California owners: Let's organize a drive

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Attention Californians. We need to organize a group drive. We are blessed with temperate weather this time of year, so let's take advantage of it. Seeing as how the bulk of owners are probably in SoCal, I suppose it makes the most sense to do something down there. I don't live there nor am I familiar enough with the roads to take the helm. Kevin (KJRGT) is unfortunately down for the count after his recent Achilles surgery, so we would need someone to take the reigns and plan out a route.

Alternatively, if people wanted to make the trek here to raisin and cow country (Bony's town, aka Fresno-area), this area is equidistant from L.A. and S.F. There are a few decent routes going up north toward Shaver and Bass Lakes and Sierra National Forest. I went on a great run with a few local car enthusiasts last weekend and it was a blast! I could corral up the few GT owners and a few Mustangs/Ferraris/Lamborghini's that live here. Downside is people would have to actually come to Central CA. And no one really does that unless they're just passing through or against their will at gunpoint:frown

Thoughts, suggestions on place and timing welcome.

Greg-TT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I agree. it's been a while

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
How does the sunday after thanksgiving sound Ed? will you be back in town? Let's figure out timing and depending on location of people responding we can decide on location. I think it's a great idea. Ojai seems like a good spot for the southern california contingent, but I'm open to other suggestions.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Kevin.....let's dump that rear bumper while the car is down!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
First a drive I cannot participate in and then an insult to my rear end. You guys are brutal!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
How does the sunday after thanksgiving sound Ed? will you be back in town? Let's figure out timing and depending on location of people responding we can decide on location. I think it's a great idea. Ojai seems like a good spot for the southern california contingent, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Amir
I'll be back by then, but unless the drive is up here, I can't do Sundays. Ojai is a good 3.5 hours from here. There and back alone is half a day. Ok for a Saturday, no go on Sundays.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
First a drive I cannot participate in and then an insult to my rear end. You guys are brutal!

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
Amir
I'll be back by then, but unless the drive is up here, I can't do Sundays. Ojai is a good 3.5 hours from here. There and back alone is half a day. Ok for a Saturday, no go on Sundays.

I'm interested ! Prefer Saturdays too. How about meeting in Santa Barbara ,drive through back roads of Santa Ynez/Solvang and come back through Ojai ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm interested ! Prefer Saturdays too. How about meeting in Santa Barbara ,drive through back roads of Santa Ynez/Solvang and come back through Ojai ?

I'd defer any routes in that area to the SoCal'ers. SB is still 3 1/2 hours from me, so it would have to be a Saturday.

So far, pretty underwhelming response. This is the best driving time of the year for me. Summers are too damn hot. I realize that's not the case for the rest of CA, which is probably why no one else is chomping at the bit to take their cars out.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I'd defer any routes in that area to the SoCal'ers. SB is still 3 1/2 hours from me, so it would have to be a Saturday.

So far, pretty underwhelming response here. This is the best driving time of the year for me. Summers are too damn hot. I realize that's not the case for the rest of CA, which is probably why no one else is chomping at the bit to take their cars out.

Ed,

I'm watching this with interest. There is no commitment from me simply because the next few weekends are booked for me. If everyone decides on a date and it happens to land on a time when I'm free I'm there. It's just busy, busy, busy this time of year with family obligations and holiday blah, blah.

Vince H

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Ed,

I'm watching this with interest. There is no commitment from me simply because the next few weekends are booked for me. If everyone decides on a date and it happens to land on a time when I'm free I'm there. It's just busy, busy, busy this time of year with family obligations and holiday blah, blah.

Vince H

I can make saturdays work Ed. No problem. Without traffic, Ojai is almost 2 hours away from us, and even further for the OC contingent. The roads there are really beautiful and the resort is a pretty nice place for a meal. I can make saturday Nov 30th, Dec 7th, Dec 14th. If people in the LA / OC area want to do something smaller, more local for a couple of hours possibly a drive to cars and coffee in Irvine and breakfast after that, I'd be in as well, until we can get a bigger group together.....

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I can make saturdays work Ed. No problem. Without traffic, Ojai is almost 2 hours away from us, and even further for the OC contingent. The roads there are really beautiful and the resort is a pretty nice place for a meal. I can make saturday Nov 30th, Dec 7th, Dec 14th. If people in the LA / OC area want to do something smaller, more local for a couple of hours possibly a drive to cars and coffee in Irvine and breakfast after that, I'd be in as well, until we can get a bigger group together.....

Ouch. I've already been ousted from the group. lol

Seriously, you guys down there are so spoiled. Get out there and take advantage of your perfect weather and literally dozens of car-related activities EVERY weekend. I'll get down there at some point, but all of you should be meeting up right now!

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA

:wink We want you there man!! Just tell us what works for you. I have no problem driving up somewhere closer to you either. Just don't know that area too well. Let's pick a date and we can work out the details later......

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Ed,

Vince H

Im whipped too Vince!!! I think this is the best time and would love to join. Oddly enough Saturday Dec. 7th looks open. But gotta check with my Controler. My son is in a travel team and sometimes they have a pop game which would put me out. But so far Im in. W/Spouses??? :confused

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Kevin.....let's dump that rear bumper while the car is down!

BTW, Kevin you have been wanting to loose that extra weight few years ago. Trim "UP" that beautiful rear end already!!!

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
:wink We want you there man!! Just tell us what works for you. I have no problem driving up somewhere closer to you either. Just don't know that area too well. Let's pick a date and we can work out the details later......

We ( wife & I) can do 7 December. We're in eastern Ventura county ( Simi valley).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
We ( wife & I) can do 7 December. We're in eastern Ventura county ( Simi valley).

Dec 7th is a no go for me. My son's first birthday. But if you guys can get a local group together that day, then go for it!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Dec 7th is no good for me, post season soccer tournament. My boy's team finished first place in their division in regular season play.

SoccerLeapcopy_zpsceae86ca.jpg

Last edited:

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Ok so if the 7th is hard for most we can try and reorganize somthing for January. We only have the next two weekends for 2013. So we can try and do somthing in the first half of January. For thos near LA if you guys still want to do a quickie. the speak out as I still have a halfday hallpass

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
FUBAR will finish his build before you guys go for a drive.