Buying a GT, Year Differences? Options?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
One last thing to mention, I would think you are aware but just to be sure. In 2006 Ford offered the car with a Heritage paint scheme. It is the baby blue and orange colors (Shell Racing). It was a $17,000 option as I recall and is probably the rarest color option (although yellow would be a close second).

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Didn't you mean the Heritage has "Gulf" colors? :shrug

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Didn't you mean the Heritage has "Gulf" colors? :shrug

Ha! :cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Basically, no differences - 05 had a grill, 06 doesn't - some have machined a-arms, most don't.

Also...

AZGT mentioned the A-Arms. This was a big deal to me in buying my 2nd GT. I wanted the replacement billet A-Arms. They are only on the earlier 2005 models. It was Ford's emergency fix for the cracking "pressed" A-Arms (do a search for more information). They are expensive ($20k I'm told) and they look pretty sweet. Once Ford got production ramped up on cast a-arms they went into the rest of the 2005s and 2006s.

I only mention this because of your story about the Ferrari and getting exactly what you wanted.

okay EP, what did I get wrong on that one :cheers

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Jsuit, the first 400 or so cars in the '05 run had a speedy sleeve installed in the crank for a leaky seal. No one has reported any problems with this fix. The early to mid '05s also have the cast A arms on the suspension. There was a $10K price increase that went into effect July '05. If a car was ordered before July '05, it was not affected. Most '05s have a screen in front of the radiator. Late '05s and all '06s do not have this screen, but a slightly altered front bumper. There are plenty of pictures on the Forum to documnet these changes. Other than a latch change here or there, the cars are pretty much identical. Silver was offered only in '05. Tungsten and Heritage Blue Livery were offerd only in '06. Standard calipers were black, red and grey being a $750 option. Standard radio without subwoofer was a Sanyo with Macintosh radio and sub as a $4000 option. Center stripe is a $5400 option becasue they are painted on. BBS six spoke wheels are standard, BBS forged wheels a $4000 option. Livery paint job was a $13K option. Yo0u cannot import an American version into Canada. Canadian versions have a different front bumper (heavier), a longer rear bumper, nad no Mac option. By far and away, the best color is RED.

Great summary ... you were doing so well until the last sentence. All colors are great, but I'm sure you meant to say BLACK no stripes is the best color. :wink

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Color my world.

In 2006 Ford offered the car with a Heritage paint scheme. It is the baby blue and orange colors (Shell Racing). It was a $17,000 option as I recall and is probably the rarest color option (although yellow would be a close second).

Gentlemen,

Believe it or not, the 'limited edition' Heritage paint scheme is the third most common color among 2006 Ford GT's. Ford built more Heritage GT's in 2006 than they built 2006 red/white stripe GT's. The most common 2006 GT color is tungsten. Here's the breakdown of 2006 GT production.

Tungsten-541 (47 without stripes)
Red-348 (21 without stripes)
Heritage-343
Black-292 (107 without stripes)
White-222 (12 without stripes)
Midnight Blue-190 (16 without stripes)
Yellow-75 (6 without stripes)

Speed yellow was the rarest color both years of production. Tungsten(541 cars) and Heritage(343) were only produced during the 2006 model year. Quick Silver(114 cars) was only produced during the 2005 model year. It was the second rarest color in 2005, but since it was not produced in 2006, silver is the rarest color overall. If you want to go after a needle in a haystack, look for yellow car without stripes. Larry(AZGT) can tell you how to find one of those. Good luck in your search, we'll see you in Las Vegas. :cheers

Chip

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Chip, everything you write is absolute gospel; however, as you point out Heritage and Tungsten were only produced in 1 model year (ala Quick Silver) whereas Red (and the other popular colors) was produced in both years. Therefore, there are many more Red cars along with many of the other colors produced in '05 & '06.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Also...

AZGT mentioned the A-Arms. This was a big deal to me in buying my 2nd GT. I wanted the replacement billet A-Arms. They are only on the earlier 2005 models. It was Ford's emergency fix for the cracking "pressed" A-Arms (do a search for more information). They are expensive ($20k I'm told) and they look pretty sweet. Once Ford got production ramped up on cast a-arms they went into the rest of the 2005s and 2006s.
I own 2005 #1469 which has the billet A-Arms. What was the cut off point?

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
One thing that should be perfectly clear...BLACK is the perfect(and only...not TOO biased!) color for our FGT's!
Suggest, once you acquire your new "Gal", get rid of the Ugly Lump of a Mac speaker in favor of the Mac re-locate package you'll find on this Forum. Far better sound and extra storage, a bonus.
Also get the Safecraft fire extinguisher and billet bracket, preferably in black crinkle finish. Fits beautifully on the passenger side foot well. Very slick and professional!
Finally...buy your car from Shelby at Elite. A stand-up gentleman and a provider of honest cars; supporter of this Forum and a wealth of advice and info for the new owner (and old)!

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
One more item. I've read in previous posts that the Black ones have more accidents so they are getting rarer. :)

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Best color fpr curves!

If you want the best color for showing off the curves and lines of the GT checkout my Tungsten for sale. 06, all 4 options, 2400 miles. Email me or see the GTs for sale Forum.

Jsuit

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2008
Maryland
One thing that should be perfectly clear...BLACK is the perfect(and only...not TOO biased!) color for our FGT's!
Suggest, once you acquire your new "Gal", get rid of the Ugly Lump of a Mac speaker in favor of the Mac re-locate package you'll find on this Forum. Far better sound and extra storage, a bonus.
Also get the Safecraft fire extinguisher and billet bracket, preferably in black crinkle finish. Fits beautifully on the passenger side foot well. Very slick and professional!
Finally...buy your car from Shelby at Elite. A stand-up gentleman and a provider of honest cars; supporter of this Forum and a wealth of advice and info for the new owner (and old)!

I'll check with Elite when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

John

Jsuit

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2008
Maryland
Gtx1

What does a GTX1 go for? Price wise

I just ready all the stuff about the tops, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pursue one without a top however.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Regarding the billet A-arms, I have no. 1669 that was completed in Aug. 05', with rear upper billet control arms.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The best color is the one you like.

Heritage was a $13,000 option I think, not 17K.

As for future value, who knows. Yellow is rare, Heritage is 'so-called' SPECIAL. Will that make a difference 20 years from now? Who Cares!

Buy that you want and enjoy it.

Last edited: