Average time to install a Heffner

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I had Jason send me one of his exhuasts. I had a lift in my garage and plan to install it tonight. I am told that while it can be done without removing the clamshell, it is better to remove it . True?

Also, how long a project is this --measured in either beers or hours?

Starting to wish I had bumper delete kit--I guess that is next.

H

HHGT

I've seen it done in 3 hrs without clamshell removal.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I was able to do it without removal of the shell.
If you are removing an original O.E.M. muffler keep in mind it's a bit heavy
and although someone might have a trick for doing it with out removing the bumper, I wasen't able to. I did a bumper delete at the same time so it didn't matter .
If you take your time and get someone to help lift the old one out you should be able to do it after dinner and still be able to watch Family Guy and Robot Chicken before bed time.:lol

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Took me 2.5 - 3 hours on a Saturday morning without removing either clamshell or rear bumper. See what a search gives... There was a nice write-up on the process maybe 2 years ago.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2992&highlight=exhaust+installation

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3100&highlight=exhaust+installation

As mentioned above, stock muffler is a bit heavy but with plenty of blankets / protection you can sit on back of engine and carefully pull it out.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
2+ hr's with Clamshell on. Be sure to use a lot of Blue Tape!

...............had three Gin and Tonics while doing it!

H

HHGT

2+ hr's with Clamshell on. Be sure to use a lot of Blue Tape!

...............had three Gin and Tonics while doing it!

Weren't Gin & Tonic the Brass Pole Twins Mike? 3 Minutes each?:biggrin

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
It takes less than a few minutes.

If your a west coast guy, Shaddowman writes the credit card numbers down.

If your east coast guy, the GT guys scan the card so I think they might be a bit faster.

If you mention DBK they give you a free burger & a beer while you wait

:biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
It takes less than a few minutes.

If your a west coast guy, Shaddowman writes the credit card numbers down.

If your east coast guy, the GT guys scan the card so I think they might be a bit faster.

If you mention DBK they give you a free burger & a beer while you wait

:biggrin

Well stated.... I take a bit longer however much time is spent blue taping and wrapping all of the at risk areas.

Thank you

Shadowman

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Thanks, guys. Final tally. 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 4 beers. More specifically, it took my long time Viper tech 2 hours, 15 minutes, and me sitting on a stool drinking 4 beers watching him to get it done.

Shadowman, I had printed out your directions which were quite helpful. He did it with clamshell on and bumper off--zero problems or scratches. He is the ultimate perfectionist and one of the best Viper techs in the country and I suspect could have done it in 2 hours flat.

My tech loved the Heffner exhaust and during the process I contantly heard "cool", "wow" from him. Then we fired it up--great sound. I really need the bumper delete--as shame to hide those pipes.

Thnaks again:cheers

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks, guys. Final tally. 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 4 beers. More specifically, it took my long time Viper tech 2 hours, 15 minutes, and me sitting on a stool drinking 4 beers watching him to get it down.

Shadowman, I had printed out your directions which were quite helpful. He did it with clamshell on and bumper off--zero problems or scratches. He is the ultimate perfectionist and one of the best Viper techs in the country and I suspect could have done it in 2 hours flat.

My tech loved the Heffner exhaust and during the process I contantly heard "cool", "wow" from him. Then we fired it up--great sound. I really need the bumper delete--as shame to hide those pipes.

From this end you are very welcome

Thank you for the shared experience

Takes care

Shadowman

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Congrats on the successful conversion :banana

And having a bad ass viper tech HAHA

Gotta love the sound (and temp drop) of the Heffner exhaust... :cheers

ivanrho

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks, guys. Final tally. 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 4 beers. More specifically, it took my long time Viper tech 2 hours, 15 minutes, and me sitting on a stool drinking 4 beers watching him to get it done.

Can you share your Viper Tech's name and what dealer he works at? Local VCA members are always asking me to recommend a Tech to them, but there aren't many I know that I can pass along that info to.

ivanrho

Mar 26, 2010
Congrats on the successful conversion :banana

And having a bad ass viper tech HAHA

Gotta love the sound (and temp drop) of the Heffner exhaust... :cheers

Ray,

Can you post some of your Matte Black GT pics? I'd love to see it.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Can you share your Viper Tech's name and what dealer he works at? Local VCA members are always asking me to recommend a Tech to them, but there aren't many I know that I can pass along that info to.

Tim Harper, Pearson Dodge, Richmond. He has worked on my Vipers and other performance cars since 94. I'd say he and Tom Sessions in NC are 2 of the best in these parts.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Drummer,
If you do bumper delete, wouldn't you need shorter exhaust tips? I have the Heff on mine and love the sound.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Drummer,
If you do bumper delete, wouldn't you need shorter exhaust tips? I have the Heff on mine and love the sound.

Don't have it and not even sure I understand how it works.

ivanrho

Mar 26, 2010
Tim Harper, Pearson Dodge, Richmond. He has worked on my Vipers and other performance cars since 94. I'd say he and Tom Sessions in NC are 2 of the best in these parts.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass that along to anyone I know who needs it in that area.

I've met Tom on numerous occasions. He came down to Miami to do some recall work for the Vipers back 3-4 years ago. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Average time to install a Heffner.

Gentlemen,

Jason has done 2 installs that he is aware of. He does not plan on having any more children and has never discussed his method or time required.

Chip

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks, guys. Final tally. 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 4 beers.

another slow drinker:bored........:cheers

GTdrummer - check your PM.....

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Gentlemen,

Jason has done 2 installs that he is aware of. He does not plan on having any more children and has never discussed his method or time required.

Chip

Damn I am slow. I had to read this twice and then go back and look at my own header before I got it. Then laughed like hell.