Aviation History Under Way

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The Navy successfully conducted take-offs and landings from the nuclear aircraft carrier, the USS George H.W. Bush, with a new stealth jet called the X-47B.

What is so different about this plane is the fact that it is a 'drone'. It is completely unmanned. Drones come in all sizes and the X-47B is likely one of the larger ones.

What is so ironic about all of this is the fact that the enemy cannot detect a plane like this in the first place. In the unlikely event they get lucky at shooting one down, there will be no human loss of life or captivity.

As you view the flight deck crew signaling the plane, they are simply signaling the on-board cameras, who in turn are being manned by staff inside the command intelligence center (CIC) on board the ship. Also check out the short distance this plane needs for a takeoff.

[video=youtube;WC8U5_4lo2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8U5_4lo2c[/video]

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
way cool... just think that clip is now 2.5 yrs old

wonder if its active by now?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I got the privilege of a VIP tour on this carrier. Amazing crew. Amazing ship.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I got the pleasure of working with the Carrier/Airwing/Naval Aviation people for many years...thank you citizens/tax payers!
I got the privilege of a VIP tour on this carrier. Amazing crew. Amazing ship.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Cool.... and yet we are impotent and cannot take out ANY of the bad guys in the world. sad
:(:(
andy (ajb)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Like to hear Waldo’s take on it!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Looks like an upside down manta ray. Strange seeing a plane with out a canopy, so much wasted space gained back (the cockpit).... Not to mention the lost weight for the life support equipment. Amazing technology at work.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Is this the model that was taken down over Iran 1-2 years ago and subsequently dismantled by them so they could reverse engineer the technology?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Is this the model that was taken down over Iran 1-2 years ago and subsequently dismantled by them so they could reverse engineer the technology?
No, that was a RQ-170. This UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle, in military-speak) has not yet been flown in operational conditions.

One thing I found interesting from my experience as a Naval Aviator: The JBDs (jet blast deflectors) were not used. These are big steel doors that tilt up from the flight deck to deflect the jet blast up and over anything behind them, otherwise the force of the jet blast tends to sweep stuff over the side (especially flight deck crew). That seems to indicate that there isn't a lot of blast from the X-47. There also doesn't appear to be a need for an LSO (landing signals officer, the guy that signals to pilots whether they are high or low on glideslope to the landing and arresting gear)

You're looking at the future of aviation. I expect that the current generation of manned fighters and bombers are the end of the line (reconnaissance has already largely transition to UAVs). They will stay in service for a long time, but all future designs will be unmanned. Transport aircraft, including most helicopters, and some other aircraft may remain manned for the next handful of decades, since human life is involved, but anything that performs missions in hostile territory will transition to unmanned.

Tomcat

GT Owner
There also doesn't appear to be a need for an LSO (landing signals officer, the guy that signals to pilots whether they are high or low on glideslope to the landing and arresting gear)
I don't get it...who's is going to give you crap about an okay, 2-wire pass?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
No, that was a RQ-170. This UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle, in military-speak) has not yet been flown in operational conditions.

One thing I found interesting from my experience as a Naval Aviator: The JBDs (jet blast deflectors) were not used. These are big steel doors that tilt up from the flight deck to deflect the jet blast up and over anything behind them, otherwise the force of the jet blast tends to sweep stuff over the side (especially flight deck crew). That seems to indicate that there isn't a lot of blast from the X-47. There also doesn't appear to be a need for an LSO (landing signals officer, the guy that signals to pilots whether they are high or low on glideslope to the landing and arresting gear)

You're looking at the future of aviation. I expect that the current generation of manned fighters and bombers are the end of the line (reconnaissance has already largely transition to UAVs). They will stay in service for a long time, but all future designs will be unmanned. Transport aircraft, including most helicopters, and some other aircraft may remain manned for the next handful of decades, since human life is involved, but anything that performs missions in hostile territory will transition to unmanned.

Very cool video.. The transition to unmanned military aviation has been in work for many decades. The current aircraft for both shore and sea based applications will probably be the last. I'm sure there may be special application airframes that may have occupant's, but they will be few.

As far as the takeoff run for the aircraft, that is a normal run.. Cat shot end speed is a function of what aircraft is being launched and how much it weights. Steam CAT's and the follow on tech are amazing devices. End speeds of 160+knots are not uncommon(about 184 mph).The Cat was capable of moving approx 80,000 to 140kts in 250 feet. The extra speed was wind over the deal. Its quite a kick in the rear.

As for control, I think the guy at 2:06 is controlling the aircraft for the launch. Once the takeoff is complete and the aircraft "cleaned up", it is passed off to another "below deck" controller. My guess.

The landing to the back of the ship, is something they have been doing for over 30 years with current aircraft. Know as a Mode one approach, it is controlled by the ship and monitored by the pilot. There will be times when the ship movement and sea state preclude automated approach(based on what I knew 28 years ago). I would think an LSO and on deck UAV controller would work together to coordinated an approach during those times, if flight ops where required.

Benefits to this type of system are numerous. Not only can the airframe be made much more differently..stronger, lighter, more maneuverable,able to carry more everything. This is because of the limitation a human puts on design. No longer have to build a pressurized capsule to keep the operator alive throughout the operating envelope.

This will also have huge affects on the requirements and configurations of the aircraft carriers. You would no longer have house/feed a 1500-2000 man air wing on the ship.. Probably down to 500 or so, would depend on the reliability of the aircraft. This would also reduce the carrier manning.

This reduction would continue throughout the entire evolution of producing a Naval Carrier air wing or shore based air wing. A much leaner, harder hitting force :)

Pete, as for the JBD's. Not uncommon during limited ops to not need them. Depending on the Cat used and aircraft type, they would not extend the JBD's. For after burning (AB) launches, they would normally use CAT 1or 3, since they where the only cooled JBD's. If we launched off the other CAT's, they would leave the JBD's down and warn the flight deck crew.. And clear the LSO platform ;).

Again, this is from 28 years ago, but most is probably current. Info from the guys who are current that I work with.

Bruce

Transition to commercial aviation is probably 1-2 decades away, but something that is currently being worked on.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I don't get it...who's is going to give you crap about an okay, 2-wire pass?
Uh, another computer?

Tomcat

GT Owner
Uh, another computer?

Siri or "bitchin betty".