gas station. Maybe I am being stupid, but I love sharing my cars with other enthusiasts.

I have never let anyone drive my bikes though, too much risk on two wheels.

Oh, and I did let Piccola fly the Citation. Of course there was no one to run into at 45,000 ft...Manny and SuperB didn't even get airsick! :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Florida Chris said:
Actually, all Z8s were delivered with hard tops. You just rarely ever see them on the cars.

I was talking more about the Z8 in general, but I didn't know they came with hardtops either...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
In case anyone cares, and yes, I know this is the GT Forum

From a website. Personally, I don't expect people to know the difference, but for those that care, there is a difference.

Bimmer - accepted slang for BMW cars.
Beamer/Beemer - accepted slang for BMW motorcycles.
Bummer - When you get a speeding ticket.
Why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?
The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.
BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what some call the real BMWs.
In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.
Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.
So there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
Oh, and I did let Piccola fly the Citation. Of course there was no one to run into at 45,000 ft...Manny and SuperB didn't even get airsick! :biggrin[/QUOTE]

yes chris but you have to admit it never flew the same again, isn't that
why you got rid of it? :willy

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
jasper said:
yes chris but you have to admit it never flew the same again, isn't that
why you got rid of it? :willy

Good point! Indeed, I did have to trade it in a hurry... :lol :lol :lol

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Florida Chris said:
I let a Lotus guy drive my F430 a couple of weeks ago. He had wanted to drive an F-car his entire life. I rode with him and he was respectful of the car. He still wears the smile on his face from that drive. :biggrin

Did you drive the Lotus? I was a passenger in an Exige being autocrossed by a skilled driver. I thought it was one impressive handling vehicle. The entry and exit would make the GT feel like it has minivan doors, since I just about had to climb into the thing. Definitely not a daily driver in that car.

I'm tempted to swap a short drive in my GT for a short drive of a Ferrari 550. I've never driven a Ferrari before, and think it would be something I'd just like to try...But, I think I will wait until I know the owner better and see how he drives and treats his car.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SYCO GT said:
Did you drive the Lotus? I was a passenger in an Exige being autocrossed by a skilled driver. I thought it was one impressive handling vehicle. The entry and exit would make the GT feel like it has minivan doors, since I just about had to climb into the thing. Definitely not a daily driver in that car...

Yeah, I have driven the Lotus. I actually own a 240R Exige Cup car. I dove it in a N.A.S.A. event at Homestead Motor Speedway yesterday. I agree it's a real bitch to get into. You should try getting in with a roll cage taking up another 3-4" of opening room! Haven't let anyone drive it yet though...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
SYCO GT said:
I'm tempted to swap a short drive in my GT for a short drive of a Ferrari 550. I've never driven a Ferrari before, and think it would be something I'd just like to try...But, I think I will wait until I know the owner better and see how he drives and treats his car.

Be careful with that. Alot of exotic car owners I've met think the cars are all on the same level. It's hard to articulate how much more brutal a car like a GT with a pulley is compared to say an early Gallardo or a 360. The car is smooth, but wildly faster.