Battery Woes...

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I'm posting in this section since it seems to garner more attention. The Mods can move it to tech if they see fit.

I posted a few weeks ago that my battery had died, and I thought it was due to the car sitting for a couple of weeks while I had stuff stacked around it temporarily. At the time I thought it was a bit strange, since I usually drive the car at least a couple of times a week and I didn't think the battery would die in just a few weeks of stagnation.

However since I recharged it, the last few times I've driven it it seemed a little sluggish, and then this morning, click! click! click! click! click!

When it's running the gauge reads 14, and that does seem high, but now I'm wondering if the battery is just bad, or if the alternator is bad, or what.

I'm going to take it to the dealer and have it checked out, just wondering what others experiences are. Is the battery under warranty? Pro rated? I hate to buy a new battery since the car is only 22 months old and only has 4,500 miles. Any input would be appreciated!

So there, MarkO! Maybe my battery didn't die from lack of use! :lol

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
BigsGT the battery should be covered under warranty. There have been some problems with the batteries in the GT. I myself replaced a battery on a brand new car with only 24 miles on it. The battery was toast. It would not hold a charge even when hooked up to the battery tender for a couple of weeks. The dealer replaced the battery no problem and no charge.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Bigs being a gel battery you can sometimes recharge them but sometimes they go bye bye on you...I have had one in the viper do that..did you charge it with a gel charger? if not done right they won't ever hold a charge for long again.

Matt

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I don't think gel batteries like sand and since you live in a sandbox I'm suprised it lasted this long.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I have changed alot of batteries also, in low milage cars. Its not that unusual. Make sure the dealer tests the alternator just to be safe. The battery warnety is 3/36.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Several cars were found to have loose battery connections- probably disconnected at the dealer, then just shoved into position and never tightened.

However, the type of battery in the cars has a very low tolerance to high-amp chargers such as those used at dealers, so it's also possible the battery was damaged before delivery and as such will have a much-shortened life.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There's a 99% probability that you simply have a bad battery. If you can get the dealer to replace it, that's great, otherwise just do it yourself as it is not that expensive.

If the car will routinely sit for periods of two weeks or more, you should put it on a Float charger. A good Float charger will maintain your battery at a full charge level so it is always ready to use. The Float chargers will claim that they will easily pay for themselves in adding longevity to your battery. My experience is that this claim is very true.

The charger that comes with the GT will work fine for this purpose - although some find it inconvenient to drape it into the vehicle and to the cigarette lighter. On my website, you will find a Float charger solution that has been adapted to fit the GT. With this system, the is a charge plug that is mounted in a hidden but reachable loaction in the nose of the car - near the tow hook. You can simply plug in the charger when you park and it stays out of the way even when the car is covered.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
My experience with the Optima over the years is that they do not like to sit. They will sit longer than most, but harder to revive. 10amp for a short period or lower trickle 2amp more constant seams to be OK. But a fast charger is not advised. If you can hear the battery gassing when being charged ( after and hour or so) the amps may be too high. IMO

The lead is wrapped in a circle with an absorbent material in between. The material is soaked in acid. These have way less acid than a normal battery. When you cook them too long or too high a temp they dry up and die. More amps on the charger is like higher temp in an oven for these.

But a battery tender from new seams to be the trick. Mine finally went dead one day. I had been putting off getting the cooltech float charger. I ordered one the same day. No more procrastination for me.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
everyone should also check their ground connections
this has been a source of problems for many...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Sounds like a defective GT. You should have the car extensively tested. I have experience in this sort of testing. You can send the car over to me, and I will test it for you, free of charge. Hell, after my many months of testing, if you are not satisfied with the results, I will pay for your new battery. :biggrin

M

Mark O

the car is only 22 months old and only has 4,500 miles.

So there, MarkO! Maybe my battery didn't die from lack of use! :lol

In 2007, I put on 3,100 miles in 8 months. Now, who's not driving their car enough? :wink

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
everyone should also check their ground connections
this has been a source of problems for many...

+1

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Just a thought, if you have another car available try switching batteries. If the GT battery works O.K. in your other car look for a charging or ground problem.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Wow great responses! This forum truely is awesome! Gonna check the connections right away. I'll report back.

Congrats MarkO! No more sh*t from me!

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I was able to tighten both connectors significantly although the battery was still a clickin'. It's charged now and I'll drive it tomorrow and see if it will hold a charge. If not warranty here I come!

Thanks again for the great responses! :thumbsup

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
My yellow car was like that from day one as well... charged it with the proper charger and no problems since...

we need to take the gals out on the town :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sounds like a defective GT. You should have the car extensively tested. I have experience in this sort of testing. You can send the car over to me, and I will test it for you, free of charge. Hell, after my many months of testing, if you are not satisfied with the results, I will pay for your new battery. :biggrin

Roc, I just marvel at how you're so willing to sacrifice more & more of your time to help fellow GT owners. 'Truely commendable, sir. :thumbsup

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
UPDATE:

The battery is toast. Won't hold a charge. I'm going by the dealership today so they can get another ordered. Kind of a pisser but I guess this kind of thing happens occasionally.

I had a friend in town from Canada and we were going to take it out for run, and then click! click! click! click! :frown

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Can Bigs and Peak make it all trhe way across Midland in 1 minute? Is there a loop there yet so you don't have to constantly stop and turn around?

Have the cars been to Odessa yet? I have lived in the area twice. Once when I was a kid and after college. I still have dust in my ears and elseware.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Chris, This place has awesome roads (including loops) although lately they are getting a bit more crowded. Still nothing like your area or the big metro areas. Since 98 or so they've counted Midland/Odessa as a single MSA, so we've gotten many more stores, restaurants etc. The downside of $100 oil however, is more friggin people! :mad

Once as a kid and once after college? Must've been in the horse and buggy daze! :biggrin