Brembo Two Piece Rotors

Enzo101

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
Clarksville, AR
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but are the Brembo two piece rotors that much better over the factory rotors? Not going to do a lot of tracking but would like a bit better braking performance. Suggestions on pads as well?
Thank you.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Just one man's opinion...

If you are looking at improving braking distances, I would look at the following in order of importance
1) tires
2) pads
3) rotors
I doubt you'd see the benefits of 2 piece rotors on the street. They have various advantages on the track. I havent researched FGT specific pads, but I always used Hawk on my race car (DTC-60/70) and performance street cars (HPS).

Reactions: Enzo101 and 2112

Enzo101

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
Clarksville, AR
Appreciate the advice. I'm doing brakes and tires not but figured I'd see what the consensus is. Found a set new for $1400 so wasnt sure if it was worth doing since it's not much more.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto what BtwoG said. If you’re not tracking, two-piece rotors will give you no advantages. If you are going to the track, How many times do you plan to stomp on the brakes at 150+ MPH? If the answer is “every lap, every two minutes,” then consider brake upgrades.

FYI, with 70,000 miles and three track days on my 05 GT, I still have the original brake pads. The stock brakes are plenty stout for street driving and occasional track use.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need advice from SpecRacer and Rocketman. They did threads on this and pads a long time ago. You might consider titanium shims.

Enzo101

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
Clarksville, AR
Thank you all for answering. Going with factory.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
IF you were tracking, Gyrodisc has a great 2 piece rotor that is available (not sure if the Ford Racing ones, Brembo, are still) . For pads Padgid yellows. They are still safe on the street (true race pads are not), but can squeak al low speeds (I dont mind at all).

As you have figured, the stock rotors are Just find for the street.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
IF you were tracking, Gyrodisc has a great 2 piece rotor that is available (not sure if the Ford Racing ones, Brembo, are still) . For pads Padgid yellows. They are still safe on the street (true race pads are not), but can squeak al low speeds (I dont mind at all).

As you have figured, the stock rotors are Just find for the street.

Are you reusing your hat and just replacing the outer disc?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have not tracked it enough (and likely wont ever) to need to replace the rotors, but if I did, I would keep the hat, and change only the rotor.

If you are looking for some, maybe talk to Scott Ahlman, he represents them in addition to his shocks @sahlman

Reactions: 2112

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I ran Girodiscs on my Viper ACR…..great product.

Reactions: white out

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
If I needed some retail therapy I'd get them because they look cool

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Heres the Pagid yellows that are for serious track work and when hot are AMAZING in bite/feel.
Still fine for street use.

I bought the titanium shims, but on the new Pagid yellows I couldn't get them to slide in (only needed 1mm per rotor to fit them in) so couldn't used them for the first outing.

Would've been nice to have tried the shims as by the end of the track day (Sebring) the drivers rear caliber changed colour due to high temps.

Attachments

• IMG_5674.JPG
    IMG_5674.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Shims wont stop that. All 4 of my calipers are now gold (used to be silver)

20200615_102353.jpg

Would've been nice to have tried the shims as by the end of the track day (Sebring) the drivers rear caliber changed colour due to high temps.

Reactions: white out and 2112

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You can also remove the front brake duct caps for additional cooling with only a slight increase in drag.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Specracer.....
How many track days did that take to change.
Would've thought the paint was more stable than that.
Was it all corners (mine was really only rears that changed)
Gold looks nice actually..

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have pretty much only tracked it at Rallys however many that has been (off the top of my head...NOLA, spring mountain, VIR, Texas World, Miller 2x). Do keep in mind, I am a very experienced racer, so I do pedal the car harder than some may. I dont mind the gold either, but I do have set of new silver calipers "on the shelf" should I ever feel like them being silver again.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am amazed how perfectly uniform the color change was. Looks like they were painted gold to begin with.

I like the look.

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Specracer isn't really telling the whole truth. Ask him about his great dane's bladder habits.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
How do you come up with this stuff?

Specracer isn't really telling the whole truth. Ask him about his great dane's bladder habits.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What stuff?