BendPak Lift - Hydraulic Oil Foaming

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I've had my BendPak HD-9 for two years. Every time I lower it to the floor from more than about halfway up, hydraulic oil foams out the reservoir tank cap.

At first I thought it was over-filled, but now the oil is below the minimum level and it still foams out. Probably an ounce or two each time.

Anyone else experience this? Problem or just something I have to live with?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
What does BendPak say?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Can you see anyplace where hyd oil is leaking/puddling/weeping/whatever? If 'oil can escape (bad seal? pinhole in hose?), air can get back in...hence the foam?

If not, you might try changing the hyd fluid. 'Fluid can get contaminated due to this-and-that (water condensation, et al), and sometimes that results in foaming.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
FENZO, BendPak hasn't said, yet, but they are not overdue.

EP, Good ideas. Yes, there's a tiny tiny leak at one of the pistons. I'm talking a drop over months. The hyd oil was put in by the installer. Maybe it was contaminated from the get go.

Is hydraulic oil not supposed to foam?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is hydraulic oil not supposed to foam?

Not as far as I know...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Condensation ?

I don't have that problem with my BendPak lift, but I have noticed that there is a slight seep past the reservoir cap - not enough to be a drip, just a mist on the side of the reservoir below the cap. Have you actually looked into the reservoir to see what the fluid looks like when it is leaking? Is it milky (a sign of water contamination)? Try capturing some in a pan and letting it "defoam" to see what it looks like ... If there's water in it, it seems that it must have been there since it was installed (I assume it doesn't rain in your garage).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like water somewhere.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I would eliminate any culprit by replacing the oil with clean 10WT Hydro oil or Dexron III automatic tranny oil.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Perhaps someone pissed in your reservoir? Made Amy mad lately?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Mine does not foam. My bet is on water in the oil for some reason. Go to Grainger and get 5 gallons of hydraulic oil and change it. You will probably see some brown watery stuff in what you drain out. My garage is AC'd so maybe that keeps the moisture out.