Bar Stocking advice...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So, Im stocking my two home bars (its 14 degrees in NYC!), staving off the cabin fever

Im budgeting about 16 bottles/bar to start

Im a youngerish guy so I tent toward the clear: Gins, Vodka, Tequila, Rum...

-4 Gins: Bombay, Tanqueray, Beefeater, ?

-4 Vodka: G.Goose, Absolut 100, Charbay Pomegranate, Ciroc Berry, Absolut Raz (flavors for ladies:lol)

-4 Scotch: J. Walker Black, Royal Crown, Chivas, Glenfidich

-4 Tequila: Don Julio Blanco, Patron Silver, Patron Gold, ?

-Other: 10 Cane Rum, Courvoiser XO, Remy VSOP, Moet (3), Perrier Jouet (3),

Somehow, I feel like I am half done? Do I have all the major groups?

Re: Scotch & Whiskey

I am always clueless on Scotch. I get the Single Malt difference; the American Bourbon, Sour Mash and Southern flavors, but are they all so different?

The J. Walker Black was $45 Ltr; while the Glens (12) were $36; same as Chivas, Crown Royal. I always thought the Single Malts were the best?? or do you have to go 18yr or McAllan?

Is Rum a big one; all the Bcaradi was like $16 and tastes terrible; there were a few dark; but do folks drink this when not on vacation?

Thx

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A good whiskey. I really like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel. There is a Colorado made whiskey too - Stranahans. Almost as good as JDSB. For a mixing whiskey Canadian Club or Seagrams 7 (I've since found that Black Velvet is really a good enough substitute. It's a cut above "well" but costs less than CC. My dad made that same conclusion 40 years ago.)

We'll leave the liqueurs for later although you might want some triple sec or Grand Marnier if you're into margaritas.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Not much of a whiskey drinker however took the tour at Jack Daniels and wound up tasting their Gentleman Jack and very much enjoyed it. The tour guide said it's their attempt to go after the Crown Royal market, smoother due to extra filtration. Also there is a fairly new potato Vodka on the market made up here in Idaho called Blue Ice. I have seen it in the west but not sure if it's in the east yet. 5 stage filtered and I like it as much as I do Belvedere.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
And I was out and about and was going to add Crown Royal. Nice.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
Two suggestions with known results. Makers mark. Just have it. If you are single and younger, you have to have a bottle of dom.

Steve

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Got to have the Makers Mark in honor of Bony:cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Got to have the Makers Mark in honor of Bony:cheers

Yup, I met him at Pebble '08, he chatted an hour w me...

Will go in GT trophy room bar

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gin: Hendricks
Tequilla: Gran Patron
Vodka: Kettel One
Bourbon: Knob Creek

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
My selection...

Gin: Hendricks - "must have" and "Ten"

Vodka: Stirling (Tanquaray)

Scotch: Johnny Walker BLUE.

Maker's Mark

Louis XIII

Cabo Wabo Tequila Reposado 750ML

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Geez u guys are Top Shelf!

Im posting this on Mustang forum

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Gin: HendricksTequilla: Gran Patron
Vodka: Kettel One
Bourbon: Knob Creek

I was going to say this for Gin. It's my favorite. Their website is cool too and I like the Hendricks Martini recipe.

I also agree on the Makers Mark comments for whisky.

I'm not much of a tequila or vodka guy so really can't comment on those.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I have good memories of Hendrinks....got it in a free party giftbag once

Then took a hot Polish babe home, and thats all we had in the house to drink!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
pics of hot polish babe?? :biggrin

Hendricks is by far my favorite Gin as well.

Scotch, the JW Black and GL 12 can't go wrong and are what I stock for guests and entertaining... tastes damn good, usually suits all scotch drinkers tastes by having the two choices, and won't break the bank when you start drinking straight out of the bottle :willy

I also like keeping some Blue and other scotches on hand... a 21 for special occasions in Macallen or Glenlivet... a bottle of lagavulin 16 for sipping (really peaty)...

Crown Black, Cask 16 are good... Crown XR is my favorite and can usually be bought reasonably (don't let them charge you a premium on the BS for it being rare)...

Vodkas... there are so many that are good and most people don't drink it straight so most people can't tell the difference other than reading the bottle and knowing that is the "good stuff"... seriously, when entertaining and buying a LOT of liquor, this is a very important fact... i have hosted parties with extremely high tabs and guests mixing drinks with whatever their flavor was liked Titos better than Goose... at 1/2 price! Scotch most people drink straight or with water so invest there... whiskey, jury is out... if you drink straight go for XR... if you mix with coke get regular crown...

Goose most people like and accept as being premium, SKY is good... try a bottle of Crystal Head... tastes great straight and the bottle looks killer behind the bar :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Shiver me Timbers

:cool

Attachments

• Photo  266.jpg
    Photo 266.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 84

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.

Nice!!! I thought about asking for pics but thought you wouldn't deliver. I learned my lesson!:biggrin

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
...I was drinking while I typed this.

