Battery Tender

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
How can I tell if my Battery Tender is working? No light comes on when it is plugged in the wall on the unit or is it dead and a light is supposed to come on. Thanks

Aug 25, 2006
This is IMO a problem; some say that they confirm by feeling that it is warm..... akin to a crap shot.

I suggest purchasing the true Battery Tender Junior which has a go/no go light on it. I use them throughout my facility

If you are not sure of the exact model etc. then you should consider purchasing one from Kendal aka CoolTech as he has taken them and created a Ford specific wiring harness that makes integration easy.

Takes care

Shadowman

H

HHGT

This is IMO a problem; some say that they confirm by feeling that it is warm..... akin to a crap shot.

I suggest purchasing the true Battery Tender Junior which has a go/no go light on it. I use them throughout my facility

If you are not sure of the exact model etc. then you should consider purchasing one from Kendal aka CoolTech as he has taken them and created a Ford specific wiring harness that makes integration easy.

Takes care

Shadowman

Kendal told me to put the (+ & -) simultaneously on my tongue. If I feel a little tingle, then they're working.

I wouldn't suggest doing it wit a 30Amp charger though...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kendal told me to put the (+ & -) simultaneously on my tongue. If I feel a little tingle, then they're working.

I wouldn't suggest doing it wit a 30Amp charger though...

It wouldn't make any difference, since with a nominal 12v the resistance of the tongue will limit the current and the power disapated will be similar. Read up on Ohms law and put a Ohm meter across your tongue to get a good est. on the potential current flow.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

It wouldn't make any difference, since with a nominal 12v the resistance of the tongue will limit the current and the power disapated will be similar. Read up on Ohms law and put a Ohm meter across your tongue to get a good est. on the potential current flow.

Okay smarty pants, why the hell does a 9V battery wreak havoc on a tongue then?

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Kendal sells the Battery Tender Junior.

On the top of the brick/power pak that plugs into the wall gives you the only 4 options for the one and only light indicator.

1. Be certain the wall outlet is working and getting power.
2. When you initially plug the unit in, you will get a flashing red.
3. Connect the quick disconnect or the alligator clips to the battery, should get a solid RED.
4. 80% charged = flashing green
5. 100% charged = solid green.

Battery Tender website:
http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html
PDF instructions/manual

Good Luck.

I personally use the Battery Tender plus. I own many.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Okay smarty pants, why the hell does a 9V battery wreak havoc on a tongue then?

I doesn't wreak havoc, just creates a little tingle. Nerves transmit information electrically and having current passing through your tongue excites some of the neurons. I have felt 120V A/C on the tips of my fingers, just tingled as well. Note a dry finger has much more resistance than a wet tongue with many dissolved salts and other conductive fluids. In most cases you will only die from an electrical shock if sufficient current passed through your heart, or brain. Of course massive amounts of current anywhere can kill you due to the extreme tissue damage from the heat generated.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/neuron.htm

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
An evoked potential along a nerve is transmitted by the exchange of sodium and potassium ions along the nerve and nerve sheath (Schwann cell). It only runs so far to a "node of Ranvier," a gap where acetycholine is released and the potential, if strong enough, will jump the gap and continue along the nerve fiber or to other fibers. Cholinesterase acts to limit the evoked potential so it does has some limit. Efferent nerves carry signals to the brain and spinal cord, afferent carry them away from the brain and cord.

Other neurotransmitters are present as well (i.e. serotonin, etc) that are the basis for most anesthetics and the anti-depressives most of you guys here are so fond of.

Aug 25, 2006
An evoked potential along a nerve is transmitted by the exchange of sodium and potassium ions along the nerve and nerve sheath (Schwann cell). It only runs so far to a "node of Ranvier," a gap where acetycholine is released and the potential, if strong enough, will jump the gap and continue along the nerve fiber or to other fibers. Cholinesterase acts to limit the evoked potential so it does has some limit. Efferent nerves carry signals to the brain and spinal cord, afferent carry them away from the brain and cord.

Other neurotransmitters are present as well (i.e. serotonin, etc) that are the basis for most anesthetics and the anti-depressives most of you guys here are so fond of.

fjpikul .....you are fricken comical

Shadowman

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
There will be multiple choice test at the end of this thread.

stu

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Frankie was up late combing his medical journals to find some erudite answer for us. He likes to impress us like that…

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Would sticking your tongue in the power port show state of charge? If not how about your

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

And your point is......?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I still don't know which tastes better, Battery Tender or the OEM charger.

Howard

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
So my battery tender went out yesterday and I started looking for a new one... found this on amazon and began to wonder isn't the optima considered a gel cell? And if so, perhaps we have been using the wrong type of charger on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...OKQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293307282&sr=8-1

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The FGT batter is a AGM type not gel.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Fubar get the regular one and also make sure to get the 2 bank one so you can do 2 cars or 1 car and a spare battery. Funny you brought this up, I just ordered a 2 bank for my warehouse yesterday.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Fubar get the regular one and also make sure to get the 2 bank one so you can do 2 cars or 1 car and a spare battery. Funny you brought this up, I just ordered a 2 bank for my warehouse yesterday.
You should have gotten the 4 bank for the WAREHOUSE!! *pimp*

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Lol, got the 4 bank at home. ;)

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania

LOL Well said. To the op, I use the battery tender brand. Cant go wrong with a red or green light on.