Best Clubs ?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
So what would be the best club to join for annual meets, track events, car shows etc ?

Are GT's welcome at the SAAC ?

Any good S FL chapters ?

Thanks

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ummm, you are already a member of the best "GT CLUB" and really the ONLY that I am aware of.
There is a national GT RALLY put on every year by this forum and DAVE, (user DBK, the owner of this board). There are also many different smaller gatherings across the country that different members of this forum put together. They dont really break this forum up into groups like some of the other boards. Only 1 car we are talking about here that was only made for 2 years, so no need for a bunch of different mini groups. There are plenty of get togethers across the country. Stick around and you will see them.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Ummm, you are already a member of the best "GT CLUB" and really the ONLY that I am aware of.
There is a national GT RALLY put on every year by this forum and DAVE, (user DBK, the owner of this board). There are also many different smaller gatherings across the country that different members of this forum put together. They dont really break this forum up into groups like some of the other boards. Only 1 car we are talking about here that was only made for 2 years, so no need for a bunch of different mini groups. There are plenty of get togethers across the country. Stick around and you will see them.

What he said.. :thumbsup .. The national rally is a Must do Event ! Stick with me William I will show you the ropes.. :biggrin Bring the car by when you get it.

This is the best way to stay informed on track day events : http://www.trackweekend.com/

Car shows and cruise nights : http://www.crusinsouthflorida.com/Events.htm

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL

H

HHGT

Spearmint Rhino used to be a good club. I have not been there since Steve A left the State and he took all the sheep with him :biggrin

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Tootsies in Miami will beat the Rhino any day :biggrin

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Ford GTs are ABSOLUTELY welcome at SAAC events! Our national Conventions are usually run at a race track, with time for running Open Track at speed, or slower Parade Laps if you don't care to push the envelope. We have a swap meet with new and used parts, and two car shows - a Concours show for those that don't drive their cars, and a Popular Vote show for those who drive or modify their cars. We typically have a half-dozen or so GTs, and sometimes that many original GT40s. Our SAAC 37 event will be at Watkins Glen this year, and topped off on Sunday with an SVRA vintage race. The dates are June 7-9; registration is not open yet, but anyone thnking about going should go ahead with hotel reservations, as accomodations near the track fill up fast.

There is no active SAAC Region in Florida with meetings or a newsletter (we have a VERY active local group in Michigan - the Motor City Region [SAAC-MCR] that I founded in 1975). We have Open Track events, cars shows, cruises, and get-togethers year-round. Sample recent SAAC-MCR newsletter: http://www.saac-mcr.com/mag/2012/201201.pdf
Unfortunately, we can't do much car stuff in Winter - that's why I'm spending my Winters in Florida. :rofl

Of course, there is no better place, or better guys and gals to hang with, than those right here on the Ford GT Forum. The people who know the most about the Ford GT are all here, and always willing to help a fellow GT owner. In between yearly GT Rallies, you can hone your driving skills (or your polishing routine) at a variety of SAAC National or Regional events. You will definately be welcomed.

Oh, and send me a nice picture and detailed info on your car for the SAAC GT Registry :thumbsup

Enjoy that new car!

regards,

Jeff

SAAC_Card.JPG

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Blue Fox or Chicago Club in Tijuana (circa 1962)

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ford GTs are ABSOLUTELY welcome at SAAC events! Our national Conventions are usually run at a race track, with time for running Open Track at speed, or slower Parade Laps if you don't care to push the envelope. We have a swap meet with new and used parts, and two car shows - a Concours show for those that don't drive their cars, and a Popular Vote show for those who drive or modify their cars. We typically have a half-dozen or so GTs, and sometimes that many original GT40s. Our SAAC 37 event will be at Watkins Glen this year, and topped off on Sunday with an SVRA vintage race. The dates are June 7-9; registration is not open yet, but anyone thnking about going should go ahead with hotel reservations, as accomodations near the track fill up fast.

