Best Superbowl Commercial - Paul Harvey and Dodge Ram

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was at the local hangout for the game with everyone doing a pot luck.

My usual vote always had to go to the Budweiser Clydesdales. But this year, the winner is this one

[video=youtube;AMpZ0TGjbWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AMpZ0TGjbWE[/video]

First, I grew up on a small farm. We had 25-30 dairy cows and sold milk. My grandfather and grandmother never head a real vacation. I joke about having to "go home to milk the cows" but it was real.

Second that choked me up was I met Mr. Harvey at least 4 times when I was in high school and college. He was a remarkable speaker.

Besides the narrative, the photography is world class.

I hope this one comes out as the winner this year. It's just great for so many reasons.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
This was hands down the most emotional(heart tugging) commercial. The Go Daddy Kiss had the most impact on the party I was at.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This was hands down the most emotional(heart tugging) commercial. The Go Daddy Kiss had the most impact on the party I was at.

The GoDaddy kiss gives us nerds a bad name :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Best Superbowl Commercial - Paul Harvey and Dodge Ram

It's just great for so many reasons.

:agree: ...and smart, too. Farmers buy a lot of trucks.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"my grandfather and grandmother never head a real vacation..."

Well said Tony. Neither did mine. Definitely a home run ad.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
:agree: ...and smart, too. Farmers buy a lot of trucks.

But by a wide margin, Fords.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That was really the only good ad. It was a little too long but it was still definitely the only one that made me think that it was a justifiable expense based on the dollars Super Bowl ad time runs.

The rest sucked. The GoDaddy ad was disgusting. One of my all-time great pet peeves is getting high quality audio of the sounds being made by other people's slurping mouths. It reminded me of those nasty ass Carl's Jr. ads with the "don't bother me, I'm eating" tagline (or whatever it was). That last thing I want to hear if you're trying to make me hungry is the disgusting sounds made by someone else slopping around food in their mouth. Ditto for the Go Daddy ad. I don't care if it was Bar Rafaeli making out with Gisele Bunchen, unless I'm somehow involved in there, keep the audio to yourself. That's enough to make me never use GoDaddy again.

Super Bowl ads have become pretty pointless. The same 4-5 concepts over and over and over and over just marginally tweaked. Hot chicks, babies, animals with personalities, horses, slapstick and emotional heartstrings. Oh, and movie trailers.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
p.s, I like how people are referring to the "nerdy fat kid" in the GoDaddy ad. That guy is 34! :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
And, according to his interview, he now has 'choices' for Valentine's Day this year.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I too LOVED the Paul Harvey/Dodge ad. However, I would have thought it would have closed with, "Paul Harvey............................... Good day"

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Paul Harvey's moment was definitely my favorite. I grew up in rural Iowa and fondly remember listening to Paul Harvey on the school bus. What a voice he had!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
You guys didn't like the Taco Bell senior citizen commercial?

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KvxZcULxfKw

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Did you know that Pockets was in that video? :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I found it disgustingly disrespectful at best. It mocked seniors as opposed to, say, making the ad in a way such that it laughed with them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Did you know that Pockets was in that video? :lol

'Not "qualified" age-wise for at least 15 years yet - at a minimum.