Boost Gauge

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I have a Whipple with a 19 psi pulley and now my boost gauge is not working. At idle the gauge shows a vacuum of about 23 and under full boost the gauge is showing 0 psi. I can tell by the way the car runs that I haven't lost any boost so I am sure that it is a gauge issue. Is there something else I can check before I put a new gauge in the car?

Thanks
Ted

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I have a Whipple with a 19 psi pulley and now my boost gauge is not working. At idle the gauge shows a vacuum of about 23 and under full boost the gauge is showing 0 psi. I can tell by the way the car runs that I haven't lost any boost so I am sure that it is a gauge issue. Is there something else I can check before I put a new gauge in the car?

Thanks
Ted

If you have a MAFia, your gauge will not work properly.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I am using an SCT tuner and we put a new air flow sensor in the car. Do you think this is my issue?

Ted

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
If you have a MAFia, your gauge will not work properly.

I have a MAFia, and mine works fine, aside from not being able to register 20 psi, that is....

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I have a MAFia, and mine works fine, aside from not being able to register 20 psi, that is....

+1

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What is the Mafia set to # ?

The boost guage in the vehicle is not actual but inferred from sensor data primarily the MAFv.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
So... If I understand you correctly the boost gauge gets its information from the MAF? Does the MAF need to be "set" so my gauge will read correctly?

Thanks
Ted

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Or you can use one of my gauges....

Attachments

• gt gauge 026 Resized.jpg
    gt gauge 026 Resized.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Or you can use one of my gauges....

Dibs on the next one available Freeflyer!:wink PM sent with contact info. Thank you!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
So... If I understand you correctly the boost gauge gets its information from the MAF? Does the MAF need to be "set" so my gauge will read correctly?

Thanks
Ted

When you alter the signal and rescale everything to work properly thru the cal it can alter how the gauge interprets the actual pressure.

Freeflyer has a killer as stock solution for this. Or you can go for digital touch screen goodness :

DSC04987.jpg

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Show off. How's the car with the whipple now?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Its a neat piece. You by far have the best OE solution though. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Freeflyer has the best solution, reading to 30 PSI. Barring that you can work with your tuner to get the stock gauge to read correctly up to its 15 psi limit if your GT is not too extreme (< 800 RWHP). Too much HP equals more airflow. With more airflow the MAF table needs to be scaled downward. This is what many if not all tunes do. IMO with less than 800 HP the MAF table can be adjusted to have the gauge work correctly while having sufficient headroom for safety.

A gauge reading to only 15 PSI really only shows you vacuum to about 0 PSI, or it jumps to 15 PSI real fast! I never seen the gauge stay anywhere between 0 and <15 PSI for very long.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

What I think would be real cool is a Boost Gauge installed in the engine compartment facing the rear view mirror inside the car. Now if someone was clever, you would print the numbers backwards so that they would read properly when looking through the rear view mirror.

AND... if you wanted to get real crazy, then you would design a gauge case that could include a light pointed at the top of the shiny SC ribbed surface reflecting the light (color of choice of course) and then have the light intensify with the increase in boost. Can you imagine what the cars behind would see?????:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

BTW, the same gauge could be a digital readout, but, I do not know if anyone manufactures them to read backwards. So how about it Dustin?

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Anything is possible..

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
What I think would be real cool is a Boost Gauge installed in the engine compartment facing the rear view mirror inside the car. Now if someone was clever, you would print the numbers backwards so that they would read properly when looking through the rear view mirror.

AND... if you wanted to get real crazy, then you would design a gauge case that could include a light pointed at the top of the shiny SC ribbed surface reflecting the light (color of choice of course) and then have the light intensify with the increase in boost. Can you imagine what the cars behind would see?????:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

BTW, the same gauge could be a digital readout, but, I do not know if anyone manufactures them to read backwards. So how about it Dustin?

Wow, have we been doing a little "smokin" at lunch today? Very funny!!! I used to get those kind of ideas in the 70's.....

H

HHGT

Wow, have we been doing a little "smokin" at lunch today? Very funny!!! I used to get those kind of ideas in the 70's.....

I was not kidding or smoking.....:rofl:rofl:rofl