There is no active SAAC Region in Florida with meetings or a newsletter (we have a VERY active local group in Michigan - the Motor City Region [SAAC-MCR] that I founded in 1975). We have Open Track events, cars shows, cruises, and get-togethers year-round. Sample recent SAAC-MCR newsletter: http://www.saac-mcr.com/mag/2012/201201.pdf
Unfortunately, we can't do much car stuff in Winter - that's why I'm spending my Winters in Florida. :rofl

Of course, there is no better place, or better guys and gals to hang with, than those right here on the Ford GT Forum. The people who know the most about the Ford GT are all here, and always willing to help a fellow GT owner. In between yearly GT Rallies, you can hone your driving skills (or your polishing routine) at a variety of SAAC National or Regional events. You will definately be welcomed.

Oh, and send me a nice picture and detailed info on your car for the SAAC GT Registry :thumbsup

Enjoy that new car!

regards,

Jeff

View attachment 23588
Jeff,
Is they're a track event as part of the week end?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Ford GTs are ABSOLUTELY welcome at SAAC events!

The dates are June 7-9; registration is not open yet, but anyone thnking about going should go ahead with hotel reservations, as accomodations near the track fill up fast.

I love the Glen, way more fun that FL tracks, I may have to be there w my new GT. Are non Shelby's welcome ? Like Ferraris, Vettes, GT1 cars etc ?

TX GT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
Is there going to be a national GT Rally in 2012?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Is there going to be a national GT Rally in 2012?
Yes. There is one every year

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
The schedule for SAAC 37 has not yet been finalized, but, based upon activities at past SAAC National Conventions (36 of them in 36 years - I've been to every single one) a lot like this:

Thursday, June 7th is the first day of the event, so most people will be checking in to their hotels on Wednesday, so they can get a good night's rest before a ful day of racing activity.
SAAC National track events are for Ford powered cars ONLY - no Brand-X or F cars on the track. The car shows will have classes for Ford powered cars ONLY.
You do not have to be a member of SAAC to attend the event. Ticket entry is normally about $25/person per day. SAAC members usually get an opportunity to pre-register online at a discount.
There will be a parts swapmeet and Open Track time available on Thursday and Friday. The swapmeet includes the big guys with tractor trailer rigs, and the little guys bringing those precious greasy parts from their garages.
The Open Track time is typically sold in half-day sessions, normally around $150-$200 for a half-day session. The cars are classed by driver experience and car potential. The sessions are broken down into 20 minute segments, with similar cars running together. You can probably expect to get 3 or 4 sessions in a half day segment (barring mishaps).
SAAC will have its own Vintage race on Friday afternoon. These will be Shelbys, Cobras, replica Shelbys and Cobras, and vintage Boss 302 Mustangs that are race prepared, and driven by drivers with competition licenses. Real wheel-to-wheel stuff, but with a great deal of respect for the value of the equipment.
At lunch time on Thursday and Friday, there will be Parade Laps where you can take a passenger with you for a ride around the famous Watkins Glen course. They usually charge 10 bucks for parade laps, depending on traffic, you may get 2 or 3 laps of the course in a lunch session, at controlled speed (no helmets, no passing).
I expect some of the SVRA guys wil be practicing at some point on Thursday and Friday, then on Saturday, the track is theirs all day for practice.
On Saturday, SAAC will have two car shows - a Concours for vintage Shelby, Cobra, GT40, and BOSS cars only, and a Popular Vote show for new and old Shelbys, Cobras, Mustangs, Shelby and Cobra replicas, Ford GTs, and other Ford powered vehicles.
SAAC usually has a banquet on Saturday night with guest speakers from Ford and Shelby American. Some years it's a sit-down at a local banquet center, some years it's a barbecue at the track.
Sunday the SVRA will run their "Historic Enduro 200" - many of the SAAC members will stick around for that.
The smell of racing fuel and burnt rubber will be permeating the air, and you will almost certainly have a great time. Hope to see a bunch of you guys there.

Jeff

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Do they need any instructors?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Ron -

Probably not - we don't usually have any instructor sessions at a SAAC National. Many of our Regional groups (like SAAC-MCR) have track events with sessions for driver w/instructor.

Jeff