Burnout Question

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
My GT has OEM tires which I am planning to replace soon. Prior to that why not a little fun. Since I am wanting to terrify my wife on her FIRST ride.....can someone give me tips on proper technique for Burnout in a GT. thanks in advance.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do not do near curbs or lots with any barriers or dividers

Couple lost control & it gets bad fast

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
2nd gear, pop the clutch at 2000 RPM with medium pressure on the brakes. Be sure you have plenty of room around you as the tendency to exchange front for rear will be high... That is, it will want to do "cookies" instead of going straight. This is from my first 10 hours of experimenting.

So this is another question: Has anyone done a line lock kit? Lots easier to do burnouts if you can lock the front brakes without the rears. I was looking and it seems to be almost the same brake line setup as the Mustangs.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I can burnout in 1st or 2nd without dumping the clutch...just by nailing the throttle once in gear, but as was said above...make sure there's plenty of space around as the rear likes to come about face...not as bad as my SRT10, but still --

Just know that most of that rubber is going to end up on your rear panels - LOL

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
GT pictures 002.jpgJust a word of caution here. As neat as burn outs may be, they are EXTREMELY hard on clutches. At the shop, I changed more than a few clutch assemblies on engineering cars due to burnouts done by nimrods who thought they were race drivers, and wanted to show their "expertise". Is a smokey burn out worth the $3,000.00 or so to have a new clutch installed? If you MUST do a burn out, at least put a little water down and use 1st gear, feathering the gas so you don't over rev. Here is a picture of the results of a massive burn out.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
this is how i do mine i strap my but in the seat really good than i carefully bring the revs to a maximum of 6900 rpms after that i look right ,left if is all clear i instantly drop the clutch and wait for the out come

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
No comment...LOL

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Rich R. took the words right out of my mouth. (One pic is worth 3 hrs of debate.)

I'd be willing to bet that one good hard run from a rolling start thru 1st & second gear would do the job far better anyway ("...terrify my wife on her FIRST ride!"). (I know just one hard burst in 2nd gear while going around a ROAD HOG :mad had that result with my own 'better half'!)

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Scratches head...

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree with GT Tech. You are likely gonna put a lot of stress on your clutch. Not worth it in my opinion. We have fixed more than one car from people that attempted a burn out with their GT that "backfired". Not worth it in my opinion.....

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
What that picture does not show is the damage when I pulled the clutch assembly apart. The front disc had no friction material left on it at all, and the other disc was nothing but the center hub. It had gotten so hot that it burned up the seals on the throw out bearing, causing all the fluid to leak out. Not a pretty sight.

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
All great advice.....which I humbly accept. Not a good idea to "experiment" here.....especially at my level of driving experience. Takin it easy.......

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Burnouts are fun in a car like this--

99Dragster002.jpg

But not the best idea with a car like this, in my opinion-

Picture0271.jpg

Eddie:biggrin

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
So you've done a few of those burnouts, eh Eddie?? :biggrin

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
While I am a quite conservative driver, why not find a wide open space, roll completely into first gear so no clutch issues, then nail it?

Should have enough power in first or second gear, fully engaged, where you dont have to drop clutch and risk clutch damage.

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Leave the burnouts to the dragsters! Why take the chance of damaging your GT? Been there, done that when I was young and very foolish but not in a vehicle worth S165,000 with 550plus HP.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Just rev in first to like 3k to 4k and dump clutch............I have done burnouts in all my rear wheel drive cars for years. Its not that big a deal if you know what you are doing. I used to drag race all the time back in the day. You have to be good at warming up the tires before a race. I say go in an open area and have fun. Don't be scared enjoy that GT!!!!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Before everybody scares you out of driving your car like a mad man, just keep in mind that we don’t want to see you or the car hurt (in that order). Then ignore the grandmas and go burn the rubber off those goodyears.
Compression braking is one thing to be aware of, the motor will present the same scenario as pulling an emergency brake when you lift (if you don’t mash the clutch). With that in mind… take some pictures!!

Really good thread on chassis dynamics of the GT here: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?23929-loose-control-under-acceleration

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Most important thing while burning out...have the steering wheel straight. You'll lose it otherwise.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Then ignore the grandmas and go burn the rubber off those goodyears.

Whippersnapper...:sleep: