Barrett Jackson 4 sale

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
So as an avid current market watcher, what am I make to of this?

The Silver car at 297, let alone 272, tells me the market is still down, and bargains can be had. The red car at 255, let alone 280, means either that the market is roaring back, or there are a some suckers in Scottsdale for a "production car used by Ford's marketing dept". wtf?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
MI

The Silver car at 297, let alone 272, tells me the market is still down, and bargains can be had. The red car at 255, let alone 280, means either that the market is roaring back, or there are a some suckers in Scottsdale for a "production car used by Ford's marketing dept". wtf?

Go there some time and it's powered by alcohol combined with irrational all exuberance and sometimes despair. My observation is that most auction sales in this period are outliers. If houses were here instead of cars no rational appraiser would use them as comps.

Right now we've got a 1970 mach 1 Mustang with a wrecked Ford gt engine in the back that is selling for for 95k. Wtf? I rest my case

Bottom line. Chill out don't lose any sleep.

Last edited:

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
To quote that renowned NFL QB/Philosopher, Aaron Rogers...'Relax'!! Lol!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida

I am also an avid watcher of prices as I won't be getting a NFGT. So maybe I will pick up another 05-06 model down the road. The market seems to be steadying after peaking around 2015 or 2016. I was at Mecum Kissimmee last week. There were three FGT's up for auction.

Lot # F144 Yellow 3 option (listed as 4 option but had black break calipers) 2,560 miles $280K before commission.
Lot # F156 Heritage 1 option, the Heritage paint. No Macintosh, upgraded wheels or brake calipers, 1,828 miles $327,500K before commission.
Lot # S87.1 Black, OTT and side stripe delete, 3 option car, 5,700 miles, bid up to $250K and did not sell. This appears to be the same car on Shelby's website.

The prices just sort of seem all over the place. I think the red high mileage GT at BJ brought strong money for the mileage. The silver 2005, can't say. Seems low. Yes the alcohol and placement in the auction can have a significant impact on pricing I believe.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
what am I make to of this?

Bottom line. Chill out don't lose any sleep.

To quote that renowned NFL QB/Philosopher, Aaron Rogers...'Relax'!! Lol!

guys my post wasn't coming from any stress or worries at all, just like chattin' price trends : )

The prices just sort of seem all over the place. Yes the alcohol and placement in the auction can have a significant impact on pricing I believe.

Good summary, thanks for including the Mecum results.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Russo Steele CP1 no sale 600k bid

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Oh yes, the alcohol! and you wonder why it's free to certain level bidders! lol the quick silver car was bought by a dealer/friend of mine. he feels he stole it for the quality that the car is. he said he had no interest in the red car whatsoever. Oh yeah, the commercial break. they are not ever to go to commercial when a Ford GT is on the block! don't they know that!!! lol
it was also fun to see my red GT500KR convertible go across the block and I even got some kudos for restoring it.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1968-SHELBY-GT500KR-CONVERTIBLE-200945

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
One thing about the silver car, had a dent front right fender. I would not think it would greatly impact value, but still was a surprise.

Also here is the sellers show board for the Ford vin 117 car.

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_183250846.jpg
    IMG_20170121_183250846.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_20170120_124112522.jpg
    IMG_20170120_124112522.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 431

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is some major strange things going on with the TV and live coverage. The hammer on the live stream fell at 225K and the price shown on the short docket shows 247.5K (225K+10%). Yet the full detailed listing for lot 1394 shows a sold final of 280.5K. I just went back in the recording and indeed it shows 255K. They had a split screen commercial + car on the block and then broke to full commercial but the voiceover after they came back said 255K. The "no sound" shot before they broke to full commercial did show it going to 250 and then I think 255K before they went to full screen commercial.

Today has a different story. The daily docket still shows 247.5K and now the full entry also shows 247.5K. So without all of the goings-on on what happened when the car rolled to the exit ramp we'll never know. But the 255K did show up at the very last instant before it rolled out of the block area. I do know that things get undone. So if the 255K was a false bid, then it goes backwards until someone can agree. So assuming the 250K was real, he is not obligated but can take it for that price. Apparently he also rejected. Then it keeps going back until they find someone. I know that happens because it happened to me on my Cobra in 2009. I had bid and stopped because it hit my stop point. Spanky thought he had recognized another bidder's assistant but it really didn't happen. I was getting ready to leave and my BA asked me to stand by then asked me if I still wanted it (I could have said no). I asked him afterwards what happened and he said the other BA had thought the person before me indicated he was bidding but he did not. I do know that this chatter happens openly and on the block, but both the live stream and the Velocity TV broke away at that instant. Lesson learned: Bid by raising your bidder's badge. If you do that from the start they know what your are doing. If you just wave your hand you can signal just by reaching for a beer!

Last edited:

rsstopper

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2006
Arizona
A red >200 mile optioned car, 2006 hammered at $280 at RM on Friday night. Nice car, I expected more. However, few cars reached their low estimates and many were no sale. The market appears soft everywhere. Goodings seemed to do better.

Last thought... many of the estimates seemed high. I suspect that is a product of the auction houses fighting with each other for consignments. There were very few 'killer' mega cars being sold. I'm not certain what that indicates....

An original lightweight E-type sold at Bonham's for about $7.5 mill with fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We were at gooding for about half of the lots on Saturday, I think only one reached their estimate window. As suggested above, maybe they were just too high. Years past, we had seen just the opposite, where the sale price was in the window. We were surprised.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Same thing at Gooding on Friday but most did sell but under low reserve.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Wonder if they want the original bumper cover for the red car? I have it in my basement :)

Attachments

• IMG_3133.jpg
    IMG_3133.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 246

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
2005 Ford GT Marketing Car 5-0117

This car saw a lot of action around Dearborn...

On display at a Ford Employee car show at WHQ in October, 2004:
5-0117 (2).jpg

On the track at Gingerman Raceway giving rides for charity in May 2005:
76418028_7c0f790c8c_o.jpg

TomL

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2016
Glen Ellen Ca
Saw the 2 GT's @ Barrett. Was there looking for a Pantera to keep my '06 GT company. Found an original car (25k miles) @ Russo/Steele, which I was lucky enough to win the bid on. Am expecting the transport here today.