C&D: Ford Fusion wipes floor with Toyota Camry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Short Take Road Test

Shock! Ford beats the Japanese at their own game.

BY MARK GILLIES, PHOTOGRAPHY BY AARON KILEY
December 2008

The first thing you need to know about the 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is that it’s the best mid-size hybrid sedan on the market. Yes, that’s right: it wipes the floor with the Toyota Camry hybrid.

Like the Camry, it mates a four-cylinder gasoline engine with two battery-driven electric motors and a continuously variable transmission. The Fusion has a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine that makes 156 hp and 136 lb-ft of torque. Although the Atkinson cycle, where the intake valve is held open longer during the intake stroke, is more efficient than the usual Otto cycle, it doesn’t produce as much power and torque. In a hybrid’s case, electric motors augment the gas engine so that acceleration isn’t compromised. Here, the hybrid system puts out a combined 191 hp.

Ford has worked hard to significantly improve the system in the Fusion over the one in the Escape hybrid, and the company says that the technology is not licensed from Toyota, as Nissan does for the Altima hybrid. The Fusion's trunk-mounted nickel-metal-hydride battery pack is smaller and lighter, for instance, and uses a different chemistry so that it doesn’t need a separate cooling system, simply drawing air in from the cabin to manage temperatures. The pack also produces 20 percent more power. Variable timing on the intake cam allows the vehicle to more seamlessly transition between electric and gas modes, according to Ford, and the Fusion can be driven up to 47 mph on electric power alone, depending on how leadfooted a driver is. Most hybrids can pull off the electric-only trick only as high as 25 mph or so.

Sharp-Looking Exterior, Techy Interior

The all-new Fusion hybrid benefits from many of the changes that were made to the 2010 Fusion range. Externally, the Fusion gets new headlamps, a new front fascia, and a reworked version of the three-bar grille that Ford now uses across its North American offerings. At the back, there’s a new decklid and taillights. The hybrid gets “road and leaf” badging to differentiate it, along with unique eight-spoke, 17-inch wheels. The refresh makes the Fusion sharper looking, particularly since the weird headlamps of the original have been replaced.

Inside, the Fusion also receives a new instrument panel, redesigned seats, and more stylish trim, although the quality of some of the materials isn’t yet on par with those of the class leaders. The hybrid gets what Ford calls SmartGauge with EcoGuide, a unique instrument cluster that is designed to bring out the mileage geek in everyone. Our tech department went gaga over this one, gurgling like toddlers who’ve been allowed outside on their own for the first time. The gauge has four modes—each with touchy-feely names like Engage and Empower—although our more nerdish drivers quickly switched into the expert mode (Enlighten) that shows battery charge level alongside two columns of discharge meters, one for power consumed and the other for the sum of all the accessory loads. The fun is in trying to keep the vehicle in electric mode as long as possible. For non-techies, the Efficiency Leaves feature shows leaves growing on a vine if you’re driving efficiently. It’s actually quite cool.

Our tester came heavily optioned, lifting the price from a reasonable base of $27,995 to $32,555. We had leather seating in place of the standard eco-friendly seat fabric that’s made from recycled post-industrial material, at a cost of $1190 including seat heaters. The excellent touch-screen navigation system added another $1775 to the price, while another $1595 went toward a bundle that included a power moonroof, a rear-view camera, 12-speaker audio system, and a blind-spot warning system.

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Hybrids Are Here to Stay

We are going to have to get used to hybrids, because there’s no way automakers will be able to reach future CAFE mileage standards without them. And the great thing about the Fusion is that it functions just like a regular car while delivering terrific gas mileage. The EPA rates the Fusion hybrid at a very impressive 41 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, and Ford says the car can travel as far as 700 miles between fill ups. Over a 300-mile test loop, we averaged 34 mpg—3 mpg better than we did with a Toyota Camry hybrid—with 36.9 mpg in the city and 32.7 mpg on the highway.

