Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2012 Photos

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In Chip's topic I mentioned that I was going more or less to take pictures. The B-J auctions are a really cool multi-day car show. I bought my Cobra there the day we sold a 2008 Shelby GT Barrett Jackson edition convertible for charity. I've started going since then mainly to meet people and take pictures.

I've sorted through them and all of the images are in a photobucket album here:

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac152/tpribors-a/2012-01-19 Barrett Jackson/

I've only processed so far the first two days (Thursday and Friday). The Saturday set is way much bigger since I got to spend so much good time with the 5000 series cars (300SL Gullwing, Tucker) and it will take a while to select the best of them for posting. That will be done this week.

Meanwhile, the first two days will appear as replies.

Edit: Well, my propagation technique isn't working (the source forum - Team Shelby - changed their editor so I no longer get raw stuff with links so I'll have to recreate some content. Will start posting pics tonight, meanwhile the album is alive.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OIK, here we go. Thursday PM I went from the airport to Westworld to get my passes, say "Hi" to my Shelby friends Jenni and Steve, and walk around a little bit to get the lay of the land. I spent about three hours at the horse barn before going to check in to the hotel and go to Chip's Ford GT dinner.

I figured it would be good to start with a FGT themed picture as the first one, but this is for real. I was walking in the vendor area, Maguiars, I think, and this was sitting there. It's a local fellow who introduced himself later and said he was coming to the dinner but didn't show up. After looking really close at a black no stripe car the more I think that a red "heritage" treatment would work so well.

DSC_2015.jpg

Matte black. I saw this later in some less harsh light. More then...

DSC_2018.jpg

DSC_2019.jpg

Some of you may recall the Bugatti Veyron disaster from two years ago where the bidder (at a paltry $650K as I recall) backed out. He got beaten severely about the face and shoulders by Craig Jackson (literally banned forever, I would have broken his nose just for yucks) and Craig bought the car for the price. Here it is now with Barrett Jackson logos. So now that it is a company car he can depreciate it 20% per year and still sell it for a handsome profit later. I don't know the story of the first car (convertible) but was also told it was owned by Craig - it may be his own. I like the convertible a lot better than the coupe but would take almost anything else. They may be wicked fast but remind me of a brassy blond with a boob job. Nice to look at for 10 minutes but then I go back to the pretty girls.

DSC_2020.jpg

DSC_2021.jpg

This was the Shelby area. Most of you aren't Shelby fans but some of these looked pretty nice. I had a Shelby GT, two actually, and with the supercharger and the handling pack it beat the pants off a stock GT500 even modded for less money. Chip has one too. I liked the black with gold stripes but everyone thought it was a Hertz car.

DSC_2025.jpg

DSC_2026.jpg

DSC_2027.jpg

DSC_2028.jpg

DSC_2030.jpg

DSC_2031.jpg

This is the 50th Anniversary Cobra that the Shelby Foundation is raffling for this year's fundraiser. I had a Shelby CSX4000 series (carbon fiber construction) that I sold before I got the GT to make space, my wife hated it, and my conclusion is that a 289 car, especially this "slabside" street car, would be a much more civilized beast than the 427. So I bought some tickets. It's tax deductible too (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

DSC_2032.jpg

DSC_2033.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thursday part 2

Cool paint job.

DSC_2037.jpg

The strangest things show up. The auction sheet made it very clear that you'd better keep this away from water.

DSC_2042.jpg

Vendor area. Lots of airplane dealers. This carbon fiber 4 passenger plane wet with engine weighed 2600 lbs (before passengers and luggage).

DSC_2043.jpg

My wife told me that if I bid on anything I would get to write my own obit. But she didn't say anything about just buying something. I told her I was going to get this for her but she was not amused. But I didn't bid on anything...

DSC_2044.jpg

Or this. A custom truck built on a F650 frame. I saw it here in 2009 or maybe in Vegas in 2010, and the guy hawking it after I said I recognized it said the owner builder had almost 400K in it but would sell for about 240K. Apparently he builds lots of armored type cars for those in and around Washington DC area.

DSC_2045.jpg

Another of the Shelby Foundation 50th Cobra.

DSC_2046.jpg

On the way out I saw this and in talking with them they said they were coming to the dinner. Still haven't decided on whether I'm getting one. The size is the big deal - we have lots of windows and not much wall space and this is BIG. I think even the smaller one isn't going to fit and I don't want to relegate such an awesome picture to the garage or basement.

DSC_2047.jpg

DSC_2048.jpg

This is a matte white Lambo Aventadore. You had to see the paint in person to appreciate it. The picture truly doesn't do it justice.

DSC_2051.jpg

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Friday Part 1

Monkee mobile repro

DSC_2117.jpg

Cuda. I liked these back then. Liked Mustangs better though.

