Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i actually had some kid tell me one time that he beat a viper with his "non-supercharged" mini cooper. he even had these little kill stickers on the side of his car that were in the shape of vipers, vettes, etc. funny thing he never asked me to race. anyway, mini cooper owners have some serious short man complex goin on, i guess it goes with the car. :lol

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
centerpunch said:
I'll start:

He said, "Yeah, and that thing is FAST! I had it up to 165 and had to shut it down, it's just too small to be safe at that speed."

That "165" ended our conversation.

I think he meant KPH also which would be a tad over 100 MPH. Probably that is a scary speed in that little cracker box. :cheers

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
138mph is the top speed of a Cooper S - so perhaps a puff on the crack pipe gave him an extra 27mph? :willy

As a side note, I've driven a John Cooper S Works Mini and while it's not super-car fast, it is a lot of fun to drive under 100mph on twisty roads.

The caveat would be that I just don't 'get' the Mini when it's placed in North America - it's designed for European tight roads and towns. On large North American roads and Freeways, it's just not in its element :bored

My favourite is when kids in Ford Fiestas used to 'race' me in my 996 Turbo... :bs

People in England are less likely to talk BS to you when it comes to car performance but that doesn't stop the punk-kids wanting to try it on when you're on-road and driving. I let them win (most of the time :wink ), after all, who cares?

Last edited:

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Great shot. I can't help but notice how much higher the top of your helmet is than the roll bar. You're a pretty brave soul or was it youthful exhuberance (i.e.perceived immortality)? :banana

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
centerpunch said:
Nomis-

While we certainly have a lot of "large North American roads and freeways," we also have thousands and thousands of miles of roads that are just as twisty as yours.

And over the years, I've had several cool little cars for just such fun, including a '72 Elan Sprint (slightly hopped up to 140hp), a Elise Sport 190 (illegal for the street but driven there anyway), and a couple of France's amazing mid-engined Renault Turbo 2's.

-Paul

Paul,

I spent 20-years in Canada - so I know where you're coming from :thumbsup - but I still feel very small (non-track biased cars) make more sense in Europe, where space is at a premium, than in N.A.

I speak to a lot of Canadian friends who view the the Mini and Smart 2/4 as novelties, rather than real cars... not a bad thing per say, just different opinions based on space imho.

The Elan is an amazing car, as is the current Elise - esp on the performance for value stake

Now - back on topic... :wink

I did have a fellow in a gas station ask me if the M5 had a 2-litre engine yesterday. The exact quote was, "I've heard of the M3 but not the M5... is it new?" Yes, I replied, although the previous incarnations have been around for more than 10-years. "Oh" he said, "Does it have a 2-litre engine?"

He was quite serious... and I wanted to say, "yes a 2-litre engine that produces 528BHP..." :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I recall many years ago sitting at some traffic lights in my BMW 325i (it was a nice car in it's day - mid 80's from memory) and alongside me were some young lads in a Ford Anglia (did you have this model in the US? see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/1967.ford.anglia.arp.750pix.jpg ).

They were busy revving their engine and me and my girlfriend silently smirked at the technical knock-out we were about to show them.... To my complete suprise they shot off and we couldn't catch them! From the sound they made these lads had clearly tinkered with the engine...

Center - this is my little fun car, equally exposed as the Lotus - perhaps more so.... shot at Goodwood in December so nice and cold too (note grim expression on face!)

Attachments

• NEIL_00015 copy3.jpg
    NEIL_00015 copy3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
centerpunch said:
Gorgeous Aston Martin!

...almost makes up for the driver :biggrin :wink

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I consider that my best angle!!

Fortunately I am not wearing the period leather crash helmet (with flaps) - I look rather similar to Toad of Toad Hall in that outfit.... :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I best remember Paul McCartney's Anglia as it toured the US on the show circuit. Several were used as drag race funny cars here, too. Haven't seen one in many years. Always reminded me of the 1930's US Fords.