Buy the C6 Vette or wait for the C7 in 2009/10?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I need some input from some vette people on a rookie question

I am thinking of buying a base 2007 Vette, as my driver.

I was told by Kerbeck, NJ Corvette Dealer that the 2008 will become available in Aug. and I read on some vette forum a rumor that the new 2010 C7 is already under development will become available in 2010.

What happens when the new C7 comes out? huge waiting lists, mark-ups, limited allocation flexibility / ordering, + 12 week wait for order, 1st year gremlins?

I also saw some bashing of the C6 (light covers, C5 similarity) on the Vette forums no less.

I have been wanting to buy a Vette since like 1996 and dont want to blow another 2-3yrs waiting, if its not worth it or buy the one generation that is at a collectibility discount.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You'll be waiting forever. Just buy it now. The Corvette is never sold at a premium for more than a very short period of time because they do such huge volume. I got my Z06 several thousand under only a few months after they had come out. As a DD, the C6 will be a fine car and they just bumped it to 430hp. The next-gen probably won't change that much anyways, and even if it does, it's probably not worth waiting an extra 3 years over what's out now....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You'll be waiting forever. Just buy it now. The Corvette is never sold at a premium for more than a very short period of time because they do such huge volume. I got my Z06 several thousand under only a few months after they had come out. As a DD, the C6 will be a fine car and they just bumped it to 430hp. The next-gen probably won't change that much anyways, and even if it does, it's probably not worth waiting an extra 3 years over what's out now....

+ 1

(I've been waiting since 1970 for the mid-engine 'Vette...)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No Forum will ever come close to how great this forum is, but the king of vette forums is www.corvetteforum.com. Here is a link directly to the C6 For Sale section http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=98

There are some good dealers on there with a lot of experience selling/shipping to out of state customers. At a minimum, you will see what kind of discounts are possible. I agree with the others that a vette would make a great dd. Perhaps there are still a few gripes here and there but it's hard not to agree that the vette represents one of the best values out there.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
No Forum will ever come close to how great this forum is, but the king of vette forums is www.corvetteforum.com. Here is a link directly to the C6 For Sale section http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=98

There are some good dealers on there with a lot of experience selling/shipping to out of state customers. At a minimum, you will see what kind of discounts are possible. I agree with the others that a vette would make a great dd. Perhaps there are still a few gripes here and there but it's hard not to agree that the vette represents one of the best values out there.

Pricing: Actual dealer cost is: "Net-Net Invoice"=(Invoice Amount) minus ("Holdback"). "Holdback" is 3% of MSRP. Also on the invoice is an amount for "Advertising"...you have to pay this because it is GM's charge to the dealer for Marketing Expenses. A good place to start your bargaining on a new Corvette which has not been on the dealers show floor more than a month is "Net-Net Invoice" plus $400. The "holdback" amount is to compensate the dealer for floor planning interest which starts a month after delivery. If you buy before this point, the dealer has 100% profit above "Net-Net Invoice". Anytime after, the floor planning interest begins eating into profits. Many larger city dealers will hold to "Net-Net" plus $1,000 as a minimum, but small town dealers will take the quick buck on a factory order paid upon arrival. Do your shopping, and insist on seeing the factory invoice. GM/dealer employees buy at "GMS Pricing", which is below "Net-Net Invoice". GMS pricing is on the invoice.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Basic Invoice Pricing Sources...RE: Previous Post

Sources for Basic Invoice Pricing...

www.kbb.com
www.edmunds.com

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
My math

Invoice of $40K (on a base vette per Kelly) - $1300 is like $38.7k and that seems like along way from MSRP of $44k

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/Pric...=9&VehicleClass=NewCar&ModelId=45&YearId=2007

The lowest I have seen online for NEW vette is $40k at Kerbeck.

Pricing: Actual dealer cost is: "Net-Net Invoice"=(Invoice Amount) minus ("Holdback"). "Holdback" is 3% of MSRP. Also on the invoice is an amount for "Advertising"...you have to pay this because it is GM's charge to the dealer for Marketing Expenses. A good place to start your bargaining on a new Corvette which has not been on the dealers show floor more than a month is "Net-Net Invoice" plus $400. The "holdback" amount is to compensate the dealer for floor planning interest which starts a month after delivery. If you buy before this point, the dealer has 100% profit above "Net-Net Invoice". Anytime after, the floor planning interest begins eating into profits. Many larger city dealers will hold to "Net-Net" plus $1,000 as a minimum, but small town dealers will take the quick buck on a factory order paid upon arrival. Do your shopping, and insist on seeing the factory invoice. GM/dealer employees buy at "GMS Pricing", which is below "Net-Net Invoice". GMS pricing is on the invoice.

MRFMAN

GT Owner
May 12, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
buy the vette. it is an excellent driver but not in the class of the GT40 (although not in the price class as well). I bought a Z06 and sent it out to Canada to have it cut into a convertible. (caravaggiocorvettes.com) I consider this to be the best car value in america.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I've a deposit in for an '07 Z07 for about year and a half now. Motor Trend just said it will have close to 700 HP, and hopefully not much more than a year and a half away.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I agree w/ DBK and others...buy an 07, or wait for the more powerful '08 if a few grand and a few more months doesn't matter to you. 3 years is a long time to wait for a C7.

I thoroughly enjoy my Vettes....they are waiting for a no stripe GT to join them in the garage soon. ;-)

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Had a 2005 C6 vette with the Z51 package, prior to trading it in for my GT. The C6 is a fantastic car and can be easily driven as an every day driver. I see no reason to wait. Vettes are easily (and cheaply) upgradeable, should you desire better performance or interior enhancements. Buy a slightly used 2006 C6 vette, since they will significantly depreciate, and you'll get a tremendous performance value!! But I don't see any advantage to waiting.:thumbsup

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
My math

Invoice of $40K (on a base vette per Kelly) - $1300 is like $38.7k and that seems like along way from MSRP of $44k

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/Pric...=9&VehicleClass=NewCar&ModelId=45&YearId=2007

The lowest I have seen online for NEW vette is $40k at Kerbeck.

Kayvan...Shop around and if necessary, work another dealer against your chosen one. Kerbeck's prices have always been higher than a persistent negotiator has been able to achieve in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. When I bought my GT, I negotiated the pricing above "Net-Net Invoice" cost...we didn't talk anywhere near MSRP or discount from MSRP, and this was last summer. I was straight with the dealer, letting him know I knew the cost and hold-back basis, and we agreed upon a fair profit for him and a very reasonable savings for me. Went out of state to a small town dealer I found on the Ford dealer vehicle search network. He received the car and I picked it up from him immediately. It was a very pleasant experience all the way around. You may have to work a little to find the right dealer, but it should work out for you. Big dealers buy allocated cars from small town guys all the time at way less than list, or on an invoice basis with dealer trades for other cars. Don't let the marketing hype unnerve you. I am already seeing low mileage used 505HP Z06 Corvettes on the used lots around here.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
If you buy a vette, don't turn into one of the Vette fags (similar to a Ferrari Fag) that wear corvette shirts, jackets, caps, and gives their vettes b-day presents.:wink :lol

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks for he tip.

I'm head to toe custom made threads.

If you buy a vette, don't turn into one of the Vette fags (similar to a Ferrari Fag) that wear corvette shirts, jackets, caps, and gives their vettes b-day presents.:wink :lol