DSC_2120.jpg

Every since Ford came out with the new Boss 302 the old ones are coming out of the woodwork.

DSC_2121.jpg

DSC_2124.jpg

DSC_2125.jpg

Shelby Series 1. Convertibles with the supercharger are amazingly fast.

DSC_2126.jpg

DSC_2127.jpg

This was a charity car. When I did mine they had placed them by lot number but Steve Davis pulled all the charity cars into the main tent to get exposure. This time there were so many "catalog" cars from special collections that it filled up the main tent, so this overflow area in "tent 1" had some very high quality cars in it that many people didn't even look at. If someone wanted a car from the book they would find it but so much of this is by walking around that I think they messed up a little. "Overbooked the airplane" is the best comparison.

DSC_2129.jpg

As usual there are Shelby's all over. This one was in the 1000 series which were on Friday. It still sold for $143K. Again, in the outside tent.

DSC_2132.jpg

Buick GNX. These were sleepers in their day. Wicked fast from a brand that noone expected to be a race car. Were these not a homologation car for a production race car? Sold for 88K.

DSC_2136.jpg

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Friday Part 2

There were two or three Shelby Hertz cars. This one had 34 miles.

DSC_2140.jpg

A Rolls.

DSC_2144.jpg

DSC_2145.jpg

2005 Ferrari 360 Spyder. Some may recall my description of the Gateway Resort trip where I ran into the "supercar corral" and this exact car was one that was there (not this one). When I contacted Hendricks about buying one it was a Ford GT or Ferrari that was on my list. Regrettably he'd already sold them. There were two of each (FGT, Ferrari, Aston Martin and Corvette) - he sold one and kept one. This car sold for 143K (130K + 10%). 954 miles.

DSC_2146.jpg

DSC_2147.jpg

DSC_2149.jpg

Rolls. No info but really classy.

DSC_2153.jpg

DSC_2154.jpg

These Mustangs were being staged to the block outside. All from one collection. Two SuperSnakes and a 40th plus a GTH (different from the one in the picture before).

DSC_2155.jpg

DSC_2156.jpg

DSC_2157.jpg

DSC_2158.jpg

Main part of this is the cooling system. I remember these when I was a kid. A/C was blowing wind across you without having the window open to blast your ears.

DSC_2159.jpg

DSC_2160.jpg

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Friday Part 3

There were quite a few of the little "motorcycle with a car frame wrapped around it". This is one I never heard of.

DSC_2161.jpg

DSC_2162.jpg

DSC_2163.jpg

Food place. This is the central cooking place as they have 3 or 4 places around. It really smelled good with the wood.

DSC_2166.jpg

Both Ford and Chevy had "ride along" stuff. You could test drive a real production car or get a ride along in a race car. Chevy ran Bondurant Corvettes, Ford ran Miller Motorsports Mustangs and Shelby GT350.

DSC_2167.jpg

Macabre. This holds two caskets and 10 or 12 urns. Goofy stuff but it sells ad space I guess.

DSC_2169.jpg

Cool.

DSC_2180.jpg

The Superbirds were out in strength last time but only two this time. I didn't like them back in the day but I think it's growing on me.

DSC_2181.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

Miscellaneous stuff.

DSC_2184.jpg

DSC_2185.jpg

This goofy thing got a lot of attention. It must be significant but it escapes me. Maybe someone here can explain it. I have no idea who Russ Losing is. It sold for $38.5K. Stuff says it's a Buick (but I think only the engine) as it says the underneath is a 1940 Chevy.

DSC_2186.jpg

DSC_2187.jpg

DSC_2188.jpg

DSC_2190.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another Shelby Series 1

DSC_2192.jpg

Another one that never really grabbed me during the day but I think now it would be cool to have a collection of the hoods from each year.

DSC_2193.jpg

Looked like something built by someone that does airplanes. Lots of rivets.

DSC_2197.jpg

The original "motorcycle with a body". BMW Isetta.

DSC_2200.jpg

Why? Cute girls aside (they were posing for another person taking their picture) but why does anyone do this? It couldn't go around a corner at more than 5 MPH without flipping or a 20MPH side wind.

DSC_2201.jpg

DSC_2204.jpg

DSC_2205.jpg

Model Daytona Coupe. Sold in the Memorabilia auction (a separate deal that runs 1 hour before the cars) for $43.5K.

DSC_2208.jpg

DSC_2210.jpg

Goofy stuff. Cobra fridge.

DSC_2212.jpg

Print

DSC_2213.jpg

Pretty girls serve beer. I take their picture whenever I got to the end of the line.

DSC_2221.jpg

On the way out, a Lotus Evora in matte black (from the factory). And it's incredibly inexpensive at about $81K (relatively speaking I guess).

