Battery question

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Second....and most importantly...cover the fenders with several folded beach towels with something flexible yet somewhat solid sandwiched between the towels (I used discarded pieces of flexible sign board). This way, if you do accidentally drop an elbow or god forbid a battery on it, your fender is protected. Since I am right handed I only covered the right fender and did all the work from that side by myself. The battery is not that heavy if you leverage it properly.

When I had my dark colored cars (black Mustangs, British Racing Green Cobra) it was impossible to not get smudge prints all over them. I don't see them on the FGT as much but they are still there. For me one of the best car tools for the garage was a pair of fender guards from Car Quest (or anywhere else). I used them when putting in the trickle charger kit.

H

HHGT

When I had my dark colored cars (black Mustangs, British Racing Green Cobra) it was impossible to not get smudge prints all over them. I don't see them on the FGT as much but they are still there. For me one of the best car tools for the garage was a pair of fender guards from Car Quest (or anywhere else). I used them when putting in the trickle charger kit.

While I agree with the fender guards, they do cause minor scratches on dark paints. I now use the plastic 3M type sticky carpet runners (18 & 24") on the fenders and then put a fender guard on.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
While I agree with the fender guards, they do cause minor scratches on dark paints. I now use the plastic 3M type sticky carpet runners (18 & 24") on the fenders and then put a fender guard on.

Your method is a safer and guards against scratches from any grit between the fender guards. If both are clean no issues without the tape, but how are you sure?

Last edited:
H

HHGT

It sticks that's why, there is no friction. Friction causes scratches not stickiness.
Besides I used a an electron beam microscope and talk extensively to the little dirt devils.:willy:willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It sticks that's why, there is no friction. Friction causes scratches not stickiness.
Besides I used a an electron beam microscope and talk extensively to the little dirt devils.:willy:willy

electron beams can damage seals. :lol

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
The first thing I do when working on the GT or the cobra is cover the fenders , for the recent battery change i used the comforter off our bed , my wife was not overally impressed , but it worked very well

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Step 1- Remove the trunck liner by removing 3 twist lock screw, 2 at top , 1 at bottom of liner....

Interesting! Mine has 3 twistlocks along the top and one in the front between the air outlets.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Interesting! Mine has 3 twistlocks along the top and one in the front between the air outlets.

Its needs about 4-5 more. One of the worst design features of the car IMHO....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I agree. I use the fender guards for the casual stuff. For big projects I have a roll of a plastic wrap. I think the best comparison is what they wrap boats with. I got a whole roll of it from the folks at Shelby when I was there two years ago. It adheres to the body and leaves no residue when you peel it off. It's the same kind of stuff that is used for shipping cars on the rail cars. When I got my Mustangs I had to strip tons of the same stuff off. It works pretty well for shipping but equally well as a shop guard.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
So if I put a brand new battery in (on a tender) and don't start or drive for 5 months is that a problem?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So if I put a brand new battery in (on a tender) and don't start or drive for 5 months is that a problem?

Hi Jason

That is exactly what I did. Bought a Diehard Platinum (right down the block from you) - have it on the (Cooltech) charger. The battery should be happy this spring.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I should have asked for commissions from Sears for placing on list ...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My GT got a new battery right before I purchased it, it's hooked up to the OEM charger, although I do have a pigtail that was installed by the previous owner, and I am tempted to hook it up to a tender, but with all the gauge/battery threads, still don't know which way to turn. I will pick up my NSX this weekend from it's major service, and have just had a new battery installed as the OE battery is now 10 years old, and I just didn't want to tempt the fates any longer. It will be hooked up to the CTEC when it gets home.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just ordered an OEM unit from my local dealership for $167.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You must have the "premier" status at your dealership. :biggrin

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Thanks guys. This job is done.