Boys of Bonneville: Racing on a Ribbon of Salt

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
With a special thanks to Greg Miller, we will be attending the invitation-only premiere gala of Boys of Bonneville: Racing on a Ribbon of Salt. A great tie in to the one mile racing many of us do today, and a great opportunity since we're just down the road from the Salt Flats. This will be on the first night of Rally 6, Wednesday August 24th. :cheers

http://www.boysofbonneville.com/

[video=vimeo;24781714]http://vimeo.com/24781714[/video]

[video=vimeo;21066666]http://vimeo.com/21066666[/video]

Boys of Bonneville: Racing on a Ribbon of Salt is about an America that has all but disappeared, when lucrative business deals were cemented by a handshake and state of the art automobiles were designed on the backs of envelopes. It tells the story of an unsung hero and self-made man, David Abbott Jenkins, who, with almost superhuman stamina and boyish charm, set out to single-handedly break every existing land speed record on his beloved Bonneville Salt Flats of Utah. More than a century later, many of “Ab’s” records remain unbroken and the legacy lives on in his custom car. Looking like something Batman would have owned, the story comes full circle when Ab’s son Marv, restores the 12-cylinder, 4800-pound “Mormon Meteor” to its glory days for a ceremonial lap on the salt.

The film features pristine archival footage of Ab, Marv, and their races, as well as recently shot HD interviews with a stellar list of car and racing aficionados (including Jay Leno and Col. Andy Green, the current land speed holder). The car resides in Salt Lake City’s Price Museum of Speed (www.pricemuseumofspeed.org) and will be visiting select cities as part of its Film Festival tour.

Boys of Bonneville
is that rare animal: an exhilarating film about an unknown American hero which leaves its audience cheering to the rafters and grabbing for their cell phones demanding to know “who is this guy and where can I see this car?”

"This is a great film. You guys did a fabulous job bringing Ab’s story and his remarkable record-setting history to life. I can hardly believe what he was able to accomplish – just one man and his machine.”Parnelli Jones

“Boys of Bonneville: Racing on a Ribbon of Salt should be on your list of must-see racing films.” — Matt DeLorenzo (Editor-in-Chief, Road & Track)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Fantastic!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Gets better and better!

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Tried to order DVD, can't.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looks like a real treat!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Outstanding Dave!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Now to ask the question, what is the attire?

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Will any of us be able to run at Bonneville during the week of the 22nd?
This would be a perfect time for us to see what our cars can do..

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Not in the cards. The Salt Flats are a car destroyer. I've been on the before and even at a slow 5 mph crawl, I was cleaning salt out of nooks and crannies for weeks. Nasty, nasty place to take your car. Really cool place to visit though.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Not in the cards. The Salt Flats are a car destroyer. I've been on the before and even at a slow 5 mph crawl, I was cleaning salt out of nooks and crannies for weeks. Nasty, nasty place to take your car. Really cool place to visit though.
Thanks, that answered it for me..

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Outstanding...looking forward to watching....
andy (AJB)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Best way to be sure that all salt is removed, after running at Bonneville, is to drive the vehicle into a swimming pool and let it set there for 3 days....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Best way to be sure that all salt is removed, after running at Bonneville, is to drive the vehicle into a swimming pool and let it set there for 3 days....

Is this from experience? :eek:eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Someone drove a Veyron into a salt water lake, does that count?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Someone drove a Veyron into a salt water lake, does that count?

Thought that Ralphie might have been holding something back.... :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

No, but I've seen enough cars come back from Bonneville that still wind up with corrosion after many days of pressure washing - the salt just gets in everwhere...

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Outstanding.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I love this stuff! Thanks for lining up this unique opportunity for us!