DSC_2223.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Friday Part 4

Another Shelby Series 1

DSC_2192.jpg

Another one that never really grabbed me during the day but I think now it would be cool to have a collection of the hoods from each year.

DSC_2193.jpg

Looked like something built by someone that does airplanes. Lots of rivets.

DSC_2197.jpg

The original "motorcycle with a body". BMW Isetta.

DSC_2200.jpg

Why? Cute girls aside (they were posing for another person taking their picture) but why does anyone do this? It couldn't go around a corner at more than 5 MPH without flipping or a 20MPH side wind.

DSC_2201.jpg

DSC_2204.jpg

DSC_2205.jpg

Model Daytona Coupe. Sold in the Memorabilia auction (a separate deal that runs 1 hour before the cars) for $43.5K.

DSC_2208.jpg

DSC_2210.jpg

Goofy stuff. Cobra fridge.

DSC_2212.jpg

Print

DSC_2213.jpg

Pretty girls serve beer. I take their picture whenever I got to the end of the line.

DSC_2221.jpg

On the way out, a Lotus Evora in matte black (from the factory). And it's incredibly inexpensive at about $81K (relatively speaking I guess).

DSC_2223.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OK, got some more sorted and uploaded. These will be the Saturday "generally wandering around" photos. The special cars (e.g., 300SL Gullwing and Tucker) and some others which I also took on Saturday will be posted in their own groups.

On the way to Westworld I followed a '08 Barrett SGT Convertible. He got into a parking area that required a special permit so I couldn't find out more about the owner or the car. I had two of them and Chip can vouch for the fact that this was probably the screamingest Shelby Mustang deal ever.

DSC_2228.jpg

DSC_2341.jpg

DSC_2343.jpg

This was some "custom" from a collection (the same one that had the Mustangs from the earlier day). Look at the dash - it's from some kind of airplane.

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2352.jpg

DSC_2353.jpg

More cars in the same area

DSC_2354.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2360.jpg

DSC_2361.jpg

DSC_2367.jpg

DSC_2370.jpg

DSC_2375.jpg

DSC_2379.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Saturday Part 2

Ferrari 599. It was a nice car from what the "public" could see. The disadvantage of Scottsdale over Vegas is that the cars are behind the rope and you have to have permission from the owner to get close. The owner was not present so I couldn't get the guided tour.

DSC_2381.jpg

DSC_2482.jpg

DSC_2472.jpg

DSC_2473.jpg

DSC_2477.jpg

DSC_2480.jpg

DSC_2481.jpg

An oldie but not part of the high value collection series.

DSC_2492.jpg

Shelby 85th Superformance GT40. It sold for 120K+10%. a fair price about what it cost to build.

DSC_2493.jpg

Devon GTX. It looks slick.

DSC_2502.jpg

DSC_2503.jpg

This is supposedly the very frist original General Lee (the one that appears in the intro jumping over bridges creeks and other cars. Even had the cracked windshield :)

DSC_2504.jpg

DSC_2507.jpg

57 Belair!

DSC_2509.jpg

I went out and talked to the Roush guys about the problems I had with my engine and they had pictures of it in their book! Cool. I'm tagging this with CSX4005LA so it might show up in searches.

DSC_2515.jpg

Cute girls serve beer :)

DSC_2644.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
More of the Ferrari 599 crossing the block.

DSC_2651.jpg

DSC_2654.jpg

Some more Gulf GT40 art. This is the one mine is numbered after.

DSC_2658.jpg

DSC_2659.jpg

DSC_2662.jpg

They have little bits of everything there!!! These were nice.

DSC_2663.jpg

Who needs a guard dog. Just put one of these by your front door :)

DSC_2664.jpg

BJ has a collectibles auction that happens daily before the main auction, but "garage collectibles" are everywhere.

DSC_2667.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is the first of the 5000 Series cars. These cars were the highlights of the auction. All were absolutely concours cars across the board.

I'm starting with the 1954 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. This is without a doubt the most beautiful car I've ever seen. I have lusted over one of these since I saw a picture of one. Even more than the Cobra or the GT. Many are in museums not because of the rarity but purely because they were a piece of art. Imagine driving a Picasso or the Mona Lisa.

I actually missed this car going over the auction block because I was hanging out with the Shelby Team and then ran into someone else on the way. This car sold for $2.2M ($2M+10%). Not a bad start for, as Craig Jackson described it, a catalog sale within a regular auction.

DSC_2229.jpg

DSC_2230.jpg

DSC_2231.jpg

DSC_2233.jpg

DSC_2235.jpg

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2237.jpg

DSC_2238.jpg

DSC_2388.jpg

DSC_2389.jpg

DSC_2392.jpg

DSC_2394.jpg

DSC_2397.jpg

DSC_2398.jpg

DSC_2399.jpg

DSC_2400.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think some of my Gullwing pictures were better than the ones that appeared in the motoring press packages.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for posting all the great pictures. I missed going this year, but you captured a lot of the things I would have checked out!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for posting all the great pictures. I missed going this year, but you captured a lot of the things I would have checked out!

