Bang for the Buck Daily driver

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There's been quite a bit of discussion here on "other" cars to use a daily driver in place of the GT. In fact, it seems that the Viper is a very popular stablemate to the GT, although I wonder how many of those are DD's.

I consider myself an enthusiast through and through and, as such, more heavily weight the driving experience over looks and what others may think. (I have to put this up-front, because if you can't identify with this perspective, you'll never understand my dd!)

In the past my daily drivers have included an '88 M5, a '91 M5, a supercharged NSX (400 HP), Lexus GS400, and an Integra Type R. However, my dd for the last 14 mos. has been a Subaru STi. 300HP/300lb-ft TQ.... but now about 350/350 with minor mods (<$1500).

The STi is, by far, the best dd I have ever owned. It is really an incredible machine and a huge value for the money. I know, I know, I'm not a fan of its looks either, and it's kind of getting old to have every 16 year-old kid you see giving you the thumbs up. BUT, from a driver's experience the car is really fantastic. It is faster than snot and, perhaps more importantly, the power is all down low. The car's power range allows it to be very "squirt-able". In contrast, was the blown NSX. A very nice car that I enjoyed immensly. I owned it for eight years - longer than any car in my life. Although more powerful, all the power was in the high-end (5500rpm - 8000rpm). Although I don't often engage in street antics, the NSX would necessitate that you continued an "engagement" until 70-80 MPH before it could prevail. The longer/higher MPH of the skirmish, the better. Therefore, a strict avoidance of the temptations. The STi is really the opposite. Roll-on from any speed to another and the STi is always there, always ready and just friggen' POUNCES!

As for the handling, the STi AWD makes a motal driver look/act like a pro. Running down a 270 degree sweeping freeway on-ramp in a 4-wheel drift is child's play. Easy. Really. (You'll do it every time you have a chance, it's so easy.) 4-doors so the whole family can partake in my mad driving, so it's fun for the whole family! (Not sure they would always agree, however!)

The GT is so cool in that it is both a very sexy "looker" and simultaneously a driver's car. The STi is a driver's car - always rewarding to drive, always ready to leap at a moment's notice. It's bad looks will keep much of the "mature" crowd from ever experiencing how truly wonderful this car is. That is unfortunate.

Since my post is kind of long already, let me toss a few word in about the GS400. I bought one new in 2000. Frankly, I didn't like it from the get-go. It is just too perfect of a chamber. I spiff'd it up with wheels/tires and a more aggressive exhaust. It was obviously super reliable, super comfortable, reasonably good-looking.... and an absolute bore to drive. I found myself adapting to it's culture - driving like an old man. Wonderful car. Not for me.

Let's hear about your dd and why.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
well your daily drivers are a lot better than mine. Until last week it was a chevy duelly but after putting a $100. bill in the tank every day I parked it and got a ranger with 30 mpg.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Hi Kendall.
I still need to hook up with you before you get your car. Man, time is flying. :willy

My current DD is an 05 SL55. I only drive 15 miles each way. I live in Sand Canyon and my office is in the Industrial Center.
Before that, it was between my 03 CL55, 02 996TT, & most recently my 04 Blown Z06.
I tried a 2005 Mini cooper, since it is supposed to be a great drivers car, but the lack of power led to a 1 year old car with 350 miles on it. :lol
My GT and my Z are great drivers cars. My SL goes fast and doesn't require much thought on my part, and at the end of the day, that usually works best for me.
However, I love those days that I bring my Z to work and tear arse home! :biggrin

Attachments

• minicooper03.jpg
    minicooper03.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 325

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I switch off among a 04 F150 Lariat (super comfortable, a great highway vehicle, but only 15mpg at 80-85), an 02 Escape AWD that's very cozy but a little loud, and a 98 XK8 coupe (terrible in inclement weather, but 25 mpg at 80-85). I really prefer the F150 since I have the best of all worlds but mileage. I used to drive Acura Legends, but service was a problem so I dumped them for Fords since service is eveywhere and cheap. Just bought my son an 06 Fusion which has been a pleasure, but I've only had one long trip in it. Mileage has been very good with the 6 speed auto. The GT is still a garage queen until weather is better.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I drive an 05 Tundra 4x4 crew cab and the wife drives an 05 Volvo s80. Comfortable, easy to drive, fair on the gas but best of all my clients and employees mostly are tickled pink that life for me is good....but not too good. :wink

I also had a Accura Legend, for me it was a fantastic car and without problems but clients would do the o'le "must be nice" number on me. (Yes I said Accura not Benz or BMW). People who worry so much about what others have or are getting and not working hard at achieving it themselves just kill me. :bored

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
my daily driver car is my Z06 vette. my work truck is my year 2005 ford F-150 4X4

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have an 03 audi rs6. It comes from the factory with a 450hp twin turbo v8. I took the cats out and chipped it. I'm now getting about 525hp and if I need a little more umph, I have a nitrous tank in the trunk. It is a luxury 4 door awd german smooth runner. NIce and sedate looking but what a blast. I went to the track before the cats were removed and before the nitrous and I was pushing c5,s and 997's out of my way.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
05 Honda Accord V6 is my daily driver, great car with great gas mileage and when I get in my GT or GT2 I appreciate those cars that much more! I've always felt if you drive any car all day every day it just becomes another car, in my opinion you have to save them for weekends when there is not so much traffic and stress.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I just gave up my DD Porsche 996 TT to DD an 06 Viper LE Coupe.

