Basic exhaust question

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
I've been searching some posts, and have made myself a bit confused as to the various exhaust terminology. Searching and reading old posts hasn't straightened me out.

I currently have the Ford Racing (Borla muffler), and am otherwise stock in the exhaust department. My muffler is cracked and needs some form of replacement. I would like to go a bit louder, not much. Had thought about either swapping my Borla muffler for an X-pipe of sorts, but may be a bit too loud and have a drone from what I read. Seems like possibly removing my Cats and keeping the Borla (albeit getting a new one) would make it a bit nicer.

I am totally confused as to the difference between Ford Long Tube headers, Rear Exit Headers, Cat delete pipes etc... Beyond me reading more and further confusing myself, can someone clarify it a bit?

Thanks

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
FRPP/Borla Cat delete or long tube headers combined with you muffler should meet what you are looking for.

Borla may warranty your muffler.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Exhaust composed of 3 primary components. 1) Headers (aka manifold), 2) catalytic converters, 3) muffler (or xpipe).

Long tube headers replaces 1 and 2 and leaves the option of installing a muffler or xpipe. There are no options for catalytic converters with the long tube headers as there is simply no room.
attachment.php

Cat delete is self explanatory?? In case it's not, this is essentially just tubing that replaces the catalytic converters between the manifolds and muffler/xpipe.
attachment.php

Rear exit headers is essentially replacing the entire stock setup with long tube headers and a pair of small 'collector' mufflers (which from personal experience am assuming don't do much 'muffling' at all).
attachment.php

Nice summary from Kendall a few years ago on quietest to loudest setups.

(Quietest to loudest)

1. Stock manifolds, stock cats, add Ford Racing (aka Borla) Muffler
2. As above, but replace stock cats with "cat test pipes"
3. Stock manifolds, stock cats, add Heffner, Accufab, or Stillen Pipes
4. As above, but replace stock cats with "cat test pipes"

As for Ford Header-based solutions; (Note that with both of Ford's header systems, the factory cats are deleted as there is NO ROOM for them.)

1. Ford Long-tube headers, (no cats), + stock muffler
2. Ford Long-tube headers, (no cats), + Ford Racing (Borla) muffler
3. Ford Long-tube headers, (no cats), + Heffner, Accufab, or Stillen Pipes

4. Ford rear-exit headers, (no cats), Collector muffler part of system

Finally, both Stainless Works and JBA have alternative header solutions for the GT as well as an option for CATs - though neither make claims to have the same cat efficiency as stock. (Stock cats are huge!)

Hope this helps!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
1. Ford Racing Rear Exit Headers - very long, incorporate collector mufflers which primary purpose is performance. No possibility (room) to add cats.
2. Ford Racing Long Tube Headers - Headers (long) that go right through the OEM CAT space and have the OEM up-turns with 3-bolt flange that you can connect to the OEM muffler or any aftermarket muffler

Neither 1) or 2) above allow you to run cats because the both use all of that space.

3. Ford Racing Cat Delete Pipes - these interchange perfectly with the cats and would work in any scenario where you have retained the OEM manifolds. The end of these pipes have the up-turn with the 3-bolt flanges - identical to the oem cats. You can use these with the OEM muffler, the Borla muffler or the Accufab/Heffner/CoolTech X-pipes.

I hope that helps.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks gents!!. It looks like if I add the Cat delete pipes to my stock manifolds and Ford Racing (Borla) muffler, I should be in business.

A few quick questions:

Sounds like the Ford long tube headers are essentially the same as adding the Cat delete pipes to stock manifolds?

Regarding installation of Cat delete pipes (retaining my stock manifold):
- how tough is installation of the Cat deletes for the mechanically challenged (I already have a bumper delete and the Ford racing (Borla)?
- anything else needed for install - I assume a bunch of new exhaust gaskets?
- without Cats, I assume might throw a CEL ?

Most appreciated.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Have to get a tune that turns off the rear O2 sensors. As for installing them I disconnect the half shafts from the transaxle and then you have a choice of removing the rear screens or lifting the transaxle a inch higher to get the clearance to remove the cats. Having a lift will make it a lot easier. Be sure to disconnect the battery 1st or you may short out the starter wiring. Also a good idea to add a heat shield between the pipes and starter. I know of one owner that melted the wiring. The OEM cats has a heat shield built into the pipe.

