Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wish the road and drivers in the US were is good as those in Germany!

Jay, thanks for the links.

p.s. I got the access hatch gasket yesterday.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Jay,

Thanks for posting this. They are some great videos.

I had the opportunity to drive my car on stretches on Autobahn several times before I moved back to the U.S. a year ago. I didn’t have the nerve to take the car above 185 mph as I refused to pass another car on a two lane highway going more 100 mph faster that the cars I was passing. Thus my high speed runs were limited to stretches of road with absolutely no other cars. A few comments on the German autobahn:

1. The roads are mostly like glass with few flaws in the pavement.
2. Most stretches of autobahn (German for highway) aren’t what they used to be. Today much of the autobahn network of highways is plugged-up with heavy traffic, and in particular large trucks. If you watch these videos you’ll notice that they were all shot very early in the morning. There is a reason for this as this is often required to minimize traffic for a high-speed run.
3. Most of the autobahn network of highways now has speed limits imposed. The best sections to drive fast, where there are no speed limits and with little traffic, are along the Dutch border.
4. Going fast safely on an autobahn is not only possible because of the quality of the roads or the fact that you can find areas to drive without a speed limit but, in my view, is because German drivers traveling in the right lane at 70 mph expect traffic in the left lane to be traveling at much higher speeds. There are numerous horrific accidents on the autobahn each year where someone enters the left lane only to be creamed from behind by a car traveling at 170 mph. The slow moving car in these accidents is usually a foreigner driving though Germany.

Cheers,

Rob

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
The CHP only want to ticket persons with $$$

Jay,

Thanks for posting this. They are some great videos.

I had the opportunity to drive my car on stretches on Autobahn several times before I moved back to the U.S. a year ago. I didn’t have the nerve to take the car above 185 mph as I refused to pass another car on a two lane highway going more 100 mph faster that the cars I was passing. Thus my high speed runs were limited to stretches of road with absolutely no other cars. A few comments on the German autobahn:

1. The roads are mostly like glass with few flaws in the pavement.
2. Most stretches of autobahn (German for highway) aren’t what they used to be. Today much of the autobahn network of highways is plugged-up with heavy traffic, and in particular large trucks. If you watch these videos you’ll notice that they were all shot very early in the morning. There is a reason for this as this is often required to minimize traffic for a high-speed run.
3. Most of the autobahn network of highways now has speed limits imposed. The best sections to drive fast, where there are no speed limits and with little traffic, are along the Dutch border.
4. Going fast safely on an autobahn is not only possible because of the quality of the roads or the fact that you can find areas to drive without a speed limit but, in my view, is because German drivers traveling in the right lane at 70 mph expect traffic in the left lane to be traveling at much higher speeds. There are numerous horrific accidents on the autobahn each year where someone enters the left lane only to be creamed from behind by a car traveling at 170 mph. The slow moving car in these accidents is usually a foreigner driving though Germany.

Cheers,

Rob
Well hello Rob,

This is typical and it sounds as though Germany is slowly getting destroyed by tourism! Meaning, that their unlimited speed limit will go away soon. Hitler would turn in his grave...

Can you imagine an illegal alien (meaning NO driver's license, OR souldn't have one) in the "fast lane" going about 55-60 MPH? He/she would be creamed in Germany. Yet, we put up with it here (in CA) and I have NEVER seen case where someone was ticketed for doing such a dangerous thing... The CHP only want to ticket persons with $$$.

Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I wish the road and drivers in the US were is good as those in Germany!

Jay, thanks for the links.

p.s. I got the access hatch gasket yesterday.
BlackICE,

I agree. The Germans pay a lot of money for a driver's license and in this country, you are better off not even having one!

Jay

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hitler would turn in his grave...

The CHP only want to ticket persons with $$$.

Jay

Jay, you should be cited for posting without engaging your brain.
:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Laws and rules have to be composed for the least common denominator

Jay, you should be cited for posting without engaging your brain.
bony, et al,

Oh, my brain was engaged, it's just I am not part of the "politically correct" crowd. When you have to put up little yellow signs that say "Slippery when wet", it was meant for the tourist, not his people... Don't get me wrong, we are just slowly evolving to a very dumb society...

Laws and rules have to be sculpted for the least common denominator. Bring back the Darwin Awards! :ack:ack:ack

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...When you have to put up little yellow signs that say "Slippery when wet", it is meant for the tourist, not his people... Don't get me wrong, we are just slowly evolving to a very dumb society...

Laws and rules have to be sculpted for the least common denominator. Bring back the Darwin Awards! :ack:ack:ack

Evolving, we are already there! Average IQ = 100, which isn't too impressive! Dumb signs exist not because of dummies, but because lawyers bring suits. Read the warning labels on hammers, jack stands, power tools, etc. Also look at the owner manual of any car, almost more pages devoted to warnings that how to operate the car. CYA!

The challenge is for the US to get our citizens (or PC, inhabitants) to be smarter and to work harder than the other countries that we are competing with. Like it or not, we are competing.

IQ information,

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Heres a reply from the first video:

Didn't look like 214mph to me!

This guy must be joking.

Hey Jay,

Could you upload the 5th video for download I would like to make a GIF Avatar out of it if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Evolving, we are already there! Average IQ = 100, which isn't too impressive! Dumb signs exist not because of dummies, but because lawyers bring suits. Read the warning labels on hammers, jack stands, power tools, etc. Also look at the owner manual of any car, almost more pages devoted to warnings that how to operate the car. CYA!

