Black Center Armrest removal?

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Does the center armrest pop out? How does it come off? I don't want to mess around and damage it. Anyone know how to safely remove it so that I can put it back later?:confused

Thanks!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The Shadow(man) Knows.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Its double-sided taped on.
If you apply the right amount of pressure it should come off without harm.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Arm rest removal

The arm rest is held in with 4 metal spring clips that press into the magnesium center tunnel.

These spring clips are on a molded plastic carrier that is glued to the Azdel (lofted fiberglass) substrait that is wraped with black leather.

To remove it properly, without damage, you'd want to remove the tunnel from the car, or at least loosen it up and raise the back to get access to the spring clips.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kip, of course, is absolutely right. Not to spoil the surprise, but when you get it off, there's simply a solid flat piece of magnesium tunnel underneath it. Just 4 ~3/4" slits for the clips to go through. It is easy enough to remove once the entire console is removed from the car.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Thanks guys...It is always nice to know what is holding these things on before hand. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Kip is right. Not sure if I had a brain fart for a moment or what as we have removed this part several times (think I had door panel rings on my mind for some reason) And yes, there is nothing but a flat piece of metal under the arm rest.