The car still performs pretty well, too. Our 0-to-60-mph acceleration time of 8.5 seconds isn’t stellar—the Fusion hybrid weighs 3805 lb, which doesn’t help—although it’s actually faster than the time we recorded for the old 2.3-liter four-cylinder Fusion automatic. Mid-range passing performance is very good, however, and the Fusion easily merges into speeding freeway traffic. What’s more, it’s very hard to detect when the car is running in all-electric or gas-electric mode—the engine on-off function is quite seamless—unless one is staring intently at the readouts on the instrument panel.

Hybridization and Driving Fun Aren’t Mutually Exclusive

The other impressive achievement is that the Fusion is reasonably entertaining to drive. While most hybrids squeeze the fun out of driving, the Fusion has nicely weighted steering, a nimble chassis, and rides in a controlled, supple manner. You can hustle the car down a back road and get a smile on your face, which is not something one can say about the Camry hybrid.

With fuel at $1.50 a gallon, the urge that buyers felt in the summer to buy hybrids has abated. (Mind you, with the global economic calamity, no one’s buying much of anything at the moment.) Long term, however, these cars are the future, both because of future CAFE standards and because the feds will increasingly encourage us to think green and attempt to reduce our reliance on foreign oil. In the meantime, know that you won’t have to rely on a foreign company to provide the best mid-size hybrid sedan.

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $32,555 (base price: $27,995)

ENGINE TYPE: 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4, 156 hp, 136 lb-ft; AC permanent-magnet electric motor, 106 hp, 166 lb-ft; combined system, 191 hp

TRANSMISSION: continuously variable automatic

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.4 in Length: 190.2 in Width: 72.2 in Height: 57.2 in Curb weight: 3805 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 8.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 21.5 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 8.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.5 sec @ 88 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 108 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.80 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 39/37 mpg (est)
C/D-observed: 34 mpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Made my day!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Another plug.

I read that article yesterday morning. I just wish C&D had put the result on the cover of the magazine. Outstanding!! On another note, everybody that drives my new 2008 Taurus Limited is most impressed by it. Fast, great handeling, huge trunk, very roomy and nice inside, and flawlessly built having required no warranty repairs even after letting BONY drive it overnight! It cost less than $24,000 after rebate BRAND NEW. The deal of the century. I buy nothing but Ford products.

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wait until you see the new Taurus Chip, especially the return of the SHO. Who wants twin turbo's?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Wait until you see the new Taurus Chip, especially the return of the SHO. Who wants twin turbo's?

I think that is really cool. Gotta love the rebirth of the SHO but force fed.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I was at the dealer last week. They are expecting them in March. I heard that the Escape would be a plug in version in 2010, maybe the Fusion will follow.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It is a grear car had 20cases Makers on board, running 115mph on the 101. Guess the photo cams were not working?

Just kidding!

A TT SHO sounds great!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
A TT SHO sounds great!!

2010-Ford-Taurus-SHO.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

I can't wait to test out the new direct injection motors from Ford (particularly the forced induction motors). These motors will transfer the entire lineup.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
will the sho have an optional manual 6sp like the gxp???? i loved driving my dads 89 sho!!!! from what i remember in 89 the sho was the third fastest production sedan built that year.

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I can't wait to test out the new direct injection motors from Ford (particularly the forced induction motors). These motors will transfer the entire lineup.

I agree. It cannot happen soon enough. Ford needs to put this engine in the Lincoln MKS...as soon as they do, I am test driving it. But as of now, this car is just not in the same league in regards to driving enjoyment as the BMW335i and xi and Audi A4/A5. I really want to buy another Ford! Help me Ford!

The Ford Fusion hybrid will be a tremendous success. It has gotten great reviews from other mags as well, in all cases beating the snot out of the competition.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
BTW, great write up on the Ford Fusion in March '09 Automobile. P. 48 "the new benchmark among midsize hybrid sedans."

Wow! The whole mag is raving about 2010 Ford products. DBK's insight about the upcoming SHO is mentioned, and the Lincoln version of the Flex is highlighted.