Baby Seat in a GT?

tblackj

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2007
Anyone done this yet? Can you offer any advice on the best way to do it?

My wife is going out of town this weekend and taking our 4 year old daughter. That leaves me at home with my 1 year old son. I really want to go see a private collection of cars on Saturday and I figured the GT would be the car of choice to take. Is it safe?

Last edited by a moderator:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Stunts has one, PM him, might be slow to answer as he is in Italy on a photoshot.
Be sure to turn airbag off with kiddie seat in place.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Joe has taken his little one out. Turn off airbag........

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
One of our members posted pics of his son in a childs seat. There is a special bracket behind the passenger seat just for that purpose. It should be very similar to any other car. I'm sure it's just as safe too.

The little guy would probably enjoy it.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Thomas, you started 2 threads in one day. I am so proud! :banana
Now, hang around a become a regular! Sign up for the rally in Vegas and I will put your car on the big rig with ours! :cheers:cheers

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Both of my kids (4 and 6) have ridden shotgun in #562, but they've been in booster seats. I would think as long as the car seat is forward facing, the airbag is turned off, and you can make sure the seat is really secure, you shouldn't have any issues.

Aside from the most important concern (the safety of your man cub), I would be concerned that strapping a car seat into one of those fine leather seats would leave creases in the leather that make take a while to work themselves out. As tight as I install car seats (not booster seats), it's all I can do sometimes to get the seatbelt to buckle.

Sharing the GT with your man cub is one of the coolest things you can do with the car. You just don't want him picking up on certain four-letter words when you take his car seat out of the car.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Syco has a few pics somewhere on the site of his boy in a car seat. I think it's Recaro :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would be concerned that strapping a car seat into one of those fine leather Recaros would leave creases in the leather that make take a while to work themselves out.

NO PROBLEMO if you put down a good thick "seat cushion size" piece of carpet on the seat and up the back rest first & put the "man cub(!)" carrier 'toppa that. :thumbsup :cheers

(Do you hafta ask how I know?)

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Fold over a beach towel to fill the seat base then sit the car seat on the seat. Strap the latch system into the mounts behind the passenger seat (for a rearward facing seat) I had a seat for my daughter ready to go and mounted it that way. My son uses a booster seat. Make sure you place a towel in the bottom folded over then a towel under the seat itself so that it does not scratch the leather. Also as others have stated turn off the airbag.

Enjoy!!! :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My soon to be 4 year old (next week) and my 7 year old have ridden since the car was new (oct 05) one rode home with me from the dealer even. I found that our brittax car seat held in very well with lacing the seat belt through, and not using the anchor points. they are both in boosters now, and they sit crooked unless you pad up under the seat (as others have mentioned) My wife has ony been in the car twice, it is ALWAYS a kid that goes with me. They absolutely LOVE it. As others have said, there is an airbag switch, be sure to use it. take his shoes off, and you will find that the doors make it VERY easy to load him and strap him in. Now do what I did and also get a GT500 so you can take both kids when you want to.......

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Turn off airbag........

Where are you going to put the diaper bag ? :rofl :willy

Not in the trunk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will spoil the milk. :frown

--Carry the kids in the outside. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
So if I understand correctly, all Ford GT's come with the baby seat anchor points. Is this correct?

I am asking this as I am in the process of taking delivery of my Ford GT and want to take my babies for a cruise.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Pretty sure they are SPARCO seats and RECARDO trans.....:confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, all GT's came with the teather brackets behind the passenger seat. Many people have removed them for one reason or another.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Pretty sure they are SPARCO seats and RECARDO trans.....:confused

:wink Ahhh, good catch. I must have been very tired when I posted from chasing around a four and six-year old.

Cheers,

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Maybe I misread this.
Did you say your wife is going out of town and you want to know how to put a "babe" in the passenger seat? Just drive the GT to the car show by yourself and I guarantee you'll have a babe or two to take for a ride.

tblackj

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2007
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Maybe I misread this.
Did you say your wife is going out of town and you want to know how to put a "babe" in the passenger seat? Just drive the GT to the car show by yourself and I guarantee you'll have a babe or two to take for a ride.

I can afford the car... but no way in this world I can afford to put a babe in the passenger seat! That would cost me millions!

tblackj

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2007
Thomas, you started 2 threads in one day. I am so proud! :banana
Now, hang around a become a regular! Sign up for the rally in Vegas and I will put your car on the big rig with ours! :cheers:cheers

When is this Rally? I need to look into that.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Black, look for the Rally thread. Go to the very last page for details and a list of the attendees. You need to book your room and get paid up by the 15th of July. FJP

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thank you Ford for the gift of the LATCH anchor points and the airbag deactivation. My friends with Lotus Exiges and Ferrari F550's end up driving their family sedans to car shows if they want (or have to) take their kids. Fun to have the kids sit in the front, they can see well and talk to you easier.

It's the best! Takes a little contorting and knuckle busting to get the Recaro latched, but definitely do-able. I've done it so many times, it's not too bad.
I had a Britax Marathon that was easier to install, but I am more comfortable with the Recaro construction and position of the seat, the Britax sat really high, due to a high base. Do your own research on what child seats are safe, and don't skimp on quality.

Some tips - Put some carefully folded cloths under any pressure points to protect your seats and also allow you to pull tethers strong for a secure and solid fit. Have your kid take their shoes off if they are a toddler or your dash will likely have shoe scuffs.

Step One: I bought some unused factory option seat covers from a forum member, and look, already has latch cutouts from the factory. Not the prettiest thing, but gets the job done:

IMG_0563.jpg

Step Two: Turn off airbag, then install. Recaro has side impact protection, strong frame, and is comfortably padded:

IMG_0565.jpg

Side View:

IMG_0566.jpg

Ready for fun times. The best thing you can do is share the experience of the GT with your little ones. Again, turn off the airbag and turn it on after seat removal.

Diaper bag or spare clothes goes in a messenger bag and on the passenger floorboard. Bottled water in a secure sip cup is the only approved in flight drink...

Car shows galore...My little guy has gone for more shotgun rides than any other passenger. Probably about 50+ rides/trips at this point.

IMG_5188.jpg

KYLEFORDGT.jpg

Last edited: