Best way to avoid stone Chips on Cobra doglegs

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I have an aluminum Cobra with top quality show paint. It was painted a few years back and still looks outstanding. I have owned thousands of cars, looked at thousands more and this is unquestionably one of the best paintjobs I have ever seen. Problem is, I drive my cars. No offense EP, but that is what they are for. I do not drive it a lot as I prefer amenities like in the GT but when the mood strikes me I drive it and I will continue to do so. The issue is I am getting stonechips on the doglegs behind the door at the front of the rear quarters...in front of the rear tires down very low. I guess the front tires are throwing tiny gravel pecks back. I do not track or race the car but do drive it at 70-80 on the freeway occasionally. I think it is combined with speed as I don't think 30mph should be an issue but it might be. I don't want to use blue tape as a temp cure, nor have to change out clear bra every so often. Is there a clear type film that won't dry out over a few years and horribly stick to my paint. I want the best of both worlds. Not have to change it out and when I do, it will come off without a problem or paint issue.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Problem is, I drive my cars. No offense EP, but that is what they are for.

Oh, none taken...of course.

grumble...mutter...utter hexes...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip protection.

The ugliest Chip is the big one in the drivers seat!!!!

Aug 25, 2006
I have an aluminum Cobra with top quality show paint. It was painted a few years back and still looks outstanding. I have owned thousands of cars, looked at thousands more and this is unquestionably one of the best paintjobs I have ever seen. Problem is, I drive my cars. No offense EP, but that is what they are for. I do not drive it a lot as I prefer amenities like in the GT but when the mood strikes me I drive it and I will continue to do so. The issue is I am getting stonechips on the doglegs behind the door at the front of the rear quarters...in front of the rear tires down very low. I guess the front tires are throwing tiny gravel pecks back. I do not track or race the car but do drive it at 70-80 on the freeway occasionally. I think it is combined with speed as I don't think 30mph should be an issue but it might be. I don't want to use blue tape as a temp cure, nor have to change out clear bra every so often. Is there a clear type film that won't dry out over a few years and horribly stick to my paint. I want the best of both worlds. Not have to change it out and when I do, it will come off without a problem or paint issue.

You gal looks nice.

Now as for the ability to remove the film several years down the road with no issues; IMO you will be fine however I say this based on the following; when the time comes to remove it "steam" it off and the risk of secondary damage is nill.

Takes care

Shadowman

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
The ugliest Chip is the big one in the drivers seat!!!!

Ooops....Did I say "stoned" Chips.......I meant stone chips. Sorry for the confusion.:rofl

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
To solve that problem on my Cobra, I had an upholsterer make me some snap on "bras' for each rear fender. I installed the pins you use for old tonneau covers or rag tops, one at top, and one at bottom, and both pins are not visible when looking at the car, and put velcro inside the front lip of the rear fender and have never had a ding. For car shows, I pop them off, and then put them back on when I want to drive the car. If you are interested, I can take pics and send them to you.

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
Hey Chris, If your car doesn't have them already, you need to put foam in all the wheel wells (dents can come from the tires throwing rocks from the inside). These came in sheets for me to install when I bought my car. Also, here's a pic of the rear fender covers I made for my car.
David

Attachments

• 291_side_2.jpg
    291_side_2.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Drive like EP, either not at all, or very slowly in the driveway. :lol

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Hey Chris, If your car doesn't have them already, you need to put foam in all the wheel wells (dents can come from the tires throwing rocks from the inside). These came in sheets for me to install when I bought my car. Also, here's a pic of the rear fender covers I made for my car.
David

You can hear the little pebbles hittting on the aluminum underbody. David....email or PM me more info about the foam. Thanks!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
If you guys do not go to the Texas Mile the last weekend in March ya'll need to bring those cobra's down to San Marcos for the yearly Texas Cobra Club meeting. We had close to a 100 last year! The picture in front of the tree is just one of my favorites.

Attachments

• Cobragarage.jpg
    Cobragarage.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF5972.jpg
    DSCF5972.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 102