It is just as fun to drive (well almost) as the Ford GT and I do not have to worry about it as much. I love the Viper as a DD.

BTW interesting info on the Subaru STi.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My dd for the last 18 months has been a Cadillac SRX with the Northstar V8 and 20 inch wheels. Absolutely great car, I love it as a fast cruiser (80 miles round trip) but the mileage at 75 to 80 mph sucks.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Cadillac Escalade EXT. A must have for me due to the 24 foot enclosed trailer I pull my hot rod to shows in. Great truck, lots of luxury, pulls great and the gas mileage I can live with (about 15-17 and 10-12 when I'm pulling 8000 pounds).

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I recently sold my MB E55 daily driver and am now in a Supercharged Range Rover Sport. I miss the power of the E55 but the Rover has been very useful and nice to drive also.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I dumped my SL500 and went for funtionality. Since the wife has the Cadillac - I went for a SUV being the Durango RT. This weekend after moving two kids in college and hauling a trailer for 500 miles- it was a wise decision.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
californiacuda said:
I have an 03 audi rs6. It comes from the factory with a 450hp twin turbo v8. I took the cats out and chipped it. I'm now getting about 525hp and if I need a little more umph, I have a nitrous tank in the trunk. It is a luxury 4 door awd german smooth runner. NIce and sedate looking but what a blast. I went to the track before the cats were removed and before the nitrous and I was pushing c5,s and 997's out of my way.

Stellar car; I' d love to get my hands on a RS6 wagon but I heard they go for the price of a preowned GT over in Europe :confused

I may settle for an $40,000 SRT8 magnum instead:wink

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I'm very happy w/my Nissan 350 Z dd. I used to complain about lack of trunk space & poor visibility, & then I saw the GT... (though I really wouldn't mind trading this for someone's GT if they need the extra trunk space) :lol Fun to drive fast & no speeding tickets yet!!! :biggrin :banana

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I always had Jaguar XKR's as a daily drive - but recently bought a Range Rover Vogue supercharged. Huge fun. It's like driving around in a small public building and is moderately quick too. Fantastic in rain, snow, mud, plague, drought, rivers, grass, motorway etc. Cuts up London buses superbly - puts you at eye level with the bus driver so he can clearly see the middle finger being extended. I shoot too (pheasants and grouse), so finally I can take my own car rather than borrow one. My children love it too as they can watch films in the back (with cordless headphones) and my wife and I can return to the dignified silence that epitomises our marriage.

Also, I am doing my bit for the environment. Milder Autumns (fall) are my target and am doing all I can to achieve this with a significant contribution to the greenhouse gasses, whilst the Range Rover produces less harmful gas than a cow, I am, nonetheless, doing my bit.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I'm thinking of sellling a few of my cars to make space in the garage (something like fleet consolidation :biggrin ), and sell off the Subaru STI Prodrive (mostly use it in winter only), the Ferrari Spyder (enjoy the Challenge so much more), the Alfa and also the BMW 745Li to just get me a 612 Scaglietti (cool grey outside (or black), grey interior with red stitching, red calipers etc..).
Just not sure with the leg space in the back, my girl would be happy, but if you go in four it'll be difficult... Maybe better wait for the Aston Martin Rapide ? What you guys think ..? Or (as it probably goes, I'll keep the Beamer for whatever..)

I think I'm usually good with buying cars, but never want to sell any one of them then.
Then ending up to just keep growing the fleet, and some cars just stand and are hardly driven. Is this a sickness, or so ? Anyone else have the same symptoms ? Sometimes some things have to go, but I just won't let go...

Like with women's shoe cabinets.... :rofl

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
DD:
Z06a.jpg

If the weather is bad, I drive the tow vehicle:
F350c.jpg

ART T

GT Owner
Nov 21, 2005
Healdsburg, CA,
My DD is a 2004 Caddilac CTS-V, I believe I have just hit 9000 miles on it (dont drive very far) I must say that it is one of the best cars I have ever owned and that includes 3 and 5 series BMWs as well as Porsches.

It drives very nice when being civil, Gets good gas mileage on the highway and when you step on the gas it is pure excitement!!

I also like the way it it looks, the slab sides, all the performance goodies that you can see as you walk around the car, the brakes, the underpinnings, the mesh grill....Ya think I might like it?

The only thing that I can say is that it is not as scarey as "punching it" on my wifes SRT8 Magnum....thats outta control.

Art :thumbsup