The removing or installing the heat shield protecting the half shafts are the biggest PITA. Not a lot of clearance and one side uses nuts the other side uses bolts. :confused

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

That is cool. I might have to try to persuade you to make another !

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
From reading a recent post, I see where Borla replaced a non original owner's cracked muffler, with a brand new one, no charge. I had the Borla on my first car. I did like it's sound at WOT, and it's relative quiet at all else. It had a nice deep sound. My second car came with the stock set up. I didn't like it at all, and the heat in the engine bay was huge. I had Rich and Denis put their cross pipe in. The sound is intoxicating at idle and WOT. It is a lot nosier at all times. I don't think you can call it a "drone" when cruising, it's more like a melody. Best bet is to listen to all the various set-ups in person, than make your choice.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My muffler is cracked...

What exactly is cracked? Typically, the external welds at the ends of the muffler are subject to cracking. Also, the internal packing rots.

I'd suggest taking a photo of the muffler that shows the crack, and emailing it to Borla customer service along with a request for their advice.

If they offer you a replacement, it will be a 2nd gen muffler that will not crack, will not rot internally, and will not discolor from heat. It will also be noticeably louder than the original muffler. On the downside, it will be stamped "Borla" instead of "Ford Racing." Sorry, I got the last "Ford Racing" muffler in their inventory.

Of course, even if they offer you a replacement, you will bear the cost of installation. You may find the somewhat louder, but no drone/no buzz sound suits you.

If you choose to add the Borla long tube headers to the mix, you may be the loudest guy in town.

Maybe Sinovac can chime in. He has Borla long tube headers with 1st gen Borla muffler and he has heard mine with the 2nd gen Borla muffler.

dunc

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2013
'Borla long tube headers' -
- I'm just wondering if the original Ford long tube headers were manufactured by Borla?
- Do Borla still supply these? I can't see any reference to them on their website.

Does anyone have experience of the Stainless Works or JBA headers?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
- I'm just wondering if the original Ford long tube headers were manufactured by Borla?
- Do Borla still supply these? I can't see any reference to them on their website.

Yes, yes.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Mitchell,

I strongly suggest the Borla headers into the Borla muffler. Since you have a bumper delete, I assume you already have the shortened Borla tips. Have the headers and collector Jet Hot coated and you're set to go. You can reuse the stock manifold gaskets. They are very good. I've reused them twice on the GT and a GT500 without any issues. Borla and ARH both recommended reusing the stock gaskets.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Ask CJ428 about his JBAs. He said it took a LOT of work to make them fit. The Borla's were made for Ford and fit like OEM.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The cat delete system is super easy to install. The headers are a big trickier and may require the use of a few colorful expletives.

Shawn Fischer made a few exhaust systems for the GT. The exhaust systems were spacifficly required to use a "shorty" header that would terminate at the location where the stock cats began. This allowed the buyer to add the cats back in for road use (or just for local inspection day). It also allowed the buyer to tinker with the sound volume a bit... find the right sound level for the individual. Ultimately Shawn incorporated a long Flowmaster canister, as an option that sounds a bit different than the rest of the offerings out there.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Yes

http://www.borla.com/products/ford_gt_headers_part__17253.html

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Mitchell,

I strongly suggest the Borla headers into the Borla muffler. Since you have a bumper delete, I assume you already have the shortened Borla tips. Have the headers and collector Jet Hot coated and you're set to go. You can reuse the stock manifold gaskets. They are very good. I've reused them twice on the GT and a GT500 without any issues. Borla and ARH both recommended reusing the stock gaskets.

If I am correct, the Borla Long Tube headers + Borla muffler = Stock manifolds + Cat delete pipe + Borla muffler ?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A car with headers (as opposed the the factory cast iron manifolds is going to have a tinnier (is that a word?, raspier, sound. A lot of this because the OEM cast iron is going to absorb a lot more sound thatn the comparitively thin walls of headers. Note too that the cat delete pipes have resonators in them which contribute a little bit to shaping the sound. One of the best-sounding GT exhausts is, in my opinion, the left side of the equation above. Volume-wise, the right side should be similar but I think you would be able to discern a difference in the two. Note: Both of them a LOT better and a lot more fitting to the car's appearance than stock!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If I am correct, the Borla Long Tube headers + Borla muffler = Stock manifolds + Cat delete pipe + Borla muffler ?

Yes. The Borla headers replace the stock manifolds and cats and bolt directly to the Borla muffler. The headers look fantastic in the engine bay and sound even better. The awesome sound suits the character of the car perfectly.