Brake Pads

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
Just got set of harder brake pads and part # is same as Subaru Impreza WRX. I called the Autopartswarehouse.com people to check it out and they said that they were in fact the proper fitment. Does anyone know about this?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Ha ha ha! That's funny! Tell me some more jokes this morning.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I would say it's true. Last year I stopped at the "Hawk Brake " booth at the SEMA show. They had a catalog and we looked up the cross reference chart for the GT and I think it said the same thing. I kinda laughed but I know the Subies use Brembos and they probably about the same weight so it's not that shocking. I guess you just don't want to brag to your friends " Hey my GT uses the same pads as a Subie".
What pads are you looking at. I attended at Justin Bell driving school a few years back all of the zo6's were equipped with the Hawk pads. They said they tried many different types but they were unmatched for stopping power and durability. Do a search I think someone here has tried them.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Next you're going to try and tell me the steering column is from a Ford Focus :rofl

Can't we just stick with the Aston Martin parts catalog?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Next you're going to try and tell me the steering column is from a Ford Focus :rofl

Can't we just stick with the Aston Martin parts catalog?

No ,but guess where you key FOB or Windshield wiper stalk came from...:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
No ,but guess where you key FOB or Windshield wiper stalk came from...:biggrin

Same place the engine block came from... F250?

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
The Stillen catalog has GT pads with the same part numbers as the WRX, so there is another source.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I recall reading a post stating that the WRX pads fit, but are a little thinner than the stock GT pads. However if you want more compound choices, the thinner WRX size pads are the only choice.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Just got set of harder brake pads and part # is same as Subaru Impreza WRX. I called the Autopartswarehouse.com people to check it out and they said that they were in fact the proper fitment. Does anyone know about this?

What year Impreza...and do you have a part#?

Thanks

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The Subaru WRX uses the same pad as the GT.

Brembo uses pretty much the same caliper/design for almost all of their OE applications. It is the "F40" caliper. We offer a wide array of pads for the Ford GT. Everything from a good pad for daily driving all the way up to a made to order race pad. We used the race pads on the NZ rally, they take about three to four weeks to make. They will dust a lot and squeal, but the performance is amazing.

Also the front pads are the same as the rear pads.

http://www.stillen.com/browse.asp?c=BR&year=2006&make=FORD&model=GT

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thanks Kyle :thumbsup

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
The Brembos come on the STI version of the Impreza. I have an 2005 but I believe the current 07's use the same caliper.BTW, the Nissan 350z also uses this caliper.

It's a decent caliper that has held up quite well for my track adventures! The downfall however is flex in the casting that leads to a not so precise pedal feel.

Fred Underwood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Dallas, Texas
First post Gentlemen: Re: Brake Pads
Decided to order some spare parts from Ford for the Girl which included brake assembly kits. Part # 4G7Z-2001-AA---$535.84 total for front and rear pads. Probably a bit over sensitive about staying with Ford---that's just me.

Underwood
06 Tungston

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
First post Gentlemen: Re: Brake Pads
Decided to order some spare parts from Ford for the Girl which included brake assembly kits. Part # 4G7Z-2001-AA---$535.84 total for front and rear pads. Probably a bit over sensitive about staying with Ford---that's just me.

I've got my spare box of ford pads in my garage as well.

STORMCAT said:
No ,but guess where you key FOB or Windshield wiper stalk came from...
?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The Subaru WRX uses the same pad as the GT.

Brembo uses pretty much the same caliper/design for almost all of their OE applications. It is the "F40" caliper. We offer a wide array of pads for the Ford GT. Everything from a good pad for daily driving all the way up to a made to order race pad. We used the race pads on the NZ rally, they take about three to four weeks to make. They will dust a lot and squeal, but the performance is amazing.

Also the front pads are the same as the rear pads.

http://www.stillen.com/browse.asp?c=BR&year=2006&make=FORD&model=GT

Kyle is right on. Race pads sound cool, but do not make good daily driver pads.

A. They need a little heat to start working well. Some compounds will increase stopping distance by a long amount when cold.

B. They are noisy, not real flattering for your supercar

C. Most are not as rotor friendly as OEM. They will cut nice little lines in the rotors.

D. They Dust like hell

E. When hot and on the track they work Very Well. Most will notice a quicker pedal response (bite).

Some are better than others. I would say the Hawk HPS is more friendly pad, but IMO not better than the stock GT pad. The Hawk Blues are pretty common track wear. These are nasty dusty and squeel like a cat, but work as advertised.

I got to the point where I just swap them in for track days and drive with the stock stuff on the street. This is not on the GT, but for other cars I have used for open track. I doubt the GT would be any different. I, like others in the Vet groups have switched to Carbotech over Hawk for the Z06. Better feel, bite and easy to modulate than Blues IMO, plus far more rotor friendly and a bit less dust. If you want the ultimate rotor grinder and stopping force, it's hard to beat the performance friction PF01.

Kyle may chime in on his favorite compounds for the weight of the GT. He has some mfg's that are pretty popular as well.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
brake pads

The stock pads are fine for me on the track. They are easy on the rotors for sure. The harder compound pads will wear, & even crack your rotors, on the track. Plus, most of them, won't work until heated up & kept heated. However, the harder compound pads will grab better & fade less. I drive at 7/10 on the track for 25 minutes so the stock pads are great. The brake system on the GT is very nice!

Ed

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I can attest to the bite of the GT brake system as compared to a C5 Z06. While following Ed down the front straight at BW, he went deeper than I normally do. I hit my brakes and was not slowing as quickly as he was. I also have race pads on the Z06. Good thing he was quick to get on the gas or I may have given him a free bumper delete.:eek Scared the dodo out of me, actually considered the dirt patch to the left. My mistake was using his breaking zone via his tail lights and not my normal mark.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Here's a pic of the caliper on my STI. I used the Hawk HP+ pads, when cold they do feel somewhat wooden compared to the stockers.

Ok, sorry....enough Subaru talk! :)

Attachments

• IMG_7976.jpg
    IMG_7976.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale