Battery, gauges and the manual

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I use a cTek smart charger.

My first replacement Optima battery lasted 7 years. Now I average about 2 years before it can't start the car if it sits 2 weeks and the cTek is not able to keep it going. Yes, I have replaced the cTek.

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
I use a cTek smart charger.

My first replacement Optima battery lasted 7 years. Now I average about 2 years before it can't start the car if it sits 2 weeks and the cTek is not able to keep it going. Yes, I have replaced the cTek.
So even with the CTEK connected for two weeks, the battery is unable to start the car? What is the output of the charger and have you ever measured battery voltage when this has happened?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I have an ~6-8yr optima battery that has healthy looking terminals and well maintained ground. The car is on a CTEK battery maintainer and is used almost every weekend.

Lately I have noticed that at start up the voltage reads 15V+ for a bit then returns to normal range. (Tried my other car's CTEK charger too). Car runs and starts normally when out and about.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
No, 2 weeks without a smart charger means no-start. If it is always on the smart charger, it will start the car.

After the battery is 2+ years old, the CTEK is not able to maintain it. I have an old (Large) Accumate smart charger that can maintain it for another year but after that it's done.

No, I have not measured/recorded the voltage.

I just put a new Optima in and it can sit for 4+ weeks without the CTEK and start the car.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
OptimaJim: I would have been a customer, but I bought a replacement red top Optima battery a month ago from O’Reilly. Batteries are not something you can stockpile, because they have a limited shelf life, and when one needs a replacement battery , one needs it now, not months from now.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
What is the Difference between a black top versus red top optima battery?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
What is the Difference between a black top versus red top optima battery?
The color ;-)

Reactions: viva gt

OptimaJim

Dec 15, 2009
2112, if your car was discharging batteries within two weeks without a smart charger, changing the battery out is unlikely to change that situation. A new battery may perform better and last longer for a while, but if there is something in the car that was discharging previous batteries, it is likely to continue doing so with subsequent replacements.
PeteK, I understand. While OPTIMA was the OE battery on the GTs, we haven’t manufactured a BLACKTOP for that application in nearly 20 years. I get frequent requests from GT owners, whenever they find out I work for OPTIMA, so I’m trying to determine if getting a special run of BLACKTOPs made is still a rock worth pushing up a hill.

Gene, internally the batteries would be identical. The BLACKTOP is the correct color for the GT from the factory and would require a special production run on our part.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries

Reactions: Special K