Kayvan,

Just a few suggestions.

I wouldn't concentrate on having 4 of each types of liqueurs. Get yourself 1 good shooting brand (this will be the top shelf one) and 1 for mixing. For example: Vodka, do you like grain or potato? I prefer Potato - much better for shaking/straining over ice and shooting (Chopin is my favorite, good price point, smooth, no alcohol bit face which makes you look silly in front of friends). For mixing try the Russian Standard, It's a grain vodka and pretty darn good for the price and blends well. Absolute has too much of an after taste IMO.

Try the same with Whiskey - get a Bourbon to sip/shoot (Blanton's is my favorite). Get a mixer (Jack or Jim) for coke/sprite/sour. Get a blend for the girls in the crowd, Crown or Chivas - very different flavors. (but a Chivas, vanilla schnapps & coke is very good).

Gin - I prefer regular Bombay and 2nd with Bee feater. You can spend more but I don't see the point - you don't normally drink gin straight. The Tanqueray Rangpur Lime is a must - mix with sprite & splash of OJ for a summer all purpose tonic.

Single malt - I like the islays, they taste like gasoline from the peat smoking. You will have to find your flavor of scotch, they are all very different and you will most likely wind up preferring one type, tolerating another and hating the rest. To find your taste start by filling glass fill of ice, pour in a shot & add a couple ounces of water - this is destroying the scotch according to the scotch drinkers (& I agree) but it will enable to you taste the scotch and find the one you like - Then back out he water, then dial down the ice. Now you'll know and most importatn, enjoy your scotch. Laphroaig quarter cask & Bowmore Mariner are my 2 favorites. JW is a blended scotch - Red is too harsh, Black too sweet, Blue too expensive but ok. Dewars is also a blend and for the price the 12yr is pretty darn good, white is horrible. Scotch can be used to impress based upon the common accepted ratings - JW blue is rated as awesome but for the price you can buy 3-4 other really awesome single malts. I buy a case of JW blue every year and give it to my clients as gifts, they seem to appreciate it more than I do.

Rum - same, get a shooter & a mixer - aged rums are much easier to shoot (dark).

Tequila - Silver for mixing (Hornitos is excellent, reasonable & most important 100% agave). The sky is the limit with Anejo (aged) tequilas. Sauza Tres Generations is moderately priced and one of my favorites (and the one shoot by my relatives in Mexico). Herradura would be a 2nd.

Cognac - can't stand it, have nothing to offer here.

The IMPORTANT and most over looked - the cordials. Liqueurs like Tuaca, Baileys, Kahlua, Ouzo, Chambord, Gran Marnier, etc. These are what make mixed drinks good. Add a splash of Tuaca to a margarita and it will take the bite out of it for example. These are cheap and most popular with the ladies.

Keep some fresh lemons, limes & mandarin oranges - fresh mint, sugar & club soda.

For champaign you really only need 2 kinds (sweet & not so sweet). Veuve Clicquot yellow label for dry, demi-sec for sweet. Moet Nectar Imperial (black label) for sweet & White Star (white label) for dry. Korbel Natural (black label) is a nice "in the middle". Have a bottle of Dom, Dom Rose if you really want impress.

Just my novel & 2 cents. My house is better stocked than many, many high end bars. You will tend to gravitate to a few drinks you drink all the time. Most start off drinking some obscure, hard to make exotic drink. Then realize its a pain to make and and huge mess and get over it and settle on a Cuba Libra hybrid or something. Keep it simple - after all you will need simple as your accuracy will decrease as the night goes on. Don't try to measure anything - learn now how to mix by sight.

Yesterday it was Sailor Jerry's, Parrot Bay Key Lime & coke. Today it's Jim Beam Black & coke. Tomorrow maybe Mojitos... who knows. You will build up a tolerance, you Dr. & friends will call you an alcoholic (if they can't keep up) - you budget will increase and you will realize, after trial and error that you can find a really good $30/bottle that tastes just as good as the $60/bottle. But you may not be impressing as much with the $30 bottle. Buy the small fifths until you figure out your flavors.

Go too far and like me you will start telling the bar tender how to make your drink, correctly :biggrin

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Fastzilla,

Stunning review!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
A real, nice, blended Scotch; Famous Grouse (I know, it's the bird hunter in me).

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Thank you. I forgot to mention. In general liqueurs bottled with a cork are better quality (example: JW black is a screw top - JW Blue is a cork. Smirnoff is a screw, Chopin is a cork as is Belvedere & Grey Goose). Like wine, liqueurs with corks need to be wetted from time to time to keep the cork from shrinking/drying out. You only need to simply shake the bottle (or turn the opening downward) to wet the cork every 2 weeks or so. This is the reason wine is stored on it's side.

You should enjoy your drinks, not simply tolerate it to get a buzz.

...all this coming from a jarhead who lived on Evil Will for 8 years.....

Enjoy! A friendly drink is a great thing. Cigars are next...:thumbsup

Fastzilla,

Stunning review!