"Butt Rub" - Not the spice

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
We bought, but will not be using, the Ford Racing seat covers.

We do, however, need easily removable covers to protect the factor seat, not look heinous and be used only occasionally.

There have been discussions of floor mats all the way from pink velour to Pep Boy specials, but I did not come across any mention of a driver's (and passengers) covers.

Anyone come across something that is viable for this use?

- doc

(*Butt Rub tm is a Southern spice blend for barbeque.)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sounds like on that ROCK STAR over on Viper Alley is just waiting to answer :lol

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Paul:

I think that the Ford Racing covers are likely ideal for track events. They are very heavy duty, canvas-like covers which fasten to the stock seats (snap, buckle).

What would be better would be more of a slip cover arrangement that you could use briefly and remove. The Ford covers are more elaborate to put into place; not for casual use.

The analogy would be a cotton car cover for rapid deployment vs. one of the heavier, form fitting units that then are attached so that they cannot be influenced by wind, etc.

Hope that helps.

- doc

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Have nothing to add on the seat covers, but I use my 2003 Mini Cooper S car mat on top of my driver's side Ford GT mat and it works fine, fits well, does not move and preserves my floor mat. And I don't worry about any damage to the orignal mat. :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Paul:

They are very stiff and appear to be pure canvas. They seem ideal for global protection. They are not designed for casual use. Likely, as you state, there are simple generic covers that would meet the need.

Atomic GT:

Yes, there seem to be many straight forward ways to protect the stock (mats). I liked the idea of the black rubber mats with the Ford logo.

- doc

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I put the Ford Racing covers on right before the Rally. The seat back fits very nicely, but the bottom cushion is a little loose. Also, there is no hole to get at the mesh pocket on the front of the seat cushion. They do hold up well, but the absolute best thing is, if you're caught in the rain, or even shortly afterward, when you open the door, they really protect the seats from any water that gets in. I've been very happy with them, and with all the people that want to get in and out of the car, they offer excellent protection. There is also a big map pocket on the back. They are made by CoverCraft, the same people that made the supplied car cover.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rain? RAIN? You drive your GT in the rain? Blasphemy!

Yes, I can see how they would repel moisture. They are very heavy guage material. They would repel the seasonal rains in Vietnam. Then, again, I am still in Saigon in my mind.

- doc

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am using the Ford seat covers as well. They loosen up pretty good after a couple of times in the wash. It takes me maybe a minute to put them on. I guess a slip cover would be faster though.

I am happy with mine and would recommend them.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Ford Racing seat covers

eshrink said:
We bought, but will not be using, the Ford Racing seat covers.

We do, however, need easily removable covers to protect the factor seat, not look heinous and be used only occasionally.

There have been discussions of floor mats all the way from pink velour to Pep Boy specials, but I did not come across any mention of a driver's (and passengers) covers.

Anyone come across something that is viable for this use?

- doc

(*Butt Rub tm is a Southern spice blend for barbeque.)
Do the Ford Racing seat covers "butt rub"?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
What am I missing? What's the need or application for the seat cover? Are you simply trying to minimize wear on the OEM seats?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, that was my purpose. A new seat is $4K. I also bought them at a discount from Capaldi Racing in MI. Nice place to deal with. Go to CapaldiRacing.com. Price is up a bit, but very nice people to deal with. You have to soak the covers in saltwater for half an hour or so first, then wash them in cold water in a machine to set the color (black). I bought them because the weather around St. Louis is so hot and humid during the summer and I don't like me or riders sweating on the leather. Punch, I can't see that they they would abrade the leather in any way. They are just cotton canvas.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Running Em In The Rain - Is OK!!

eshrink said:
Rain? RAIN? You drive your GT in the rain? Blasphemy!

- doc
Doc,
GUILTY AS CHARGED!:smash
Did 350+ miles yesterday going to Dallas IN THE RAIN.
Ran a number of stretches at 100+ mph with Mrs. Spirit following in another car.:biggrin
Runs as good in the rain as in the "dry".:thumbsup
Only problem in the rain [according to Mrs. Spirit] is the "rooster tail" created by the GT, makes for difficult vision for any one trying to chase you.:bored
But I think that could be a good thing!!:wink

I Just Love This Car!!:banana

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Spirit:

Sounds like you two had a great time. Wonderful time of the year.

Best,

- doc

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
eshrink said:
Spirit:

Sounds like you two had a great time. Wonderful time of the year.

Best,

- doc
Doc,
We really did [as usual].:biggrin
Dopped the GT off with a shop in Dallas to do some "body" work.
Then over to Unique Performance for the car show.
There where quite a number of GT owners there to enjoy the day with.:thumbsup
Was great show, some very nice machines there including SilverBullitt's GT and Sonny's Mustang GT 350SR, JUST TOO COOL!!:cool
By the way, thanks to SilverBullitt for the nights stay at the fabulous "Crawford Arms" on Lake Travis in Austin Friday night. The entertinment was GREAT!!:cheers
Look forward to see you Dallas guys in a few weeks when the GT Guys work on our cars.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Was Carroll Shelby at the show?

Spirit said:
Doc,
We really did [as usual].:biggrin
Dopped the GT off with a shop in Dallas to do some "body" work.
Then over to Unique Performance for the car show.
There where quite a number of GT owners there to enjoy the day with.:thumbsup
Was great show, some very nice machines there including SilverBullitt's GT and Sonny's Mustang GT 350SR, JUST TOO COOL!!:cool
By the way, thanks to SilverBullitt for the nights stay at the fabulous "Crawford Arms" on Lake Travis in Austin Friday night. The entertinment was GREAT!!:cheers
Look forward to see you Dallas guys in a few weeks when the GT Guys work on our cars.
N/T

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Prowler said:
Prowler,
Shelby could not make it.:frown
Maybe we will catch up with him another time.:biggrin
:cheers

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, yeah, I was in Dallas this morning en route to Tampa. Pouring down rain. What's the matter with driving in the rain? My car seems to be a rain magnet. Zaino does the job and the fender wells are extemely easy to clean up.