Best caliper color for White w/ Blue GT?

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
Hey all, I just picked up the Brembo GT front brake kit (Red) and now need to decide what to do with my rear calipers (Grey).

I could paint the rears Red to match...but every White/Blue GT seems to have red calipers.

Also considering blue calipers with white Brembo decals. I'm thinking the inverse of the car color might look cool.

Anyone seen other color combos for a white/blue GT that looks good?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Color choice might depend on which wheels you'll end up with.

Ford Blue Oval Blue would look nice on a white/blue GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ford Blue Oval Blue would look nice on a white/blue GT.

+1

Blue is the ONLY way to go on a blue/white. :thumbsup

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
Wow...I guess we all know what WA state GT owners do on a Friday evening :)

Any opinions on white calipers with blue "Brembo" font for a white/blue car?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
blue with white lettering

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
Red

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Red

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
yellow with dark blue letters.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
red with white lettering. then white letters on the tires. go retro!!!

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
I tried getting the white letters on the tires look. Bought the paint from http://www.rangerpaint.com/ and spent countless hours cleaning the tires and hand painting the letters. Paint lasted less than 100 miles before they literally spun off the wheels. Sigh...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I wish I had a shot of the full car but these look pretty nice.

Otherwise I would just stay Grey. I think the red look pretty sporty though. The grey does not look as dusty after a drive IMO.

If you are using the stock wheels, let us know if they have proper clearance.

Attachments

• G6061.jpg
    G6061.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 135

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I tried getting the white letters on the tires look. Bought the paint from http://www.rangerpaint.com/ and spent countless hours cleaning the tires and hand painting the letters. Paint lasted less than 100 miles before they literally spun off the wheels. Sigh...

Sorry dude but you got the wrong paint. If you google tire paint / iceland/ mercedes pontoon. You should find it .... it is a rubberized paint that works great. You have to make sure that ALL of the silicone a detailer put on the tires is off. Its the best on virgin tires ... I have over 3000 miles on mine without an issue. I have touched them up a bit from time to time but that was more due to my cleaning of the tires and being anal than anything else.

That is truly the only tire paint that I have found that actually works.

but I feel your pain ... I didn't get all the silicone off a tire once and driving down the highway I had perfect little letters flying past my head. :bored:bored:lol:lol

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
It took 41 years to match quote #2 from a famous Trans Am Racer.

"You know your car is fast enough when you can spin the white letters right off the car. "
Juan Cooldude 2008

"You know you have enough power when you can make two black lines from the apex of one turn to the apex of the next"
Mark Donahue 1967

That look really requires maintenace and careful application of any tire dressing. Any oily tire dressing that will sling makes matters worse. I re-did the letters on some vintage race tires and had good luck with the duplicolor yellow pen product.

Got this tip from a Vintage Club Racer:
I washed the tires with Bleech white to get the deep tire dressing out. Careful around the wheels though, keep em wet. Don't do this in the sun or get it on the paint. You will see the bleech white pulling a brown film off the tire. They say that is the embeded tire dressing. The tire feels kind of dry after , compared to acetone or laq thinner. The first coat goes on more even compared to my attempts using laq thinner.

Then I did the pain staking job of lettering them. I let them dry for a couple days and even mounted them with no issues. Then used the Meguiars tire gel stuff. It will dry after a few hours. So far it has held up, but only about 100 track miles and one wash. Bought some white to try on the GT, but have not had time. I think it looks great. Stunts showed this look off a year ago and it still looks cool.

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
I used rubbing alcohol to clean the letters/tires before painting. That stuff usually removes pretty much everything. I'll try again with the "iceland" paint when my blurred vision and arthiritis goes away.

As for the fit of the Brembo GT brake kit, I was told that the kit was developed to work with the optional forged BBS wheels and that the 15" rotors and the depth required for the calipers will fit in that 18" wheel. We shall see.

That blue caliper with white letters looks pretty slick. Me thinks that might be my new color. Calipers coming off on Tuesday...I'll post pics after the makeover.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Like Jeff mentioned, it depends on what wheels you will have. I had black calipers on my White/Blue, and it looked great with my wheels.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I just love the white lettering

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I used rubbing alcohol to clean the letters/tires before painting. That stuff usually removes pretty much everything. I'll try again with the "iceland" paint when my blurred vision and arthiritis goes away.

As for the fit of the Brembo GT brake kit, I was told that the kit was developed to work with the optional forged BBS wheels and that the 15" rotors and the depth required for the calipers will fit in that 18" wheel. We shall see.

That blue caliper with white letters looks pretty slick. Me thinks that might be my new color. Calipers coming off on Tuesday...I'll post pics after the makeover.

I saw those calipers on a Newer Porsche the other day. They are pretty big with a curve to them , really fills the area looks wise.
a very nice piece indeed. :cheers

Try some Westleys Bleech White on a tire from your daily driver and you will see what I mean by pulling out the old dressing. This stuff is like the exfoiliating stuff the wife uses. It will clean the pores out of the rubber. The tire when re-dressed will look a deeper black. The stuff in the dressing eventually gives you brown walls, at least that is what they say.

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
As expected, I'm having some fit issues with the Brembo GT brake kit :frown

Still working on resolving that...but in the meantime, here are the stock calipers painted blue...

L10105282.jpg

L10105272.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
see you did the parking brake as well,... looks good.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
The calipers look GREAT! I hope that you get the fitment resolved quickly. is the fit issue sides (width) or tops (height)?