Battery, gauges and the manual

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Car was taken out of winter storage. Always on Ford battery charger. On second battery ( diehard, about 7 yrs old). I replaced the battery when tach went. Replaced it and all small gauges with auto meter replacements. No problems until first startup. I always “ prime “ motor first after long storage. Started immediately after priming and battery seemed good. However tach and speedo not working, and check engine light on. Car ran fine, start stopped few times, Speedo worked once, not tach. O k battery change time!
Read manual on battery change ( 05 car and workshop manual) . I read about removing battery from above, Long reach and watch the fenders) I am 5’8”. Manual states remove front spoiler, I thought remove battery from below? Took it off, NO WAY!! Other shields etc. replaced it from above, no problem!
While removing battery , kept ford charger plug in. Started car up, gauges working, No reset needed, check engine light off!!
In summary , change those batteries ( every 5 yrs?!). Also 05 workshop manual has mistakes. 05 manual oil change procedure has mistakes, which were corrected on the 06. Those of you who have 06 manuals please check to see if removing front spoiler is described! If so I am getting an 06 manual!

Reactions: viva gt

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
What battery did you choose?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Optima 25. Easy fit, dimensions like original and no issue with battery hold down bracket.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I have a 05 manual and a 06 manual, have yet to find any differences.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Optima 25. Easy fit, dimensions like original and no issue with battery hold down bracket.
It's more than like the original. The original is an Optima with a Ford label on top. At today's prices the Optima is half the price of the Ford (if you can get it)

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I have a 05 manual and a 06 manual, have yet to find any differences.
Look up wheel torque specs. My 05 manual has two different specs in different sections of it. I think I found a couple other discrepancies too. Rotor screw torque? I think 06 fixed those. IIRC

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Oil change description different in 06 ( and is correct!).

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Rich Roback swapped out my battery a couple of weeks ago, Optima 25 also, cost $273 at O Reillys.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Follow up on 05 and 06 workshop manual changes. I purchased 06 manual, sure enough describes battery change from above ( not below like 05 manual). As stated above different description on oil change as well. The 2 most common maintenance procedures. Can imagine about the rest of the 05 manuals! Would highly recommend updating!!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
From West Coast batteries

Attachments

• 5DAE8617-C19D-4BA2-9DF7-E6603DC2986C.jpeg
    5DAE8617-C19D-4BA2-9DF7-E6603DC2986C.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I swapped mine out a couple days ago with a new Optima. What a PITA job. That plastic hold down block was a dumb idea--having to fish around in there to get it lined up with the long bolt with the battery and frame blocking access, while bent way over, and avoiding leaning too hard on the fender. I think I pulled the battery out 3 more times to retrieve that block and get it lined up properly. Next time, I'll glue it to the battery with a glob of silicone sealer first.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The trick is to push the whole battery forward a hair and it drops right in.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have a string tied to the bolt so when it falls in, I can pull it out easily.

But my last couple Optimas have had short lives, so I am in there more than I want to be.

Next time I will try the Odyssey.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm inclined to use the Odyssey as well, many bad reviews on newer Optimas including from my local battery supplier who won't even sell them anymore. Still available obviously from the large auto parts houses.

Perhaps discussed before, is the Odyssey the same size or does it require any persuasion to reside in the battery compartment?

Reactions: HNS

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
my original optima lasted from 06 to 2019. The second one lasted from 2019 to 2021. The third lasted from 2021 to 2023. I am now on my fourth one

Reactions: analogdesigner

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mine lasted from 2011 to 2018. It was on C-tek (Interstate Battery) trickle charger from the beginning.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I swapped mine out a couple days ago with a new Optima. What a PITA job. That plastic hold down block was a dumb idea--having to fish around in there to get it lined up with the long bolt with the battery and frame blocking access, while bent way over, and avoiding leaning too hard on the fender. I think I pulled the battery out 3 more times to retrieve that block and get it lined up properly. Next time, I'll glue it to the battery with a glob of silicone sealer first.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
My tech did this Sunday in maybe a total of 5 minutes!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Obviously, he's done it a few times before! I like the string idea.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I want to avoid any trauma (to instruments, etc...) when doing a battery switch. Are you guys using any "OBD memory saver", or some specific technique (negative off first, on last)?