"Blacking out" Paint, Anodize or Powder Coat?

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
What do people here use to color gas caps, gas cap and trunk levers and wheels black? Powder? Anodizing? Regular urathane paint?

Also Shelby recently had a car with blacked out tail lights, how is THAT done?

Thanks for any information you might provide!

Mike

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
An anodize will fade over time - especially in the sun. I would recommend powder coating or paint.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We do the smoke the lights here IN-HOUSE. Its a service we offer. Many people on the forum have had us do this. You can ask them how they like it. (pa2unia, shadowman, etc). If you would like to get it done, give me a call and I will give you a quote.
Cant wait to see your project!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We do the smoke the lights here IN-HOUSE. Its a service we offer. Many people on the forum have had us do this. You can ask them how they like it. (pa2unia, shadowman, etc). If you would like to get it done, give me a call and I will give you a quote.
Cant wait to see your project!

First class job on mine!!!! Love the look:thumbsup

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Thanks Shelby, I will probably send you the lights but it won't be until the snow starts flying!

I assume that the process is to spray a mixture of black and clear paint?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The blackout spray for darkening lights is all over ebay in spray cans.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

DEFINATLY NOT THE SAME PROCESS!!!!!!! :frown

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Try at your own risk. Price some replacement lights before you paint your own. If you get them too dark, or uneven on color you must start again with new pieces.

Aug 25, 2006

You will regret it.......... it has been around for many many years and it creates a mess

Shelby and his team have it down to a science; awesome work.

Shadowman

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
An anodize will fade over time - especially in the sun. I would recommend powder coating or paint.

I have Dinan Jongbloed Racing custom forged wheels on the Mini S, and the anodized centers have faded. Plus, the car is stored indoors (but driven daily).