The challenge is for the US to get our citizens (or PC, inhabitants) to be smarter and to work harder than the other countries that we are competing with. Like it or not, we are competing.

IQ information,

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html
BlackICE,

This is all sad but true. Please don't shoot us messengers'...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Heres a reply from the first video:

This guy must be joking.

Hey Jay,

Could you upload the 5th video for download I would like to make a GIF Avatar out of it if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason,

I will see what can be done on this, Jay

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Thanks man :)

If you want some suggestions on how to upload it you could use www.filefront.com(has fast upload speeds and download speeds plus unlimited download limit for free but you have to sign up for an account.).

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Jose can you si?

Can you imagine an illegal alien (meaning NO driver's license, OR souldn't have one) in the "fast lane" going about 55-60 MPH?.....we put up with it here (in CA)....The CHP only want to ticket persons with $$$.
Jay

Jay,

Operating convenience stores in the inner city requires my close cooperation with both the Highway Patrol and police officers on a daily basis. With very few exceptions, these officers are a delight to have around and they share many of the same frustrations that you and I do. They genuinely could care less who has money and who doesn't, they don't work on commission. It is true, at least here in Arizona, that illegal aliens are not issued traffic tickets even for fairly serious violations, nor are they cited or arrested for most minor criminal violations. During the last year my business has suffered over $30,000 in damages caused by illegal aliens smashing in my pumps and car wash while driving drunk with no insurance, drivers license, or registration. The moment the police officer found out the individual was an illegal alien, he was released and allowed to drive off. But not because he didn't have any money. A destitute US citizen would have been arrested for the same offense. The reason illegals are released is because of our court system and the police don't like it one bit. In every case, a judge will release an illegal alien the next morning on his own recognizance, who will then never show up in court. With no drivers license, no social security number, and absolutely no way to track them or even verify what their actual name is, it has proven to be a waste of time to ticket or jail them. ICE will not pick them up and deport them, judges refuse to keep them in jail, and they never show up in court because they don't have to. This drives a stake directly into the heart of one of the core principles that this nation was founded upon, equal justice under the law. US citizens are punished harshly for breaking laws that illegal aliens can violate without fear of any punishment. You can blame the courts and our political leaders, but not our law enforcement officers. Cheers.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well said Chip! Same in CA with illegal. I heard of a case where a Federal Court Judge was in involved in a hit a run, by in illegal. Followed the culprit to a shopping mall, called the CHP. When the CHP found out it was an illegal alien the person was let go! If it was any of us that did the same thing we would be lockup in jail.

If I drove a beater car, didn't carry any documents and broke the law, then proceed to tell the officer I was an undocumented worker, I don't think I would receive the same lenient treatment.

Life isn't fair and then there are taxes.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
thank you Chip.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Well hello Rob,

Can you imagine an illegal alien (meaning NO driver's license, OR souldn't have one) in the "fast lane" going about 55-60 MPH? He/she would be creamed in Germany.

Jay

Jay,

The driving 55 mph in the left lane seems to be an issue everywhere in the United States and it drives me crazy. I’m not a big fan of many things German but when it comes to cars and driving they seem to get it right. In Germany during your test to obtain your driver’s licence you have to demonstrate that you know how to change a tire on your car. I think this is fantastic. I the Netherlands 70% of people taking their driving test to obtain their drivers licence fail the first time… and this when most people take rigorous driver training instruction before they even test for their licence. The standards for getting one’s licence are just that much higher. Now compare that to the Lexus television commercials now running in the U.S. which highlight the new capability of Lexus cars to parallel-park without human intervention as a big selling benefit of its cars. Do we really want people driving on our roads who have been de-skilled as drivers to the point where they can’t even parallel-park an automobile?

Rob

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I recall driving on the Autobahn after the wall came down and the little 2 stroke Tribants would pull out in the left at 60kmp and cause mayhem.

Today if you want to really run wide open, there are places along the Adriatic where the authorities will block off the on ramps, turn off the cameras and let you rip... all for a fee.
Hello Stefan? The Ferrari guys have had some mind blowing runs. Anyone up for one?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I recall driving on the Autobahn after the wall came down and the little 2 stroke Tribants would pull out in the left at 60kmp and cause mayhem.

Today if you want to really run wide open, there are places along the Adriatic where the authorities will block off the on ramps, turn off the cameras and let you rip... all for a fee.
Hello Stefan? The Ferrari guys have had some mind blowing runs. Anyone up for one?

How about having Rally III there? What does it cost to ship our cars to Germany and back if you got bulk rates?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...Do we really want people driving on our roads who have been de-skilled as drivers to the point where they can’t even parallel-park an automobile?

Rob

Yes, of course we do. In this country many people believe most things are a right, not a privilege. Driving is just one example. Easy to pass the test in most states, written tests are given in more than one language, the skills required during the driving tests are low. Another is making a living, non-productive workers get paid to do little or nothing, if you don't even want to warm a chair the government will give you money taken from those work harder the list goes on and on. Do you want to vote but can read, or write English, don't worry it is your right to vote, how about ballots in the language of your choice?

:frown

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
How about having Rally III there? What does it cost to ship our cars to Germany and back if you got bulk rates?

We have had some serious talk about a trip. General opinion is that Nurburgring is not the safe track to run on. Two gents that I knew from the UK and FerrariChat board perished in their 360 at that track. There are other places to guy for great auto events and high speed touring in France, Italy and along the Adriatic. The cost will be the same as a luxury cruise with a suite.
Contact me via email or phone to discuss further.