Cam positioning>>>

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with checking the cam position?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I'm pretty sure....

Does anyone have any experience with checking the cam position?

Mine has been inside the engine since my car was new. As I never exceed the redline I hope it stays in there for the duration of my ownership.

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There was a discussion on this topic on one of the tech threads a while back, 'racer, but I'll be darned if I know which one/when.

'Afraid I'm going to have to suggest the tired solution "do a search".:frown

(Hopefully, someone else remembers the above thread/discussion a wee more specifically...)

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Here is the thread:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5378&highlight=intake

I think you would have to use a degree wheel (pull the motor and remove the spark plugs) and remove the valve covers. Find #1 tdc with both valves closed. Then crank backwards until the #1 intake valve closes (opens going forward). Check the degrees at that point. there should be a spec somewhere for valve opening degrees. Then crank forward until the next cylinder in the firing order opens it's intake valve. It should be 90 deg (360/4??) from #1 if the engine is set to fire evenly. You need to go 2 rotations to check all cylinders. You really need to check one cylinder on each bank, but this might be an easier method so you don't lose count. I don't know the firing order and I don't know if #2 is next to #1 or on the other bank.

A compression test might easily and quickly tell the tale of short intake valve timing or differences.

Many of you were not on this earth when I rebuilt a Ford motor. And no it wasn't a flathead before the comedians get started.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Many of you were not on this earth when I (first) rebuilt a Ford motor. And no it wasn't a flathead before the comedians get started.

Just as a historical note then, 'bullitt ... what particular pre-flathead Ford "motor" DID you first rebuild? :lol

(Why do I get the feeling paybacks will be hell?:shrug )

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Caught me on that one pockets. Your car is now officially my parts car. Ok I have intimate knowledge of the hi po 289 271 HP family. I have changed spark plugs in a modular. The hi po is probably what got me here as a car guy. I worked my way through college as a mechanic. Once I graduated it became a hobby.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
John at Accufab has done some research and testing on this issue. I believe he has found out that the cam timing from the factory is off considerably.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
John at Accufab has done some research and testing on this issue. I believe he has found out that the cam timing from the factory is off considerably.

Basically a + 1; it's either the cam timing or the wrong cam grinds...

From what I heard on MF, most production Ford OHC motors experience incorrect cam timing from the factory, anywhere from 1-7 degrees off...

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Caught me on that one pockets. Your car is now officially my parts car.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :thumbsup :cheers