Bonnet Cable Help

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
Dear Group,
I have an unusual problem with my 2005 FGT. The cable to unlatch the front bonnet has apparently come loose. Neither the remote on the key or the side latch will do anything more than make noise (cable being pulled). My question is how to get the bonnet open so I can reattach the cable? The car is under warranty but will not be moved until at least two good rain storms was away the salt (probably March or April, I live in Iowa). I have a wonderful dealer (owner has a 2006 FGT himself and takes great care of the cars) but I would like to get the bonnet open to clean the front while I cannot drive it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you. This is a great forum and we do love our cars.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I would give the GT Guys a call. PD

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Dumb question, are the doors unlocked?

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
Yes - Doors are unlocked. One can hear the cable moving when one either depresses the key (remote) or uses the lever.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Cable

I would give the GT Guys a call. PD

Thanks Preston,

As far as getting to the cable for the front trunk or bonnet you would have to pull the LF wheel and inner splash shield to gain access. The cable probably fell off of the bracket that is on the fender. Most of the cars have a zip tie on them to stop this from happening. With the splash shield out you can see how this all works. It is actually a push type cable setup too.

Rich

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
Dear Rich,

Thanks for the information. I will try that this weekend.
I appreciate your time and assistance. Thank you very much.

P.S. Just a side note to group. I drove my FGT from Iowa to North Carolina and back last May and got 24 mpg. Pretty amazing. My only complaint is that the pretty girl does not have cruse control. One can get up to felony speeds without realizing it. Great car, though. Very fun to drive.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
FM, the solenoid went bad on mine and I had to replace the entire mechanism; however, while you should pull the inner fender liner as Rich described, it is a BIG pain in the rear. You can take out the screws and holders on the fender liner and, without taking the liner out, get your hand in-between the fender and the liner and re-attach the cable. Easier to do if you have someone helping you to keep them apart. The BIG worry is bending the fender, so be careful. Best to repalce the screws and holders with new, easily purchased at your Ford dealer.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
May I suggest you also review Shadowman's post on fender liners. Makes it much easier, of course you can be like me and call Evan G.

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
Thanks for the help. I think I may just wait until spring when I can get the lady to the Ford dealer. He purchased a hoist for the car. I can only lift one side at a time, and not too far at that. Could be a problem with the liner. Should be much easier on the hoist. Thanks again for all the help. I will try to take some pictures for future reference for others who may have this problem.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That would be helpful.....

I wonder if we should be checking our cable retainers? This sounds like an issue you don't want to have given the hassle factor.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That would be helpful.....

I wonder if we should be checking our cable retainers? This sounds like an issue you don't want to have given the hassle factor.

"An ounce of prevention..."

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
trunk Release

Dear Group,
I have an unusual problem with my 2005 FGT. The cable to unlatch the front bonnet has apparently come loose. Neither the remote on the key or the side latch will do anything more than make noise (cable being pulled). My question is how to get the bonnet open so I can reattach the cable? The car is under warranty but will not be moved until at least two good rain storms was away the salt (probably March or April, I live in Iowa). I have a wonderful dealer (owner has a 2006 FGT himself and takes great care of the cars) but I would like to get the bonnet open to clean the front while I cannot drive it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you. This is a great forum and we do love our cars.

See my thread at http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11904

Also my cable didn't work from new. What the problem there was the cable housing had come out of the plastic piece that mounts into the bracket on the inside of the fender. I took enough plugs out such that I could get behind the liner to get at it. I threaded the cable housing back into the plastic piece and it worked correctly then. The above thread was another issue after a plastic piece broke in the latch itself. If you push down on the bonnet to make sure it is fully closed then have someone hold the button down on the remote and you try pulling up at same time. If you can't hear the electric motor working in the latch when you push the button then there is an electrical issue.

AJK