Buying my first GT

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Looking to buy my first GT. Have one nearby, a little more than I want to spend but it is Dealer owned. It's never been titled and they tell me I can still get the original Warranty. Looks immaculate, under 1000 miles. Anyone know how much more this car might go for. I've been looking for a couple of years. I was hoping to spend $180,000 or so. This car is a tad bit more and wondering with it being never titled and low mileage how, how does this affect the price. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The bad news is that I don't think you can still get the warranty but the good news is that you shouldn't care. The cars are pretty much bulletproof. Make sure the axle bolt upgrade has been done (required on ALL GT's - regardless of date of manufacture, etc.) If you want to compare prices, take a look at Shelby's site as I think he has a pretty good inventory right now. Jump in - you will never regret it!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...it is Dealer owned. It's never been titled and they tell me I can still get the original Warranty. Looks immaculate, under 1000 miles.

'Doesn't matter. Unless you absolutely, positively KNOW FOR A FACT that the car has never been absused or wrecked (you said it's a local dealer's car, so maybe you do know that), get a PPI done by a FGT E-X-P-E-R-T before you buy. More than one GT has been TOTALED with LESS THAN 10 MILES IT. 'Fact.

A PPI will cost you a few nickels, but it could save you thousands of $$$ down the road.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Never being titled has NOTHING to do with warranty period. Warranty is started when the car leaves the ORIGINAL SELLING Ford dealer. Unless you are looking at a car owned by the Original Ford dealer to whom FORD delivered it to, the warranty is likely already gone. Get me a vin number and I can tell you for sure. And no, I will not go and try to buy the car out from under you.......

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
'Doesn't matter. Unless you absolutely, positively KNOW FOR A FACT that the car has never been absused or wrecked (you said it's a local dealer's car, so maybe you do know that), get a PPI done by a FGT E-X-P-E-R-T before you buy. More than one GT has been TOTALED with LESS THAN 10 MILES IT. 'Fact.

A PPI will cost you a few nickels, but it could save you thousands of $$$ down the road.

If the dealer is not one of the forum sponsors, I wouldn't touch the car without a PPI. Even in you spent $1000 on it, would be well worth it.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
THE Vin is #1FAFP90S75Y401135. They told me is does have the Warranty but I'll trust the answers here. I don't have the history of this car yet but the Owner of the car is the owner of a few dealerships here where I live. I've only looked at it once, and I AM the type that doesn't necessarily trust anyone's word. So I will tread lightly before I purchase this car. Thanks in advance.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Good news. The Oasis report is clean. And they are right, the car DOES have the full warranty as the warranty has never been started so I assume this car is owned by the original Ford Dealer. I can see that this is a white car with Blue stripes and STANDARD wheels. Seems like a GREAT price if the miles are under 1000.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Thanks for you reply. Obviously I'm new to the Forum, so I value any info I can gather. If my current prospect doesn't work out I will definately be checking out your cars. From what I see, you have many fans. I'll keep an open mind and maybe I'll take a trip out to your place.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Thanks again, trying to get him down a bit on the price. I'll assume I should still get a PPI.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks again, trying to get him down a bit on the price. I'll assume I should still get a PPI.

Just for funzees, you might want to suggest to him that perhaps the reason he still HAS the car is because he couldn't sell it for "thirty over" several years ago! :lol

(I'm a truely rotten person...!)

(Edit: Seriously, what you might do is write out a check for what you've decided is YOUR best offer "out the door"...hand it to him...and tell him "final offer" - and then stick to your guns. If your offer is r-e-a-l-i-s-t-i-c, I bet he goes for it ("a bird in the hand" and all that). If not, find another car. That's exactly what I did back in July of '06, and #1079 was mine...for a DARN SIGHT LESS than the $250,000 "second sticker" on its window I might add. ['GOSPEL.])

(...BTW, the check should be handed over ONLY AFTER a satisfactory PPI is completed.)

Last edited:

Tori S.

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2012
Camarillo, CA
I am a Ford dealer and a GT owner. I will run the VIN for you and get back to you with in-service date and warranty information.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Just for funzees, you might want to suggest to him that perhaps the reason he still HAS the car is because he couldn't sell it for "thirty over" several years ago! :lol

(I'm a truely rotten person...!)

(Edit: Seriously, what you might do is write out a check for what you've decided is YOUR best offer "out the door"...hand it to him...and tell him "final offer" - and then stick to your guns. If your offer is r-e-a-l-i-s-t-i-c, I bet he goes for it ("a bird in the hand" and all that). If not, find another car. That's exactly what I did back in July of '06, and #1079 was mine...for a DARN SIGHT LESS than the $250,000 "second sticker" on its window I might add. ['GOSPEL.])

(...BTW, the check should be handed over ONLY AFTER a satisfactory PPI is completed.)

30k over? I thought in 2005 most went way way over sticker. I approached 2 of my local dealers and was shut out not by markup, but by limited availability. Mine was one of those where the original owner paid 100k over sticker. I have the purchase agreement to prove it.

If Shelby thinks you are getting a good price you are. I'd love to be the original owner and get a car under waranty today. If you don't want it let me know. ;)

Otis

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I am a Ford dealer and a GT owner. I will run the VIN for you and get back to you with in-service date and warranty information.

You're a little late. Already did it. (see previous post)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
30k over? I thought in 2005 most went way way over sticker.

I was referencing what I roughly interpreted was the price '41 seems to be indicating the dealer wants, Otis. ('41 said he wants to pay $180K...and he's trying to get the dealer to come DOWN from where HE presently is...ergo my guess was that's $190ish or so.) (I wasn't trying to suggest e-x-a-c-t figures!)

I thought in 2005 most went way way over sticker?

Absolutely! Locally, it wasn't uncommon for early '05 GT's to go for $300K. As I indicated, the 2nd sticker on my '06 was $250K!

:cheers

Last edited:

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Buy one from Shelby, you won't regret it and you know what you are getting.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Not sure if the owner will come down, like I said I was hoping to get a GT for 180K but I don't expect him to come down too much from what he wants now. I figure it can't hurt to try. I won't let MY price get in the way of a potential great buy. With the car still under warranty, is it still an absolute to get the PPI.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Buy it at whatever price you can negotiate! Just buy it. They're awesome fun things. I've moved a cot into the garage next to mine.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...and a full warranty!! That's really sweet, especially with what everybody knows about the cars today. Your'e a lucky guy.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
With the car still under warranty, is it still an absolute to get the PPI.

Yep. Warranties don't cover wreck damage, sir.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...and yes of course, not withstanding a good inspection and review of any unusual history.