Belly Pans - Anyone Just Leave 'Em Off?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I know the belly pans facilitate aerodynamic stability by reducing turbulence and increasing downforce, but at what speed does it really make a difference. Sure would make servicing the engine easier.

Judson

GT Owner
Sep 20, 2006
The pan serves another important purpose. It keep the engine area clean. With out it you have a vacum pulling dirt and water into that area. One day when you go to sell a dirt stained engine compartment will be a big negitive.

JUdson

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
I find around 120 to 130 you can feel the car huncker down and say let's go

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I find around 120 to 130 you can feel the car huncker down and say let's go
With the belly pans on I presume?

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
yep I would never take them off if your foot is a little heavy like mine.

Aug 25, 2006
I know the belly pans facilitate aerodynamic stability by reducing turbulence and increasing downforce, but at what speed does it really make a difference. Sure would make servicing the engine easier.

Joe you kill me; by all means leave the belly pans in place. There is no gray area in the response to your question.

I hope that you and the family are doing "stellar"

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I remember right, Dr. Robert Harms was going to leave his off. There are some old posts on this topic. Doc, any answers?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I was taking a friend out for a ride ,with another in a porsche turbo behind us .My buddy in the turbo said at about 100+ what ever sand was on the road was being sucked up and thrown out the venturi tunnels right on to his front end ,I guess they work!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, and you should watch the nice little tornados in the back when it's raining. Silverbullitt, Spirit, DBTGT and I all followed each other in several rainstorms on the way to Dearborn for the rally. Quite interesting to watch the venturi effect.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Sure would make servicing the engine easier.

probably aid in cooling as well.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Joe you kill me; by all means leave the belly pans in place. There is no gray area in the response to your question. I hope that you and the family are doing "stellar"

Takes care .... Shadowman
OK, I'll leave well enough alone. I just thought perhaps it was common knowledge to leave the belly pans off and I just missed the dialogue.

I hope all is well with you. I must admit life has gotten a little boring since the Big Mac problem has been solved.

joe

Aug 25, 2006
OK, I'll leave well enough alone. I just thought perhaps it was common knowledge to leave the belly pans off and I just missed the dialogue.

I hope all is well with you. I must admit life has gotten a little boring since the Big Mac problem has been solved.

joe

I am glad that all is fine

Huuum time for a new project LOL

or maybe not......... BTW ..... has your Whipple been ordered?

Your friend

Shadowman

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

joe

Are you sure it was the Big Mac problem being solved, and not the Eagles crashing and burning that caused your recent boredom? :wink Sorry...couldn't resist...:lol

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Are you sure it was the Big Mac problem being solved, and not the Eagles crashing and burning that caused your recent boredom? :wink Sorry...couldn't resist...:lol
The Iggles didn't lose, the officials (bums that they are) simply had an agenda to advance the Saints to the next round ..... and so it was! Very unfortunate; everyone here was pulling for Garcia to take it all the way! At least Dallas, along with that headcase Terrible Owens, went down first.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
... At least Dallas, along with that headcase Terrible Owens, went down first.

Yeah, I was happy to see that too.:cheers

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yes, and you should watch the nice little tornados in the back when it's raining. Silverbullitt, Spirit, DBTGT and I all followed each other in several rainstorms on the way to Dearborn for the rally. Quite interesting to watch the venturi effect.

Also, Dr. Pickle, very interesting how the Tungsten GTs disappear in the rain in front of the vortex!:eek