Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ford-gt/?blm=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
Crazy - i got an email from a broker the other day and he has 15 (yes 15) 05/06 FGT's listed for sale - Prices ranging from 175k to 335k - Take your pick - The market on these cars is a yo-yo right now

SGB

Prices based on what? Was the $175K car a salvage title or extremely high miles?

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
I have been looking too. A lot of the listings I find seem to be the same GT's listed over and over again with over market prices. I havent found too many fairly priced ones.

What broker are you getting contacted by?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ 1st post.... Welcome.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What broker are you getting contacted by?

Don't expect an outright answer on that.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
^^^ 1st post.... Welcome.

Thank you. I have been a long time admirer of GT's. Hoping to join the club soon.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
Don't expect an outright answer on that.

Michael Runnalls out of NYC 631 339 0399

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
He emailed me a list this AM that has 19 private owner 05/06 FGT's for sale

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Michael Runnalls out of NYC 631 339 0399

I was wrong. Great job.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Crazy - i got an email from a broker the other day and he has 15 (yes 15) 05/06 FGT's listed for sale - Prices ranging from 175k to 335k - Take your pick - The market on these cars is a yo-yo right now

SGB

Clearly not. This one brought a nice number, sale or no sale and I've been watching and similarly priced cars with no accident history have sold privately and on EBay. Poor pricing and poor carfax history stalls sales.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Fair market value is determined by what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller at a given point in time. Having been on the non-dearler side of the buying and selling of WAY too many cars, I have learned that there is a vast gulf between internet asks/offers and actual transactions. The internets have done nothing but complicate and confuse the matter. I generally dismiss internet chatter on values, primarily because the chatters have no skin in the game.

However, as a guy who just bought a GT, I can share my perspective, however flawed it may be. I was much more interested in condition and history than I was in price. Ironically, while I chose a car with only 800 miles on it, I wasn't looking for an investment car. I just wanted a car that I could modify and customize to my tastes, and then go out and drive at 220 mph. I also wanted a car that was as near to factory new as possible. In other words, I wanted a car where the only patina added would be from me, and the only stories told about the car were mine. I'm kinda selfish that way.

I had dealt with Shelby on a couple of previous exotic car transactions, and I knew from experience that he does his homework, pays great attention to detail, and doesn't suffer fools. I flew out to look at several of the cars he had in stock, and chose one that rang my bell. I have NEVER, EVER, EVER purchased a car without looking at in person, no matter how inconvenient and last-minute the trip may be. This is true even if the car is a new car at the originating dealer. When I look at EBAY, it's usually only for entertainment. When it comes down to the deadly serious business of forking over money for the genuine article, I generally try to eliminate as much risk as possible by dealing with known entities. Shelby fits that bill for me. I've also learned that his pricing on GTs is a pretty solid indicator FMV. It seems to me that he buys his cars with intelligence and sells them fairly.

So, there are always going to be a few GTs out there for sale with a wide variance of stories associated with them. I watched a couple of them sell at Barrett Jackson a few weeks ago, and they were both very nice cars that were right on the money, in my opinion. The market, however, is so tiny that I really wonder whether it should be called a market at all. Every car is different, and every buyer has their own agenda. My take, however, after doing a ton of research, is as follows: If a person is interested in a GT of extraordinary quality, then the number is going to be north of $300K. This is what I just paid. If a person is willing to take a few risks on an oddball car or one with a patchy history, the number will be significantly lower. It all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish and what motivates both the buyer and the seller.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
My take, however, after doing a ton of research, is as follows: If a person is interested in a GT of extraordinary quality, then the number is going to be north of $300K. This is what I just paid. If a person is willing to take a few risks on an oddball car or one with a patchy history, the number will be significantly lower. It all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish and what motivates both the buyer and the seller.

As a guy that also just bought one, I am intrigued by our market discussions. My biggest take-away from my year of research, is that a careful buyer can do well finding the middle of the vast spread between what a dealer pays for these cars and what they sell them for.

The most repeated shopping advice I received from forum members, was to embrace the reduced-risk and comfort of buying a pre-screened car from Shelby or Marv, and I took that under serious consideration. However, I enjoyed applying my experience as a life-long car enthusiast to properly vetting private-sale cars. This led to a car that I feel is of extraordinary quality, without any patchy history, and for far south of $300k.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
. However, I enjoyed applying my experience as a life-long car enthusiast to properly vetting private-sale cars. This led to a car that I feel is of extraordinary quality, without any patchy history, and for far south of $300k.

Your comments illustrate an important point about the hobby: sometimes the quest is as enjoyable as the purchase. I admire your patience and that you prevailed after a year of searching. My problem is that I am simply get so enthusiastic that I take the shortcut and rely on the sure thing. It seems obvious, based on your experience, that my impatience carries with it a higher price tag :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Your comments illustrate an important point about the hobby: sometimes the quest is as enjoyable as the purchase. I admire your patience and that you prevailed after a year of searching. My problem is that I am simply get so enthusiastic that I take the shortcut and rely on the sure thing. It seems obvious, based on your experience, that my impatience carries with it a higher price tag :)
Yep. It's a matter of patience, reward and the time value of money. I love pounding nails but I don't do drywall any more. I found if I paid drywallers I could get to the fun stuff like trim and cabinets faster.

Last edited:

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas

Although I did not have the privilege of being able to read many of your earlier vaunted posts & reviews before your return, I am enjoying them now!
Well said!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Yep. It's a matter of patience, reward and the time value of money

Actually, the vast majority of Men today have lost the dark art of haggling.

I was born next to a Bazaar that dates back 2500yrs; you learned to haggle.

I just offered a very, very well known Cali exotic dealer 50% of his asking price, yes you read that right (-50% below his ask).

His jaw fell to the ground and his poker face vanished.

90 days later he is still calling me trying to get that 50% offer.

Whether its a showroom or Boardroom you have to get to their motive; if a sale or position needs to happen thats THE GOAL.

-50% or 300%+ is regardless.

Pick how much you want to make.

doug5m5

Feb 23, 2017
Newport Beach Ca
I am looking for a 06 with less than 10k miles. Call 714-496-6255

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yep. It's a matter of patience, reward and the time value of money. I love pounding nails but I don't do drywall any more. I found if I paid drywallers I could get to the fun stuff like trim and cabinets faster.
I hear ya, drywall work sucks. Finish work is much more rewarding. ;-)
I'm generally a pretty patient buyer and will wait for the right deal. However, when I decided that I would buy a FGT, I had to really work to hold my excitement in check!