I pretty much only go now to take pictures. I was fortunate to get "behind the ropes" of the 5000 series cars. I will be posting more over the next week as time permits. Tucker will be next.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So I got to go behind the ropes. Here are pics of the 1948 Tucker from both sides. The car sold for $2.65M(+10%). The only thing is I was being rushed by the "keeper" and totally forgot to get a picture of the interior!

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2215.jpg

DSC_2217.jpg

DSC_2300.jpg

DSC_2307.jpg

DSC_2311.jpg

DSC_2430.jpg

DSC_2433.jpg

DSC_2435.jpg

DSC_2593.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

The Speed TV guy trying to get a light on the cyclops light.

DSC_2605.jpg

The engine. It's an aircraft (helicoptor?) engine. Pretty small in the engine compartment compared to other engines of the day. Don't know how much HP it puts out.

DSC_2609.jpg

DSC_2611.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There are a few interior shots of a Tucker on this page of photos, Tony:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=interi...+1948+tucker&FORM=IGRE&prevver=search&shash=1

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here is the 1947 Bentley. This was a gorgeous car, and had won so many coucours class trophys that it was "off" for a while. Eligible again! The new owner gets to start taking home best of class over and over again until they get told "you've won too many times and need to take a break".

This car sold for $2.5M+10%. The BJ web site says it includes the 10% but that would make the sale price.

DSC_2296.jpg

DSC_2297.jpg

These old cars had hood ornaments that in their own right were works of art. I've included a few of the Bently here but I'll have a whole set of just hood ornaments. A few years ago I went to the Clive Cussler collection and veg'd out on hood ornaments too. Maybe I'll do a coffee table book.

DSC_2301.jpg

DSC_2304.jpg

This car is a 40's throwback to the 20's when RR and Bentley and even Mercedes didn't produce a car - they made a chassis and sent it to a "Coachworks". I was awe-struck at the body styiling and to some degree "art-deco" trim details. This is a really awesome car and one that I say I can't do justice in photos, especially with the harsh lighting in the arena. If you get a chance at a show, see this one. I'm sure it will be back on the circuit again some time soon.

I furthermore think there should be a rule that someone who buys one of cars in this class (Tucker included) shouldn't be allowed to keep it a secret nor should they be allowed to just lock it in a garage. This car and the Tucker were from Ron Pratte's collection and while I always thought his tastes are impeccable, I will always lament the fact that he keeps them tucked away in a lock box.

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2386.jpg

DSC_2438.jpg

Sorry about this one. It's the only one I have of the interior, and it's hand held (as all of these photos are) and the light meter got fooled and made a slow shutter speed (probably the white in the upper center) so this is nothing more than a poor snapshot. I shoot a camera (even the digital) like film most of the time and don't look at (and sometimes turn off) the viewing screen so I didn't re-take it. Sigh...
b
DSC_2440.jpg

The "x" pattern is from the overhad lights and trusses. This black paint was like nothing you've ever seen. I wanted to dust it but didn't have my duster [those who know me know I have this Mr. Monk OCD about black paint].

DSC_2441.jpg

DSC_2442.jpg

DSC_2571.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tonight was reruns on TV so watching DVR recordings from when I was in Scottsdale including House and the new Alcatraz show (thumbs clearly sideways - I'll give it a few more shows).

Anyway, this is the Delehaye. The final price was $175K with reserve not met. I can't believe this car with this history did not sell and stopped at less than a daily driver FGT. Lots of things went for big bucks but this one was a total shock. It is so gorgeous. I do have a soft spot for open roadsters and cars with leather belts and buckles to hold the hood down.

Herewith images.

DSC_2329.jpg

DSC_2465.jpg

DSC_2559.jpg

DSC_2560.jpg

DSC_2561.jpg

DSC_2562.jpg

I dont' have a session planned for "butt ornaments" so this sone stands here :)

DSC_2563.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So Photobucket warned me that I was using too much bandwidth from all you people looking at my pictures so I slowed down a little. I decided tonight would be a good night to post a few more.

Again, these are all from the "5000" series.

Lot 5002.1 (54) sold for 1.3M (+10%), Lot 5008.1 sold for 205000+10%,

DSC_2295.jpg

DSC_2289.jpg

DSC_2446.jpg

DSC_2447.jpg

DSC_2523.jpg

DSC_2526.jpg

DSC_2288.jpg

DSC_2285.jpg

DSC_2287.jpg

DSC_2612.jpg