bottle jack

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Anybody found a bottle jack that will fit under the Ford GT that doesn't cost a fortune? Even any jack other than a floor jack. I am trying to lift a side at a time while my car is on my Backyard Buddy.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think there is much that would fit on the ramps. You might get enough clearance by using a "jack tray" but the jacks would have to fit inside the ramps. Even then most short profile bottle jacks probably don't have the lifting range to even get the tires off of the ramps. I would recommend getting a pair of "rolling" bridge jacks. Costly, but very easy to use on the FGT.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Backyard Buddy has one, but it is made for newer Corvettes. I will have to have them redesign, and may not work.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Thanks Blackice.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I found a scissor jack that works on the Home Depot web site. In fact, I keep it in the trunk.....just in case. $10 as I recall.

Howard

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
That jack won't work. You can't get any handle motion.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I tried a scissor jack and it did not work. I found two solutions that work. I went to Greg Smith Equipment and bought an air bag jack. It is basically a rubber bladder from a semi truck's suspension. It has a metal base and a metal jacking surface on which I put a hockey puck. Put it on the jack tray and air from my compressor inflates the back and voila, one corner, not the entire side of the car is lifted. There is a valve to release the air so you dont have to keep the air hose connected. They have a one bagger and a two bagger. Min height on the 2 bagger is 5-3/4" and it costs $249.

Another solution is an inflatable kevlar bag. Many towing companies use them, but were twice to three times more expensive than the air bag solution.

Good luck

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Good idea, except my stock FGT measures a little over 5 inches underneath.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Jim, I tried the Home Depot scissor jack as soon as it was delivered to me. I didn't use a normal inboard jack point. Instead I used the firewall bulkhead base directly below the door key, the same technique for getting two jackstands on the proper jack points on one side of the car. As I recall it wasn't easy but I got the whole side of the car up. I think the retracted height of the jack is 4.75"

Howard

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am not sure what your budget is.

I ordered a Bendpak lift (yet to arrive) and am considering one of these. I thought I may be able to lift the front first, stabilize it with jackstands (and 4"x6" crossmember if needed) then move the jack to the rear and lift that end

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/DIRECT-LIFT-PRO-JACK-3500-p/pro-jack3500.htm

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Back to the air bag solution I found. My jack tray on lift adds 2 inches +/- below ground level, so it is no problem getting the 2-bagger to clear the car. If you want a jack to us while car is on the ground, you could go the one bag option and make the best of both situations.